Official Community Forums Home

Rude People

toohotcatmom

• Members

So today I had to go to the doctor re a referral to a surgeon for my gallbladder.... I haven't been to this doctor in a year (knock on wood) and have since then changed jobs and therefore insurance carriers. Now mind you, they worked me into today's schedule to see me since I went to the ER Saturday with a gallbladder attack (I thought I was gonna die! *spoken like rosanna rosanna danna*).

Well, when the receptionist finds out I've got different insurance, you would have thought the world ended and all hell broke loose. "well, it's gonna take time to verify your insurance before you see the doctor. You should have told them when you made the appointment. " to which she adds a slam down of my chart on the desk.

I merely stated that I had plenty of time and was in no hurry - take your time verifying it, I'm sure it will be fine. She was not pleased....

So I got to thinking...how many times do rude people appear in our life on a day to day basis and why do we tolerate them? Why do we suffer their petty grievances - and what can we do to stop the cycle when it's presented to us? Any thoughts, ideas, ramblings????

• Members

When I practiced gynecology, my nurses and I used to laugh about having a "say what you mean" day, where we would not have to be polite and kind, patient and understanding. (doesn't sound like you had this experience, today, 2hot!) We could just say what we were really thinking. I guess if this idea came from behind the desk, the people out front should get to do it, too, like you, 2hot, say what you really thought, and not have to feel bad for it. (or even thinking it) What a strange day that would be!!! If you could be free with words, but not harmful, then at least half of the bad feelings we carry inside would be gone..we would not have to tolerate repressed resentment. It seems to me over time communication would get easier. That's my utopia.

Now see, with my mouth, and lack of patience for rude behavior, I would've told her in no uncertain terms that it was HER job to check the insurance, and to kindly hand me my chart nicer. Trust me, sometimes people don't even realize they do that sort of thing, until you point it out.

I had words with a short ER doctor. Long story short, he kept ordering tests for my DD, without consulting me. I never use my height to intimidate. In fact, I steer clear of heels, and platforms. But, this time, I told the nurse that I wished to speak to him, and why. She was shocked that a mere patient would question the dr. but he came in, and I stood to my full 5'9" frame, and to his maybe 5'-ness, I clearly told him he would respect me as her mother, and that he would clear and explain the why's and how's BEFORE anymore tests were run. He was shocked, but he did so. And, a year later, I took my little sister there, and that doctor was there (my little sister is 23), and when HER test results came in, he explained them to ME!! LMAO

My point being, many medical offices and professionals forget that they are actually YOUR worker, not the other way around, and that there are more and more medical places to go, so, if they don't play nice, they will loose patients. I have no problem telling them that too.

• Members

Oh I forgot to tell you I did tell the doctor about it and how I thought their front desk people needed to have some interpersonal training. She took notes and said she would talk to the office manager...so I'm sure that was fun.

But I'm just not going to train their staff for them...

• Members

Awww, so sorry you had to go through this hon.

It really would be great if everyone could have a "speak your mind day"

at least it would be great if everyone could be point blank and honest.

Not like me anyways, when I speak my mind.. well we all know what happens there LOL

Yes, it is theri job to verify insurance info, and yeah it might have saved like what, a whole 10 -15 minutes today, the info certainly wouln't have changed the total outcome of the day.

whether it was last week or today, they still would have had to verify it, and they still woulda spent time on the phone.

Sounds to me like the receptionist forgot to take her daily dose of prozac....

You knew tat one was coming...

((hugs))

• Members

This is for sure my area!! I have had the chance to work both front and back office in a Medical Office and also of course been on the opposite side of the fence where I was the Patient. Now being that my background was and is Medical I will not put up with the BS from a receptionist Dr or Nurse. I have learned that yes being in the medical field can be hard sometimes but it is a choice it is not an obligation. I have always treated my patients with kindness and I know I can not speak for everyone out there in the medical field because there are a lot of Drs and nurses who just do not have that bed side hospitality that they should. I am sorry that you recieved bad service and I hope that the receptionist was spoken to about the situation and does not treat you in that manner again. Good Luck!!

• Members
It's the city 2Hot lives in. "Rudevania". I get rude 40 hrs a week. I usually say something really off the wall "are your socks different colors" they shut up and either I walk away or they realize they've been "mind f****d"

And the south is suppose to be so hospitable....

Love the mind f****d!

• Members

When I was little, my physician had 2 offices. My mother would REFUSE to go to one because the receptionist was so terrible.... I didn't like going to it because they spoke to me like I was a perpetual child.... Granted, I was little, but I could understand a hell of a lot more than they thought.

Now, my mom has the doctors explain things to me to explain them to HER simpler.... The doctors still don't realize I know a lot about a lot (I became an EMT at 16 and started working in hospitals at 17), so they are taken aback by questions. I've told my primary physician (and their receptionists) in no uncertain terms that I, not my mother, am the patient and anything that needs to be explained needs to be said to ME as well.

Rude receptionists and physicians get to me. Particularly when they question your intelligence and treat you like a 6 year old. A "say what you mean" day would be GREAT, but could also cause strife....

• Members

Ya know I gotta say that sometimes I worry about saying "take your time" I'm always afraid someone is going to take it as sarcasim (cause I am normally sarcastic). But ya know what? It takes mmm 5 minutes tops to verify your insurence. They even have little machines now that scan the card so teh computer can do it for the receptionist. Geez, it's not like you moved, changed your name and got new insurence. SOme people. Oh well, you can always come back to us, we're not normally rude.