Official Community Forums Home

Work Out Help

mystofpric

• Members

So okay, I was doing REALLY good with my diet and my workouts, but then I got bored with Carmen, any advice? I'm really not looking to buy any equipment if i can help it, we have a bowflex, but I'm never sure if I'm using it right and I know that working out wrong can hurt me more so I dobn't use it any more. So any advice? Also I know i need a work out buddy and I LOVE the circuit training at gyms but all the gyms are about 1/2 an hour away from me and I don't have hours to spend working out sadly. So any advice would be great!

• Members
So okay, I was doing REALLY good with my diet and my workouts, but then I got bored with Carmen, any advice? I'm really not looking to buy any equipment if i can help it, we have a bowflex, but I'm never sure if I'm using it right and I know that working out wrong can hurt me more so I dobn't use it any more. So any advice? Also I know i need a work out buddy and I LOVE the circuit training at gyms but all the gyms are about 1/2 an hour away from me and I don't have hours to spend working out sadly. So any advice would be great!

We'll there lots of ways to work out depending on your goal, I have learned with weights( free weight or machines) that the amout of weight is not as important and the technique is so movements should never be jerky. it should be controlled at all times so in lifting a weight it should not be to eazy but not to taxing. better for someone to lift 10 lbs with good form vs 25 lbs that is just being heaved up with everything but the muscles being worked. You can do 3 sets of 10 reps with 25 lb in a sloppy style( cheating) and rish injusry in an excersie yet do the same excercise with 10 lbs and be lucky if you even get to two sets at 10 reps and end up with a better result because you spent two seconds lift, a sex pause then lowered for 3 to 4 seconds then repeated. Many guys have a problem with this but many top body builders do not. Body needs stress and different types of stress to create work load. Before even increasing weight if your doing sets and feel like you need to increase weight, ask yourself have you tried shorting the time between sets. a short workout is better, diet and rest are as important or more so then the excercise.

Arobic training: Have you thought about the dvd out there by Bob & Julia Powers weith james and Juanna Kunitz they advertise for dance and arobics. It taking dance moves and making another work out out of them. Of course belly dancing will really take you there but if you every decide you want to take up ballroom and/or salsa dancing then all these plus carmon Electra will help turn you into a hot dancer well sough after if you relax and let your hair down. It will really improve your sex life.

Glenn

• Members

Why don't you try a Pilates video. It is SO hard but it freakin' works! That and a low carb diet and you will have great results in no time!

• Members
Why don't you try a Pilates video. It is SO hard but it freakin' works! That and a low carb diet and you will have great results in no time!

I tried a yoga video and well, i used it once and it sits on my self. LOL I haven't tried pilates, do i need one of those bands or anything? Nothing sucks worse than getting a video and realizing you need more stuff to do the video.

Glenn- I have Carmen, and honestly only the first two discs are worth a snot after that thy get repetitive and I'm kinda bored with her right now. "Bob & Julia Powers weith james and Juanna Kunitz" I'll look for this one around here, I need to get a routine going so that I don't get bored. I want to get back into doing my color guard excerises and such but those flags are soooo freaking expensive!

• Members

How about finding a friend or acquaintance to do vigorous walking with after work. It's a great whole body work out, and if you add some light weight arms/leg weights you'll get even greater benefit from it.

• Members
I tried a yoga video and well, i used it once and it sits on my self. LOL I haven't tried pilates, do i need one of those bands or anything? Nothing sucks worse than getting a video and realizing you need more stuff to do the video.

I have a video and I just do the resistance exercises, that is, when I do them, it's been awhile! There are a million of those Pilates videos out there. They are pretty much the same but have different sequences. Mine has a bunch of workouts from 9-20 minutes. Some use accessories some don't. You do kind of need a mat. I use a blanket but it is not the best thing since we have wood floors and is slips. Usually you can see on the back of the video what accessories you could need. I already had weights and a ball.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

You said you'd prefer not to have to buy new equipment, but nonetheless I'm gonna make a plug for bicycle riding. I find it gives me a good workout; I enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of being outdoors. I enjoy coming across different wildlife (everything from squirrels, chipmonks, bunny rabbits and groundhogs to turkeys, snakes, deer, and bears (not crazy about the snakes; jury is still out on the bears)). And various farm critters. Hate traffic, though. Varying the route helps keep it from getting boring, as do the different weather, seasons, and times of the day.

The breeze keeps the bugs away (except it sucks when one thwacks you in the eyeball), and keeps you a little cooler than other exercise.

I try to combine the riding with a quick dumbell/pushup/pullup/stummy crunch routine, about all I have time for.

If you were to ride far enough from home, it would be good to cary tools and a pump for fixing flat tires.

Might also be good to ride with someone else; there are creepos out there. When I was 16, on a 3-week bike/camping trip across Massachusettes, one girl in the group took a wrong turn, ended up alone on a quiet country road, and got attacked; that will forever stick in my head. And a girl from work narrowly missed getting attacked.

On the other hand, I do see several women by me walking, jogging, or biking on their own, so I guess it depends on how well-travelled the roads are that you're on; but on the other other hand, the girl from work was not in that desolate of an area.

• Members
You said you'd prefer not to have to buy new equipment, but nonetheless I'm gonna make a plug for bicycle riding. I find it gives me a good workout; I enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of being outdoors. I enjoy coming across different wildlife (everything from squirrels, chipmonks, bunny rabbits and groundhogs to turkeys, snakes, deer, and bears (not crazy about the snakes; jury is still out on the bears)). And various farm critters. Hate traffic, though. Varying the route helps keep it from getting boring, as do the different weather, seasons, and times of the day.

The breeze keeps the bugs away (except it sucks when one thwacks you in the eyeball), and keeps you a little cooler than other exercise.

I try to combine the riding with a quick dumbell/pushup/pullup/stummy crunch routine, about all I have time for.

If you were to ride far enough from home, it would be good to cary tools and a pump for fixing flat tires.

Might also be good to ride with someone else; there are creepos out there. When I was 16, on a 3-week bike/camping trip across Massachusettes, one girl in the group took a wrong turn, ended up alone on a quiet country road, and got attacked; that will forever stick in my head. And a girl from work narrowly missed getting attacked.

On the other hand, I do see several women by me walking, jogging, or biking on their own, so I guess it depends on how well-travelled the roads are that you're on; but on the other other hand, the girl from work was not in that desolate of an area.

Thanks Square, I took a route very close to this, I bought new (good) running shoes. Actually they atre trail runners as that's what I'm going to be doing mostly.

• Members

start off each work out ALWAYS with stretching/warming up then move to cardio - this is SOOOO important. get 30-45 minutes of cardio in - tread, stairmaster, bike, elipitical whatever. End your carido by slowing down the last 2-3 minutes.

then move to weights. do reps of 3 counting 10-15-20-25 or 30 and increase your weight as you feel comfortable resting in between reps - get up and stretch.

i finish my work out w/ 150 sit ups on the ball. before bed each night i do another 150 sit ups on the ball.

i break up my work out by sitting in the hot sauna (I can't do steam w/ my mystic tan anymore but that's a good one, too) and then i also do lunges, butt crunches, etc to break things up. at the end, be sure and cool down/stretch.

LOTS, LOTS, LOTS of water. i drink no less than 8 bottles or tumblers of water each day. i cut out all sodas, juices and caffeine. everytime i want to eat, i drink water. no junk food or drive thru's except salads and eat 3 main meals and two light snacks each day. drink plenty of water while you're doing your cardio.

give yourself a rest on the weekends

www.exrx.com is a good site for targeting areas complete w/ pics and videos.

good luck! - p.s. don't forget to have lots of sex!

• Members
start off each work out ALWAYS with stretching/warming up then move to cardio - this is SOOOO important. get 30-45 minutes of cardio in - tread, stairmaster, bike, elipitical whatever. End your carido by slowing down the last 2-3 minutes.

then move to weights. do reps of 3 using 10-15-20-25- or 30 lbs and increase your weight as you feel comfortable resting in between reps - get up and stretch.

i finish my work out w/ 150 sit ups on the ball. before bed each night i do another 150 sit ups on the ball.

i break up my work out by sitting in the hot sauna (I can't do steam w/ my mystic tan anymore but that's a good one, too) and then i also do lunges, but crunches, etc to break things up. at the end, be sure and cool down/stretch.

LOTS, LOTS, LOTS of water. i drink no less than 8 bottles or tumblers of water each day. i cut out all sodas, juices and caffeine. everytime i want to eat, i drink water. no junk food or drive thru's except salads and eat 3 main meals and two light snacks each day. drink plenty of water while you're doing your cardio.

give yourself a rest on the weekends

www.exrx.com is a good site for targeting areas complete w/ pics and videos.

good luck! - p.s. don't forget to have lots of sex!

DAMN GIRL!! no wonder you so fine!! Thanks so much! I just bought a chin up bar (need to do a flexed hang for 70 seconds) and I'm making a jump rope. I got the crystal light packets, I know it's not pure water but I get bored with plain water so it's a start right?

• Members

www.Bodybuilding.com

Good website with all kinds of articles for women, teens, and men ( of all ages) and I like the excercise videos on line that show you how to perform the various excercises. Great training ideas too.

It be cool if we could do something like that at tootimid.com on toys, positions, etc.

Glenn

• Members

I used to have a personal trainer. She always said, if you want to loose weight, Cardio, Cardio, and more Cardio.

Body building or weight lifting will add weight while reducing inches; muscle weighs more than fat does. So, I if you eat a healthy low fat diet coupled with a bunch of cardio, I think you'll be home free.

• Members

I agree with alot of what everyone said, The main thing to focus on is your core, I would recommend cardio one day, and core building exercises the next (push ups, pull ups, dips, etc.) womens health is a good magazine to pick up some new exercise. also on your muscle day it is important to work to muscle failure. also it is ok to do sit ups and crunches every day again you should always strive for muscle failure. there are really cheap and easy ways to do cardio the best is probably jump rope next to running that is I run two miles every other day.

• Members

Hi everyone! You guys all have wondeful advice! Since I'm now losing weight for the Air Guard I'mrunning 4-5 times a week (all depends onif I get a second job or not.) I need to install my chin up bar and I'm doion my crunches and push-ups. Since my PFT will be in 2 minutes for my push ups and crunches I'm doing it that way to practice too. I've cut out soda (i spurged and had a diet soda, first one in a week!) and refined sugars. So hopefully that will help. now if in two weeks of all this work I decide I want a bowl of ice cream i'm going to have it but not as much (not even half as much) as I'd eat before. Also I stopped feeding the dogs during dinner (muchto their chigrin) so i can keep track of what I eat a little easier.

• Members
Hi everyone! You guys all have wondeful advice! Since I'm now losing weight for the Air Guard I'mrunning 4-5 times a week (all depends onif I get a second job or not.) I need to install my chin up bar and I'm doion my crunches and push-ups. Since my PFT will be in 2 minutes for my push ups and crunches I'm doing it that way to practice too. I've cut out soda (i spurged and had a diet soda, first one in a week!) and refined sugars. So hopefully that will help. now if in two weeks of all this work I decide I want a bowl of ice cream i'm going to have it but not as much (not even half as much) as I'd eat before. Also I stopped feeding the dogs during dinner (muchto their chigrin) so i can keep track of what I eat a little easier.

You are one focused women. Good for you, keep up the good work!

• Members

Wow, I had so much to say, but everything hsa been covered :lol:

From own experience, I recommend even taking a dance class. Doesn't have to be ballet or like fancy. Anything. It covers cardio, endurance, strength. You name it, you'll do it! It's not only hard work, but really fun and refreshing. try it! I also swear by yoga. Not by video because it's harder to follow without straining your neck or body and trying to figure out the poses. But like an actual class. They are tougher than they might appear. In a good way. you'll feel so good after one of those classes.

Just a little help.

• Members
Wow, I had so much to say, but everything hsa been covered :lol:

From own experience, I recommend even taking a dance class. Doesn't have to be ballet or like fancy. Anything. It covers cardio, endurance, strength. You name it, you'll do it! It's not only hard work, but really fun and refreshing. try it! I also swear by yoga. Not by video because it's harder to follow without straining your neck or body and trying to figure out the poses. But like an actual class. They are tougher than they might appear. In a good way. you'll feel so good after one of those classes.

Just a little help.

Oh love! I would love to take a dance class but unfortunately I can't afford the membership and it's be 1/2 an hour away. :( ah well once i get back into school, i'm taking dance classes as well!

• Members

I've got a cousin who is a REAL BABE and she is 56...she does yoga and somethin' that sounds like PIRATES or PILATES or some such. But I shit you not my cuz is a STONEFOX and ALWAYS dresses foxy to boot. If she wasn't my cuz I'd give her a move or two :P ...

• Members

I am surprised at how good many of the no suger products are today, syrups and jams being a example. I bought some pan cake syrup from walmart and a serving is 50 cal vs 300 cal with the other other products I used to use. I think I use maybe half a serving in reality but still you can't tell the difference these days with some of the products I have tried.

You can have sweets and eat them too I do believe

Glenn

• Members
I am surprised at how good many of the no suger products are today, syrups and jams being a example. I bought some pan cake syrup from walmart and a serving is 50 cal vs 300 cal with the other other products I used to use. I think I use maybe half a serving in reality but still you can't tell the difference these days with some of the products I have tried.

You can have sweets and eat them too I do believe

Glenn

This is very true. Instead of ice cream I am eatting fat ee frozen yogurt, just as yummy to me. But I'm talking like the sodas and candies. If I had pancakes, I'd either have fruit on them or go with the full octane syrup, lol. I don't eat a lot of candy so that's an easy thing to give up, but soda has been hard, when I do drink it i grab a diet (blech). Mostly i am just concentrating on eatting more healthy foods than less of anything else.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

How about Roller Derby?

Yeah, ya gotta get skates and pads and a mouth guard and helmet and a footlocker with an extra brain and a couple of pints of blood, just in case. But my wife joined up recently and loves it. So far, no orthopedic surgery has been required. Knock on wood.

• Members
How about finding a friend or acquaintance to do vigorous walking with after work. It's a great whole body work out, and if you add some light weight arms/leg weights you'll get even greater benefit from it.

I agree with LL. It REALLY helps to have some motivation, and for a lot of people, a friend is a great motivator. Some kind of goal or competition is what works for some (me). Many local leukemia societies have walking or running programs that combine both. You can meet your friends on an evening or weekend and work out with them, then you are motivated to work by yourself the rest of the week so your friends don't leave you in the dust the next week. Every few months there is a walking or running race of some kind where you can set your time or distance goals and challenge yourself. It can become addictive. You sound like you are at a level where almost anything you can work into your schedule will be a help.

• Members
Thanks Square, I took a route very close to this, I bought new (good) running shoes. Actually they atre trail runners as that's what I'm going to be doing mostly.

How's the running going? Did buy a good sports bra?, imperative for voluptuous women.