Official Community Forums Home

Shaving Down There

Smile4Me

• Members

Hey gals (and maybe guys too)

I know this is probably a strange topic to post on TT but hey, it's worth a shot!

I've been shaving "down there" for about 5 years now, and no matter what I try, I still end up with unsightly razor bumbs and extremely painful in-grown hairs (and sometimes in-grown "clusters"). I have extremely sensitive skin, and I've tried all the fancy tips; i.e. shaving with baby powder, exfoliating, post-shave witch hazel...EVERYTHING. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for a soft smooth shave without the in-grown hairs showing up a week later with regrowth. I'm extremely self-conscious about it; it's so, well, un-pretty! Not to mention extremely painful. I'm dying to have soft, pretty skin down there, and I think it would boost my confidence a great deal. I know I could just let it grow, but I've shaved for so long I could never go back to being completely furry again! LOL I don't understand it, my husband can shave his "stuff" without a single blemish!

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

Please add anything you like; your experiences with waxing, shaving, depilitory creams, and even electrolosis (as even this is something I've thought of doing). I'll try anything at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Guest eminatic

if i shave against the grain occasionally i MIGHT get a bump or two...if you shave everyday you should shave with the grain though. going against it on a daily basis will be certain to cause irritation. (and if you have a problem with it not being smooth enough going with the grain then you should be waxing anyway)

a lot of people tout that "coochy" shave cream as being the best shaving cream....it's hair conditioner. it even states on the bottle you can use it as hair conditioner...because it IS hair conditioner and you will get the EXACT same results using plain hair conditioner, so you could try using a little hair conditioner when you shave.

always shave with a new razor.

and...before trying a new technique you really should consider letting it grow AT LEAST 3 days (preferably 7) to completely get all the hair out from under the skin and all the follicles a chance to rest.

• Members

No matter what you do if you shave your pubic area this will happen. Also it's more noticable on dark haired women. There are 2 different things you can do to avoid this.

1. Wax you pubic area on a regular basis, if you can afford it.

2. If you can't or don't want to afford the waxing on a regular basis; Get yourself waxed 2-3 times in a row (with out razor touch up) until you notice the hair is growing in softer. Then you may resume shaving until it starts to happen again. When it happens a gain just repeat process.

I personally like to wax. It last a long time and everything is smoother and looks nicer. Just make sure you go to a reputable, clean place.

Just a thought..... Have any men here ever had themselves waxed?

• Members
OUCH! You mean have my pubic hair RIPPED OUT???!!!

Damn, you ladies are strong!

No shit sherlock...... Thats why women have babies too! ;)

• Review Team

I have tried a lot of options but find regular hair conditioner to be the best option. I would love to wax but have not found any place nearby that I would trust - gotta love living in a small town! I have tried the home wax kits with no luck.

• Members
I have tried a lot of options but find regular hair conditioner to be the best option. I would love to wax but have not found any place nearby that I would trust - gotta love living in a small town! I have tried the home wax kits with no luck.

Self waxing = self torture

Tried it once and will NEVER! EVER! do it again or recommend for anyone to try.

• Members

Wait till your skin gets soft from hot water before shaving. Shave with the grain not against it.

I personally love laser hair removal vs. waxing. Now I didn't get all 5-7 treatments they recommend to remove it all. Just doing it even once cuts down the amount of hair. good luck!

• Members

Thanks for all the input guys! I always shave IN the direction of growth; I learned that one a long time ago! Never can I get it as soft and close that way, but it's a mess if I go the opposite direction. I usually only shave once a week, and no more often than every 3 or 4 days. It doesn't matter how long I wait, still the same outcome. I've tried home waxing, and while it was terribly painful, it was much more effective and with minimal to no blemishes. I would go to a professional to get waxed, but I'm terrified, one that it will hurt, and 2, the fact that someone I don't know will be poking around in my nether regions lol.! I will DEFINITELY try the hair conditioner thing, I never even thought of that! Anyone recommend a good razor to use "down there"? I've usually just stick a new blade in my hubby's Gilette Fusion (which has like, 5 blades) I thought maybe that was the problem, since it is made for men's really course facial hair. But it doesn't matter what razor I try, it's the same problem.

By the way Iha, my hubby let me wax him down there once; screamed like a girl and said NEVER AGAIN lol.

I know of some nail salons that do full-body waxing, but I don't really know what to look for as far as TRUSTING a place goes.

Anyway, feel free to add some more if ya like :) You guys have been very helpful, as usual!

Guest eminatic

5 blades?!?!?

too many blades will cause you more irritation. i personally just use 2 blades with the little moisture...goo strip on it but i know alot of girls that prefer 3 blades. any more than that is overkill.

also womens razors have the blades closer together than mens razors.

• Review Team

I have tried several different types/brands of razors from expensive to cheap. The ones that are best on my legs are not the ones that are best on other areas. I like Schick Quattro for sensitive skin. Em's idea that fewer blades would be better makes sense so I might try something with fewer in the future, but so far I have found nothing better than these. Others I have tried with fewer blades have the blades too far apart and I end up with nicks and cuts which is worse than bumps.

• Members

First go for a female blade of your own.

A good place will always use clean sterilized new utensils, has all licensed techs, and ask your friend about the place. In other words get recommendations.

• Members

Back in January, I decided to go completely bare down there for the first time. I had a nice trip planned for the end of the month, and I wanted to be all nice and smooth, right? So, I started preparations early. I read articles, asked friends, and then went at it. Dear lord!!!!! My skin was NOT happy for a LONG, L-O-N-G time it seemed. So, I let it grow in some and went and paid to get professionally waxed (the few remainder hairs got tweezed). Honestly, it did take me a few days to completely recover. Perhaps I'm just overly sensitive too. After the wax though, things were much better for me. I could even shave for upkeep without the same horribleness I had experienced earlier. But when things do get bumpy, try tweezing that area to keep the razor away from it for a while. It may help. All the best luck to you, dear! B)

• Members
Back in January, I decided to go completely bare down there for the first time. I had a nice trip planned for the end of the month, and I wanted to be all nice and smooth, right? So, I started preparations early. I read articles, asked friends, and then went at it. Dear lord!!!!! My skin was NOT happy for a LONG, L-O-N-G time it seemed. So, I let it grow in some and went and paid to get professionally waxed (the few remainder hairs got tweezed). Honestly, it did take me a few days to completely recover. Perhaps I'm just overly sensitive too. After the wax though, things were much better for me. I could even shave for upkeep without the same horribleness I had experienced earlier. But when things do get bumpy, try tweezing that area to keep the razor away from it for a while. It may help. All the best luck to you, dear! B)

After a few waxes your skin will get use to it and your reaction will be hardly anything at all. I've been waxing forever, and usually do it the day before.

• Members
No shit sherlock...... Thats why women have babies too! ;)

May be this was put a little to harshly...... but you get the point

• Members

Yeah, I thought that it might be the blades! Will definitely have to try some of the tips you guys gave me...and if all else fails, I'll check on the electrolysis thing. I'm really thinking, if I did the waxing thing more often, it wouldn't hurt nearly as bad; it's definitely a shock to the system at first though!! I guess the trick is to do it often and establish a routine, just like most other beauty regimes! Ughhh, the things we do to be beautiful (and silky smooth!) LOL!

• Members

I actually just shaved fully for the first time the other night, and I got out of it without problems!

Not the CLOSEST shave, but good to get my skin used to it first, I suppose.....

I used the Venus razors.... and the Coochie cream they sell here... I LOVE that stuff for my underarms, and it worked GREAT "down there" too!

• Members
Yeah, I thought that it might be the blades! Will definitely have to try some of the tips you guys gave me...and if all else fails, I'll check on the electrolysis thing. I'm really thinking, if I did the waxing thing more often, it wouldn't hurt nearly as bad; it's definitely a shock to the system at first though!! I guess the trick is to do it often and establish a routine, just like most other beauty regimes! Ughhh, the things we do to be beautiful (and silky smooth!) LOL!

I understand Laser hair removal is a better way to go.

• Members
When I would shave. I took clippers to the hair first, especially if it was long. Found for me if I kept it clean shaven no bumps but if I missed like 2 days I got bumps.

I'm not sure if it's different, but if women continually razor shave their vaginal area the hair will eventually grow in thicker and some women experience in grown hairs, both very unsightly. Waxing, makes the hair grow in softer, with no ingrown, or unsightly stubble just beneath the skin. A good wax should last much, much longer than shaving. And an added plus, is your skin down there is exceptionally soft after a wax. Sound good fellows?

• Members
I'm not sure if it's different, but if women continually razor shave their vaginal area the hair will eventually grow in thicker and some women experience in grown hairs, both very unsightly. Waxing, makes the hair grow in softer, with no ingrown, or unsightly stubble just beneath the skin. A good wax should last much, much longer than shaving. And an added plus, is your skin down there is exceptionally soft after a wax. Sound good fellows?

Many women still get ingrown hairs with waxing. Some even worse than with shaving. This is a topic at our beauty salon. lol

• Members
Many women still get ingrown hairs with waxing. Some even worse than with shaving. This is a topic at our beauty salon. lol

Wow, I never heard of that. Do they pluck then or what do they say to do?

• Members

Sounds so much better than good my Lady. Nothing like the feel of silky soft skin to lightly touch and kiss.

• Members
Sounds so much better than good my Lady. Nothing like the feel of silky soft skin to lightly touch and kiss.

It's why I do it. Also for all you naturalist, getting rid of the hair increases sensitivity.

• Members
Wow, I never heard of that. Do they pluck then or what do they say to do?

That part we have never discussed. I personally try to always exfoliate, but that doesn't work enough to prevent it. I usually try to set them free the best way I can! lol

I don't want them to stay inclosed and get nasty looking or infected.