Official Community Forums Home

Love My State, Hate The Bugs!

Tyger

Thankfully, I have no allergies to buggies, that I know of (yet). While going out to mail a letter, I opened up my box, put the letter in, shut the door, and WHACK!! A red wasp tagged my pinky and my ankle at almost the same time (same bug, opposite sides). The red bastard!!!

The pinky hurts, but it's not swelling, and the ankle just itches. Got some cream on it, and had taken allergy meds earlier today. I am just thankfull that it wasn't my DD. She's terrified of bugs, and these suckers HURT!!

Considering I've been down here in TX a total of almost 6 yrs, and this is the first for red wasp stings, I guess I can't complain!! LOL They do fly in and have tried to hit my head (they sting on the fly), but I have soooo much hair, I don't feel it!! :P

Thanks for letting me bitch/whine! :rolleyes:

• Members

I hate those little bastards! We have them EVERYWHERE! I got zapped 3 times in the armpit petting a cat on my front porch a few years back. But I will tell you to stay far away from Bumblebees. They have a bite that can make a grown man cry!

• Members

Yikes. Bugs (bees, spiders especially) creep me out. I'm terrified of being stung (although I am not allergic.) If any get into my apartment, my cats usually eat them. My mom used to put a little baking soda/warm water mixture on my bites/stings - worked better than some of the OTC medications and creams. :)

Or you could just wear of of those mosquito nets 24/7? :) Now THAT is sexy. ;)

-Meg

• Members
Or you could just wear of of those mosquito nets 24/7? :) Now THAT is sexy. ;)

-Meg

Meg you are killing me! :lol:

• Members
Thankfully, I have no allergies to buggies, that I know of (yet). While going out to mail a letter, I opened up my box, put the letter in, shut the door, and WHACK!! A red wasp tagged my pinky and my ankle at almost the same time (same bug, opposite sides). The red bastard!!!

The pinky hurts, but it's not swelling, and the ankle just itches. Got some cream on it, and had taken allergy meds earlier today. I am just thankfull that it wasn't my DD. She's terrified of bugs, and these suckers HURT!!

Considering I've been down here in TX a total of almost 6 yrs, and this is the first for red wasp stings, I guess I can't complain!! LOL They do fly in and have tried to hit my head (they sting on the fly), but I have soooo much hair, I don't feel it!! :P

Thanks for letting me bitch/whine! :rolleyes:

Well Dear you haven't been here long enough to know all of the old remedies. This one, although smelly really works:

The next time you or anyone else for that matter gets stung by a wasp, just cut an onion and rud it on the bite, squeezing the onion juices over it. You'll smell like an onion but it will kill the sting instantly!

Man

• Members

Yeah I heard the same about a clove of garlic too. I HATE hornets and wasps. :angry: OOOOHHH they are so mean they make me mad! This time of year around here they get "dopey" like my Mom used to say, and will sting you for no reason! Watch out for your hair Tyger! I got a yellow jacket in my hair one time and I didn't know it. Until I was scrunching my curls and BZZZZ I got stung! Little fucker!

• Members
I hate those little bastards! We have them EVERYWHERE! I got zapped 3 times in the armpit petting a cat on my front porch a few years back. But I will tell you to stay far away from Bumblebees. They have a bite that can make a grown man cry!

I sat on a bumblebee once, and it stung me. It hurt like hell; and my mom used the baking soda/warm water mixture; I'm not sure which was worse - the sting or my mom applying baking soda to my ass...

• Members
I got a yellow jacket in my hair one time and I didn't know it. Until I was scrunching my curls and BZZZZ I got stung! Little fucker!

I've had that happen also while riding in the back of a pickup!

• Members

Chewing tobacco and mud are the best remedies for these stings!!!!!!! Damned city folks! LOL!

Thanks all! My FIL told me a bunch of remedies a couple of years ago. Thankfully, the stinging went away rather quickly. I have some of that Sting Away stuff (for kids though), and that works really well.

LMAO!!! I'm trying to picture Meg getting a baking soda paste smeared on her ass...... :lol::P

Guest eminatic

i heard somewhere that milk had soothing properties for bites and burns but im not sure if thats true...

i got stung by a damn scorpion on my own damn room and my ENTIRE leg went numb for almost 2 days <_<

• Members

Em my old digger got stung right between the toes by a scorpion. He never said anything about being numb but it made him very sick for sure.

• Members

I lived in Texas for a while and I remember the first week in our new home a cricket the size of my whole hand had gotten in. I have never in my life seen a bug of any kind that big. I thought my son and I were in mortal danger. I called an exterminator and told him I had an emergency, he came with in about an hour, I paid big time for that. When he figured out what it was, the poor guy had a really hard time not laughing at this silly Yankee.

After that I knew it was true..... EVERYTHING in Texas is bigger!

• Members

I used to get a lot of scorpions coming into my house. There was a huge spider that had made it's web on the eave at the rear of my house. I would take the scorpions out there and throw them into it's web.

• Members

This would be why it would be dangerous for me to visit texas!!!!!!!! I am allergic to wasps and hornets!!! sorry you got stung sweetie I know it hurt (of course you yelling in my ear was funny but thats just me)

Meg LMAO ever seen that funny home video of the little girl who falls on her butt then asks her dad if he wants to kiss it better!!!!!!!! LOL thanks for the laugh

Guest eminatic

when i lived in california we had a tarantula problem, but here in vegas we have a REALLY bad scorpion problem and not the nice giant black ones that sting you and nothing happens. i mean the tiny little brown/clear ones that sting you and you have to go to the hospital D:

• Members

way back when (when iI actulay had sex once in a while) before my wife and I got married. we

just started with the fore play when I relized I did not have any condems, so I jumped in my truck

to drive the 3 blocks to the gas station, I sat right on a bee and it stung me in the butt right between the cheeks. you talk about a mood killer. I could not get her to kiss it to make it better. :(

• Members
when i lived in california we had a tarantula problem, but here in vegas we have a REALLY bad scorpion problem and not the nice giant black ones that sting you and nothing happens. i mean the tiny little brown/clear ones that sting you and you have to go to the hospital D:

On the road between Barstow and Fort Irwin there is actually a Tarantula crossing sign. When they move across there it is usually in massive numbers.

Those sound like the same scorpions that we have here along the rivers and in a lot of hay barns.

Guest eminatic
On the road between Barstow and Fort Irwin there is actually a Tarantula crossing sign. When they move across there it is usually in massive numbers.

LOL we had those too! we drove up to the park on night and when we turned on the headlights it looked like there was a living carpet out on the road...but then we realized it was a hoard of tarantulas :o

my neighbor stepped on a scorpion in her bathroom and had to go to the hospital because she started having respiratory issues. scorpion stings are alot like bee stings in that they are usually only dangerous if you are allergic to them. also it depends on the type of sting you were hit with. scorpions have three different types of stings: a "dry" sting (only used for falling/climbing), a stun/paralyzing sting (most common) and their most potent sting intended to kill which is rarely, if ever used (its really just a higher dose sting, but scorpions don't like to waste their poison since it could cost them their lives in the long run)

the good news is that since its a paralyzing/numbing agent its not really painful at all! (and im a wuss :lol: )

• Members
the good news is that since its a paralyzing/numbing agent its not really painful at all! (and im a wuss :lol: )

Either you are one tough little lady or my digger is really a big old sissy(don't buy that for a second). He is a tough SOB and he allowed that was very painful. When I was at Irwin I always knew to shake the boots before putting them on but When I moved out by the river I hadn't even seen a scorpion in this state yet. I've seen guys chased up on to tanks by Mojave Reds and Greens. Even caught one of each to add to my aquarium in the CQ and got a bonus for one of them. They gave me $5,000 for the mean one to place it in the Battalion HQ tank. I'd rather be hit by a scorpion anyday than those little monsters. The one I was paid for was sitting on the ground witing for that young man to come back down. Gopher snakes and Sidewinders were common place but these two were harder to get a bind on. VERY AGGRESSIVE! One more than the other. There were also what is more commonly called a Rock Iguana, we called them Chuckawala's. Very similar to a Gila in that we were told that their bite was comparable to the scorpion stings. I had heard the same about the Vinegarones in New Mexico too but I still had no less than a dozen in an aquarium there! I caught a snake one morning that was very near transparent and threw it in the aquarium and went to work. By the time I got home it had 1 hole directl in the forehead and was not a mistake I made again!

Guest eminatic

lol well i've never been stung by anything else so i can't really compare it to anything :lol: i remember when i was little i once got bitten by those biiiig red ants....i recall THAT was painful..although apparently not painful enough for any of the adults to notice i'd been bitten >.>

but the scorpion sting was STRONG no doubt about that...just not painful. there was a slight dull pain, but mostly it felt like my leg was WAAAAAAAY asleep but...warm at the same time. i put ice on the initial sting area (which is hard to find since it leaves only the slightest mark!) to get rid of the warmth feeling and then it just felt like a very powerful case of having my leg fall asleep for the next few hours. when i woke up the next morning only the initial sting area was still slightly tingly. i didnt feel the initial sting at all and it took me a few minutes to realize what had happened....then i looked over and saw a suspicious looking tail sticking out from under a box (at which point i freaked out like a girly girl and got my dad to kill it for me because i was afraid of touching it :( )

• Members

I've lived in Texas all my life and only been stung by a wasp once, and that was because it was drowning in the pool I was swimming in and it got tangled in my hair as I was surfacing... can't blame him! I've never been stung by a bee. IMO, it's those goddamn fire ants you have to worry about!

I actually really love insects of all sorts, and I especially love wasps and hornets even though I am scared of them. They are beautiful creatures. I was out spotlighting at night and found a whole colony of them sleeping in a stone dam at the creek behind my apartment not too long ago. It was cool to be able to observe them up close without being afraid they'd take offense to my presence, I left as soon as my light started to bother them enough to make them stir.

Just look at this pic I found online... is there anything more beautiful than nature?

60083264.ph_7913WaspFace800.jpg

• Members

I've seen grown men and women jump out of moving vehicles because of them. I don't think even one of them got stung they were just afraid of being stung.