Official Community Forums Home

Would You Accept A Marriage Proposal Over The Phone Or Text?

So, would you ever accept a marriage proposal over the phone or thru a text message or even an IM?

Just curious....

• Members

LOL

Actually, I thought I was getting one over webcam the other night.... but it really turned out that I was just over tired.... He is a romantic though... would never propose that way.... xD

• Members
no. things that drastically alter relationships should be dealt with in person. kinda like getting dumped in a text message.

I agree, Em. Unless it was a very unusual situation, I wouldn't even take it seroiusly.

• Members

That is just as chickenshit as a break-up in the same manner. The only way this would even be close to acceptable IMO is a very distant relationship. Otherwise it's just bogus! It may be old-fashioned but I was taught that you must ask her father's permission and approval also! This IMO is much more difficult than asking her because her father is not likely to hold his tongue if there are harsh feelings towards you!

• Members

The ONLY way that this would be acceptable - in my opinion - is perhaps a military type situation where the guy is just really feeling like he had to propose because if his dire situation.

Other than that - NO WAY!

Reminds me of Sex and The City....'he broke up with me...on a POST IT!'

• Members

It depends. I've never had a romanticized idea of marriage myself, my parents never had a ceremony and just went down to the courthouse and got their certificate, and as far as I'm concerned that's how I'd prefer to do it too... save all that wedding money for a nice honeymoon!! So, ya know, being that I've never really dreamed of the whole romantic proposal, under the right conditions, sure I'd accept a proposal over the phone. Hell, I don't even want an expensive engagement ring... I hate diamonds, so I'd prefer something a lot cheaper that's more to my tastes.

• Members
Honestly, I could see it in certain situations.

Yeah me too and here's mine...

We were living together, planning on getting engaged soon. I was working and it was time to choose my vacation time, as it was booking up quickly. We were planning on taking 2 weeks for a honeymoon. I called him at work and we planned the honeymoon before I even had a ring! My co workers considered me "engaged" after that! About 2 weeks later or so I had the ring, he asked me on his knees etc... :)

Backwards but who cares! :P