Official Community Forums Home

A Call From My Gf At Work.

pappyld04

• Members

I got a call from my gf who is at work asking about a bill that she had been given. When she told me the bill had a powder on it I thought drugs. She called me back and said the guy tells her it's Caustic and her hand is burning. The only neutralizers I can think of are vinegar and baking soda. I did tell her to bag that bill and the one beneath it and mark them so noone else gets burned but does anyone know of something else that may neutralize this acid?

• Members

I wish I knew something to tell you, but sounds like you are on the right track with the baking soda! I wish her the best and hope she gets the burning to stop!! Kinda scary!! At least if it was coke, she could lick it off and have her mouth numb for a while!!haha Hope everything is alright! Keep us posted!

Peace,

Mark

• Members

It is definitely Caustic and the vinegar did some good. I had her chase the guy down when she called me the first time. I just got off the phone with her a minute ago and she said she felt like she had a blister but there was nothing visible there. All I could tell her was wait until tomorrow it will look lie she just popped a blister and pulled the head off! Vinegar is what we always kept in the mud house for these times but with his not telling her immediately she has a small taste of what I have known. I have a lot of these burns but I knew what to do right away. The guy is on camera and her boss is considering a call to the PD.

• Members

That is really scary, because I know of only a few powder substances that can begin to immediatly burn the skin, none of wich are very pretty.

I think a trip to the ER would be in order, and I pray she did not inhale any of the powder.

For chemical burns, flushing the affected area with lots and lots of water is good, as is vinegar.

I wish I knew exactly what it was, if we knew that, I could easily pull up an MSDS for it.

Please keep us informed, and I wish her a quick recovery.

She should go to her boss, show him/her, then ask where their company doctor is, so, in case it's burning, they can neutralize it ASAP, and correctly. It depends on WHAT is causing the burn, and if so and so says it's one thing, when it's not, you could do more harm than good. Since it happened at work, it'll be covered under the company's worker's comp.

I hope she's better soon!

• Members

The powder was Caustic. She caught him before he got out of the parking lot. Apparently the vinegar was on time to prevent bad burns. She has 3 or 4 small burns on her hand but nothing large or deep. She said I know the guy so I gues he and I will be having a "chat" about this one. There is no good reason to have that in your wallet and it just escapes me how it got there. I hope he got burnt good.

• Members

The only caustic powder I have familiarity with is lye.

She needs to water flush and neutralize with vinegar. Lye is a base caustic and acid neutralizes. And yes I would call the PD.

That is just sick.

• Members

It's a Caustic Soda Bead that we use on the rigs when mixing mud. If you even look at that stuff wrong it will burn you. With this new patch of worms they make them wear a rubber apron, rubber gloves, a face shield and goggles, and some even have rubber boots just to mix that stuff.

Why would he do this to her? Was it deliberate or accidental? I guess I'm missing something here....

• Members

Okay wait, the guy, who you know, gives her this bill coated in this highly dangerous powder and told her that it was going to hurt her? Does she work at a place that is a politicaly target? (like a plan parenthood) or does she work somewhere more mundane like a dentist's office? (those are just types of places, i don't blame you for not saying where she works) I hope teh cops got the guy and seriously charge him.

• Members

Oh my goodness. I hope she's doing all right. I would definitely go to an Urgent Care facility or an ER just to have it on record. I would recommend the PD too.

Any updates?

• Members

I don't believe he did this on purpose! Noone who knows this chemical would risk this for revenge of any kind. Knowing this substance he probably has a raw ass cheek as I type this. I think he may possibly do it to someone else though since he cannot possibly know how many things in his pocket were contaminated with this. If this was on one bill the whole wallet is doomed.