Official Community Forums Home

Waste Of Time

mystofpric

• Members

I just spend the last two days painting my bathroom. It was beautiful! However. I always wait until the paint is completely dry to peel off the painters tape. NOt so says mom. Peel it now. or I will. So I peel off the tape. Meanwhile mom has teh dryer going and all that humidity comes right up stairs into my bathroom. What happens? HUmidty and wet paint= bubblely and peeling paint. Half the paint peeled off with the tape and teh rest is bubbling. WHen I told her this she told me it was my own fault for painting when she was doing laundry. I HAVE BEEN PAINTING FOR 2 DAYS!!!! You couldn't have done your laundry BEFORE I started painting? Cause you knew I planned on doing it yesterday and today! and I told you that the paint was still tacky this morning, why would you think it was good to peeel the paint now? Why don't you listen to me you moron! DAMMIT! ugh, sorry. SOO Upset. It was so pretty too.

• Members

Perhaps a compromise is really a better idea hon! A pisser yes but Not an act worthy of extremes.

• Members

If it's just a few areas touch-ups are pretty easy!

• Members
Perhaps a compromise is really a better idea hon! A pisser yes but Not an act worthy of extremes.

I know. I'm seeing red but I'll just have to wait until next weekend to buy paint stripper and more paint. :unsure: When I say i refuse to talk to someone it usually means that I'm not going to hold long conversations but I can't actually ignore anyone. I might however have a good cry over the wasted effort

I don't kow if it's justa touch up job. The paint is bubbling off the wall.

• Members

Sounds like you painted over a gloss paint - which means no paint will ever stick to it. The paint would have peeled and bubbled no matter when she did the laundry. BEFORE you paint again...get as much of the bubbling paint off the walls. Buy a gallon of Kilz and/or some kind of primer that will adhere to the previous glossy paint (people at Home Depot or Lowes can direct you) - and prime the walls first. Your other alternative is to use stripper and/or sand...some how you've got to get that gloss off so new paint will stick.

Done a lot of painting and use to hang wallpaper for a living.....been there done that...learned that lesson! Good luck!

• Members
Sounds like you painted over a gloss paint - which means no paint will ever stick to it. The paint would have peeled and bubbled no matter when she did the laundry. BEFORE you paint again...get as much of the bubbling paint off the walls. Buy a gallon of Kilz and/or some kind of primer that will adhere to the previous glossy paint (people at Home Depot or Lowes can direct you) - and prime the walls first. Your other alternative is to use stripper and/or sand...some how you've got to get that gloss off so new paint will stick.

Done a lot of painting and use to hang wallpaper for a living.....been there done that...learned that lesson! Good luck!

Damn it, I think your right. <sigh> I may never get this to work. I'll try to get it to work tomorrow one last time before i cry. :)

• Members

totally agree with 2hotcatmom...latex over an oil-based paint will bubble no matter what. Scrape it off, consider wallpaper!!! :( Sorry you had to go through this. Nothing sucks worse than putting time into something only to have it break down right in front of your eyes..in just a few minutes!!

• Members
Make sure that it is Kilz!!!!!!I will prevent mold in your bathroom way better that the Bear from Home Depot. I have also found dont do it when its going to rain and leave windows open.

And open the windows or use a respirator..kilz will cause you to lose brain cells.

• Members

See I always thought you should use a base any way, but again I was told no.

As far s wall paper goes, I just took it all down (duckies everywehere!) so that's definite no. I actually scrapped off the rough spots and it seems to have taken. I'll have to wait until my first shower and then see what's up. I guess for once I shouldn't haven listened to my elders. :) Or at least mom any way!

• Members

I must say that I have to agree with all who suggested Kilz. I love that stuff! Costs a bit more but the results are worthy of it!

• Members

Poor SuzyP I feel for you girl. I've made a ton of mistakes redoing our old house. The kilz primer is a good suggestion. Just make sure you get the right one, they make quite a few different kinds. Just remember we always learn from our mistakes what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, or at least a lot happier when its all over with. Good luck with the bathroom. ;)

• Members
Poor SuzyP I feel for you girl. I've made a ton of mistakes redoing our old house. The kilz primer is a good suggestion. Just make sure you get the right one, they make quite a few different kinds. Just remember we always learn from our mistakes what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, or at least a lot happier when its all over with. Good luck with the bathroom. ;)

So i'm gonna be honest I got lazy. It's not my house, and i was following their advice. I cut out the bad paint taht wasn't sticking, the bonus is that it peeled up the old paint too. I have laid the first coat of touch ups and I'm going to apply more tomorrow. Stick a fork in me I'm done. :) Kiltz will be used in the next room I paint if i ever paint again. :)

Anytime you do a home improvement, please find someone that either does it professionally, or ask a home improvement center, like Lowe's or Home Depot. There are soooo many ways to do stuff, and they're all different. Everyone has their own style, yet there are but a few ways that generally work all the time. And, again, it depends on what you're working with. Do what YOU feel is right, since YOU'RE the one doing the work.

If you had taken wallpaper off the wall prior to painting, and the paper wasn't peeling off the surface it was on, then paint should have stuck to it, with no problems.

With bubbling paint, I would also recommend using Kilz too, prior to doing more with the paint. Especially if your mom's dryer is putting some much moisture in the house!

If you are going to repaint, ask her to hault on the laundry for a few days, if there's a window in the bathroom, crack it, and have a fan blow INTO the bathroom to vent and to dry it for a couple of days. And, yes, you wait until the paint's dry to remove the tape, otherwise, the wet paint can run onto what you were trying to prevent getting that color on, smudge, or sections of it will just come off (as you found out).

As far as the laundry goes, unless she is venting the dryer in the house (not vented outside), then doing laundry should really have nothing to do with peeling the paint. The dryer's vent, being vented outside, is designed to keep most of the moisture OUT of the house. If she's not venting outside, then, she's asking for more than peeling paint. Think mold & access lint everywhere. The former can cause hell in and on walls, fabrics, not to mention allergies, and wrecking havoc on the insurance premium when you have to get it taken care of (usually well over $5K for mold removal, depending on how bad it is). Some people don't want to cut a hole in their house to vent a dryer (if one's not present or conveniently located). But, the newer vent systems are easy, fairly inexpensive, and will help prevent issues later on. Plus, it's less of a fire hazard.

• Members

I might however have a good cry over the wasted effort>>

I think you deserve a good cry and a nice big slice of cheesecake! I always enjoy the actual painting part. . . it's the mess and cleanup and the first stain/marker/scuff that gets on my perfect walls that really gets me. And when the whole project goes to pot it's enough to make you pull your hair out!

• Members

Ohh cherie, cheese cake mmmmm. I might actually make some this weekend!

Tyger, she does vent in the house, creating a vent outdoors is all a part of her mast home renovation project. I had all my windows upstairs open trying to off set the humidty from the dryer but it's a suana up here anytime you do laundry, normally I don't mind it but come on! :)

As far as asking a professional, it's mom's house and I do it way she wants it done. It just happens to be wrong....

Thanks for the advice, so far my half assed way out of it seems to be working and as long as it's good enough for her and it doesn't look terrible then i'm okay with it as well.

off to teh post office, the new toys are here!

• Members

Venting a dryer to the interior is a fire hazard. I hope she has plans to fix that soon! It doesn't take much of a spark to catch lint on fire!

• Members

We know. It's been on their to do list for about a year. See they "built" a utility room to house the washer and dryer, it's just on the other side of teh wall where they are now (in my stairwell) The plan was to flip that around and run the vent under my bottom stair out the wall. But with running out of money and her boyfriend running out of steam, it just never happened. Now mom's on a rampage trying to get him to do that. PLus they still need to finish the was outside of the bathroom. My 1/2 walls up here need to be torn out so insoluation can be put in.

• Members
Aww sorry to hear that Suzy =[

But I bet the bathroom looks gorgeous :] you'll have to show us the before and after product!

I still need to paint the ceiling ( i got a litte carried away....) but that may wait a while until this last mess is out of my head, I'll take pictures tomorrow or friday after I get everything back in there! :)