Official Community Forums Home

Hello

snakeman

• Members

To start with I go by Snakeman because that's my hobby. I have been keeping snakes for about 37 years now. I'm 49 years old and have been married for 27 years. We have a daughter she is 23. We have been looking around the forum for a few days now, so I decided to introduce myself.

Sorry it's short but I'm not one to talk a lot.

• Members

WELCOME! WHen you say you "keep snakes" you mean live ones, right? I am DEATHLY afraid of snakes....really, really, REALLY afraid! I admire your guts....just keep em' away from me! LOL

• Members

Keeping snakes, never heard of it. Thats interesting. Welcome to the board!

• Members

Welcome!! I held my first live snake this recent Summer (although with almost two feet of snow on the ground right now, Summer seems looooong ago!) and although I was totally freaked out, I thought it was AWESOME! I wanted to go back and do it again! :)

Nice to have you join us!

• Members

Welcome to the board. Glad to see that we have at least 1 common interest. I have had many Ball Pythons until 8 or so years ago. When I was stationed in the Mojave I had 1 mother and 2 baby Sidewinders, a Mojave green, and caught a Mojave Red. Our AO was set up just for my critters. I also had a gopher snake that would always travel with me. I have forgotten to tell a few people and was almost thrown out of a taxi for it. He saw it moving. Even though he was scared he did get out and ask me to show him. As long as I didn't get near him. We've all seen people do that and that is a reason that some people are afraid of them. Since you didn't say are you a breeder, buyer or ???

• Members

Hey! I'm a snake person, too! People are always freaked out by it! I have a Ball Python that I have had since he was about 7 weeks old. Have had him now for 5 years. He is the second one I have had - the first one was stolen, and I just had to have another!

Welcome and keep posting!

• Members

Ginger,

There are thousands of people in the US that keep snakes, Non Venomous and Venomous. I have both.

Valntyn,

What kind of snake did you hold? Was it at a Reptile Show?

Pappy,

Nice to see you have kept some Venomous snakes. Mojave's have very potent venom. Gopher snakes make very nice pets. A lot of people are afraid of snakes. But I have gotten a lot of people to over come that fear and at least touch one. I have bred a few in the past. In a year or two I hope that my pair of Womas will bred. But I do co promote Reptile Shows in the Southeast.

Hollywood,

Sorry you had your first one stolen. I know what you mean by having to get another one. Have you ever been to a Reptile Show?

• Members
Valntyn,

Sorry, but I don't remember what kind she was. One of the "attractions" at a local zoo/amusement park is to have your picture taken with said snake. For years I wouldn't go near her, but I told myself to "just do it" -- and so I did. :) I sat and held her draped over my shoulders for a couple minutes. She was big, she was soft, and she was sweet -- nothing at all like how my mind made her out to be. :) AND I got a picture to prove to myself later in life that I did it. *laugh* ;)

• Members

No, I've never been to a reptile show. I haven't heard of one around our parts, but I would love to go to one. I have always been interested in all sorts of reptiles. The only type of "show" I have been to is at my husbands step-grandfather's house. They raise rattlers for venom! I don't know that I would keep a venomous snake, as I have a small child and 2 cats!

• Members
Ginger,

There are thousands of people in the US that keep snakes, Non Venomous and Venomous. I have both.

Valntyn,

Pappy,

Nice to see you have kept some Venomous snakes. Mojave's have very potent venom. Gopher snakes make very nice pets. A lot of people are afraid of snakes. But I have gotten a lot of people to over come that fear and at least touch one. I have bred a few in the past. In a year or two I hope that my pair of Womas will bred. But I do co promote Reptile Shows in the Southeast.

Hollywood,

Sorry you had your first one stolen. I know what you mean by having to get another one. Have you ever been to a Reptile Show?

I know just what yu say about overcoming that fear but it takes responsible and careful action on our part as owners. I have tried to keep the taxi thin gin my mind and do tell people as soon as they are within earshot that I do have my snake out an with me. Some run, some don't. The last time we had ours out we were at the bait shop and the owners hubby was brought home by his boss who ran to his truck and left as soon as I said this. I understand why when the man had a bullsnake that was more than pissy inside the baitshop but when he would bring it out he would stick it in peoples faces. It had bitten many people and he was told by many that this was BULLSHIT. There finally came a point when many of us got fed up with this and told him we would kill the snake if he did it again. IDK what he did with it but I never saw it again.

• Members
Sorry, but I don't remember what kind she was. One of the "attractions" at a local zoo/amusement park is to have your picture taken with said snake. For years I wouldn't go near her, but I told myself to "just do it" -- and so I did. smile.gif I sat and held her draped over my shoulders for a couple minutes. She was big, she was soft, and she was sweet -- nothing at all like how my mind made her out to be. smile.gif AND I got a picture to prove to myself later in life that I did it. *laugh* wink.gif

Good for you. Do you still have the pic of you holding the snake? If I could see the pic I could tell you what kind it was.

No, I've never been to a reptile show. I haven't heard of one around our parts, but I would love to go to one. I have always been interested in all sorts of reptiles. The only type of "show" I have been to is at my husbands step-grandfather's house. They raise rattlers for venom! I don't know that I would keep a venomous snake, as I have a small child and 2 cats!

Hollywood, How far do you live from Atlanta GA ? We are having a Reptile Show March 1st and 2nd in Atlanta GA. http://www.repticon.com/atlanta/

I know just what yu say about overcoming that fear but it takes responsible and careful action on our part as owners. I have tried to keep the taxi thin gin my mind and do tell people as soon as they are within earshot that I do have my snake out an with me. Some run, some don't. The last time we had ours out we were at the bait shop and the owners hubby was brought home by his boss who ran to his truck and left as soon as I said this. I understand why when the man had a bullsnake that was more than pissy inside the baitshop but when he would bring it out he would stick it in peoples faces. It had bitten many people and he was told by many that this was BULLSHIT. There finally came a point when many of us got fed up with this and told him we would kill the snake if he did it again. IDK what he did with it but I never saw it again.

Pappy, you are right about that. I would have told that guy at the bait shop the same thing.