Official Community Forums Home

Damn Economy!

froggystyle1977

• Members

ok so there is always a slow down a hubbys work in the winter, the last two years a week off at thanksgiving is normal. well this year its going to be two weeks!!!!!! ok so he has one vacation left and some earned time we can deal BUT he just called me he had only 18 hours last week (would have had 36 but kid needed a ER visit and he took halloween off) this week they are only scheduled for 24 hrs and next week 12 then the two weeks off

WTF are we going to do!!!!!! This is a nightmare!! I don't know how it will be possible I just don't see it OMG!! I wanna cry and scream and UGGGGGGGGGG TO go from 60 hrs a week to basically nothing with two days warning honestly i don't know what to do!!! OK I am going ot go look up heating assistance cause there is no way we will be able ot get oil in the next month when we will need it!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Hon, I am SOOO sorry!! I have no idea what to tell you! You always seem to figure stuff out, you're good like that! I have faith in you!

You don't need anything else to stress over!

*BIG HUGS*

• Members

Froggy, I'm so sorry for your troubles. But here's the deal, the economy is in the pooper cuz Bush is a horrible manager and helped put this nation in debt and in a poor economic state; in addition, the market is reacting to the election as it does each time we have a presidential election, however it may be more volatile due to it's present state and the historic nature of the event. Were entering another down period, but there historically is a peek prior to another dip. Not good new, but the deal is it's not going to get better immediately. But there is an end in sight. Try to prepare for the worst, that way you won't be caught with your pant's down.

Sorry.

• Members
Sorry to hear that Froggy but it will work out somehow. Since my wife isn't able to work anymore we lost about 40% of our income but we get by.

Man

Some things I learned when I was younger. Always set aside some of your groceries and dry goods (TP-laundry soap-shampoo). Thirty years ago I nearly ran out of food while unemployed. After I got a job and new apartment I salted away canned goods and basic supplies. I know this is not what you want to hear. You're all going to have to re prioritise. Get Hubby signed up for unemployment bennies. If Hubby has an IRA you might consider cashing in part of it. You will take a big hit on taxes but it could make a bumpy road a little smoother. Use the funds to get ahead on your winter bills and house payment or rent. When life as you remember it gets back to normal...set aside some pantry/closet/garage space and salt away some groceries. Pick up a good used freezer and fill it with meat and other good things. Put a few bucks in a new account for emergency use ONLY. Be thankful you are finding out before you blow alot of $ on Christmas presents. I've been a subcriber of Backwoods Home Magazine for 20+years. This mag has many tips for weathering bumps on the road of life. Check out their site. It's chock full of money saving and stretching tips. When Hubbys hours go back to normal you would do well to sign up for a year or more of BWH. Good luck.

• Members

I'm in the same boat, two weeks off at the end of the year (also the end of the month, ya knwo when your supposed to be saving for rent and car payments? Yeah. I'm with 12 guage. I've stocked up on my shampoos and soaps and I have a ton of can foods. Also think about combineing holiday food responsiblities with family, cause turkey ain't cheap. And canned foods can be. Hit your dollar stores and stock up on the basics as well as "meal makers" boxed mashed potatoes, hamburger helper, pasta things like that. Definitely get on HEAP and unemployment benifits if you can.

I love ya hun, and i'm here if you need anything I can help.

• Members

Thanks everyone!! well he was able to up his hours to 36 this week by switching and working in a different area. hopefully if we are lucky they will need him to do that again next week, who knows we shall see!!! oh and to add to my wonderful luck my almost two year old tried to drink my tea today and dumped it all over my keyboard and my cell phone!!!!!! both appear to be fried. GOTTA LOVE KIDS!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Oh, honey, I wish I could make it all better.

We are in kinda a slump here, too.

I am laid off for the winter, but got a temp job for the holidays;

I was supposed to start the temp job this coming wednesday, but now it is pushed back to a week from monday.

It is scary right now for many famlies.

Hey Everybody~Please remember that the holidays are all about being with people you love, not about spending money.

There are so many ways to show our love for our partners, children, friends and family.

Get creative and make some good memories this year.

Hint: A new toy from TT is a good gift for your special loved one

that will be enjoyed by both of you the entire year!!

• Members
Oh, honey, I wish I could make it all better.

We are in kinda a slump here, too.

I am laid off for the winter, but got a temp job for the holidays;

I was supposed to start the temp job this coming wednesday, but now it is pushed back to a week from monday.

It is scary right now for many famlies.

Hey Everybody~Please remember that the holidays are all about being with people you love, not about spending money.

There are so many ways to show our love for our partners, children, friends and family.

Get creative and make some good memories this year.

Hint: A new toy from TT is a good gift for your special loved one

that will be enjoyed by both of you the entire year!!

Great point shelly! I had been planning on boycotting the holidays because my family bites and because i'm trying to save money when it hit me, we got family pictures done this year so I'm gonna give those was a poem to my siblings and that's all. Let's face it my neice isn't even 2, she's not gonna notice nothing from me under the tree.

• Members
Some things I learned when I was younger. Always set aside some of your groceries and dry goods (TP-laundry soap-shampoo). Thirty years ago I nearly ran out of food while unemployed. After I got a job and new apartment I salted away canned goods and basic supplies. I know this is not what you want to hear. You're all going to have to re prioritise. Get Hubby signed up for unemployment bennies. If Hubby has an IRA you might consider cashing in part of it. You will take a big hit on taxes but it could make a bumpy road a little smoother. Use the funds to get ahead on your winter bills and house payment or rent. When life as you remember it gets back to normal...set aside some pantry/closet/garage space and salt away some groceries. Pick up a good used freezer and fill it with meat and other good things. Put a few bucks in a new account for emergency use ONLY. Be thankful you are finding out before you blow alot of $ on Christmas presents. I've been a subcriber of Backwoods Home Magazine for 20+years. This mag has many tips for weathering bumps on the road of life. Check out their site. It's chock full of money saving and stretching tips. When Hubbys hours go back to normal you would do well to sign up for a year or more of BWH. Good luck.

Unless it a roth, don't even consider touching the damn IRA ( you'll really pay for it and really learn what hurt is at tax time)

Glenn

• Members
I've been a subcriber of Backwoods Home Magazine for 20+years. This mag has many tips for weathering bumps on the road of life. Check out their site. It's chock full of money saving and stretching tips. When Hubbys hours go back to normal you would do well to sign up for a year or more of BWH. Good luck.

I ran across this mag a while back! Great suggestion!