Official Community Forums Home

Stress And Sex

ladylove

• Members

Too Stressed for Sex?

It may be hard to believe, but did you know that we need stress to survive? It's true. In small doses, even high stress can be good for the body. Stress triggers our natural fight-or-flight response, releasing energizing endorphins into the brain, sharpening our memory, and boosting our resistance to disease and infection. Hectic or stressful times are also what make the more peaceful moments so enjoyable. For instance, meeting a crazy deadline allows you that afterglow of accomplishment, while handling a difficult situation with poise reveals strengths you may not have discovered otherwise.

But while occasional stress can be invigorating, chronic stress takes its toll on your body and mind. Too much pressure and too little reprieve allow the body's stress response to last longer than it was intended. The long-term effects can include impaired immune function, a greater risk of cardiovascular disease, and depression. And it's no surprise that sex tends to become infrequent or nonexistent when one or both partners experience chronic stress. When you're fighting an overloaded mind and a worn-out body just to stay on top of things each day, it's easy to let sex fall to the bottom of the list.

Examine your day-to-day life to identify what's causing your chronic stress. Maybe you're responsible for caring for an elderly parent, are in an unhappy relationship, or simply worry too much about the small stuff. Then make it a priority to figure out ways to better cope with whatever's stressing you. Your health — and your sex life — depend on it.

• Members
Too Stressed for Sex?

It may be hard to believe, but did you know that we need stress to survive? It's true. In small doses, even high stress can be good for the body. Stress triggers our natural fight-or-flight response, releasing energizing endorphins into the brain, sharpening our memory, and boosting our resistance to disease and infection. Hectic or stressful times are also what make the more peaceful moments so enjoyable. For instance, meeting a crazy deadline allows you that afterglow of accomplishment, while handling a difficult situation with poise reveals strengths you may not have discovered otherwise.

But while occasional stress can be invigorating, chronic stress takes its toll on your body and mind. Too much pressure and too little reprieve allow the body's stress response to last longer than it was intended. The long-term effects can include impaired immune function, a greater risk of cardiovascular disease, and depression. And it's no surprise that sex tends to become infrequent or nonexistent when one or both partners experience chronic stress. When you're fighting an overloaded mind and a worn-out body just to stay on top of things each day, it's easy to let sex fall to the bottom of the list.

Examine your day-to-day life to identify what's causing your chronic stress. Maybe you're responsible for caring for an elderly parent, are in an unhappy relationship, or simply worry too much about the small stuff. Then make it a priority to figure out ways to better cope with whatever's stressing you. Your health — and your sex life — depend on it.

I liked that one a lot! I must say though that I have found that when I am stressed out or angry, its easier for me to give in to wanting to do anything sexual! Relieves my stress then actually, especially if its late night and I am sick to death of writing essays. Like right now.

• Members

Great post hun!! So very true!!! I'm a living and breathing example of what stress does to a person!! I've been called bi-polar, manic depressive, OCD, and PTS when all I think it is is an overload of stress! It really messes with the mind and body, and you don't realize it until later.

Oh, and admiral, I know EXACTLY how you feel. It's almost 4am here and I'm just finishing up a cluster of papers for class. Gotta love it :)

• Members

I don't see how someone can be TOO stressed for sex, maybe its just me. Sex is the greatest stress reliever there is; when I'm stressed that's what I turn to for relief, relaxation, and fun. I've never bee too stressed or too tired, and if I do use those as an excuse I'm lying just NOT to have sex.

• Members
Great post hun!! So very true!!! I'm a living and breathing example of what stress does to a person!! I've been called bi-polar, manic depressive, OCD, and PTS when all I think it is is an overload of stress! It really messes with the mind and body, and you don't realize it until later.

Oh, and admiral, I know EXACTLY how you feel. It's almost 4am here and I'm just finishing up a cluster of papers for class. Gotta love it :)

ohh boy the essays, I got German essays to write still, six small 2 page reaction papers and an Amicus Curiae brief for my Judicial Process class, but this is my last semester so I am kicking back and enjoying this spring break for the moment! Late late night/early morning is a great time to finish them up, your mind is all fired up at that time so you sometimes do a bit better... since during the day you want to be doing other things or may be having to do other things. Good luck on yours!

• Members

Stress from school and life is tuff; throw in a couple of children and an absent spouse and that's a good start on the recipe for Stress no Sex.

Before kids, I didn't believe it could happen to me but....... I'm so glad they are older now. New set of stresses, but different.

• Members
I don't see how someone can be TOO stressed for sex, maybe its just me. Sex is the greatest stress reliever there is; when I'm stressed that's what I turn to for relief, relaxation, and fun. I've never bee too stressed or too tired, and if I do use those as an excuse I'm lying just NOT to have sex.

Yep... but when I get so stressed that everything is an irritation I get... well really grumpy.... I grumble and growl and fume a lot and in general am not pleasant to be around (and that's when I'm aware of it and trying to NOT take it out on the wife and kids).... When I get like that, it's just better to sit in a quiet room all alone and just decompress..... Sex is the last thing on my mind.... Heck, I couldn't concentrate long enough to get off masturbating, never mind actually having to pay any attention to someone else..... Now once I step back from that edge a bit, a nice long session might be just the thing to relieve it further.

Unfortunately, my current job environment tends to foster that level of stress... as I put it, they gave me 5 pound bag and told me to put the 50 pound pile of shit into it.... and they took my shovel away..... and then the keep dumping more shit onto the pile daily...

• Members
Yep... but when I get so stressed that everything is an irritation I get... well really grumpy.... I grumble and growl and fume a lot and in general am not pleasant to be around (and that's when I'm aware of it and trying to NOT take it out on the wife and kids).... When I get like that, it's just better to sit in a quiet room all alone and just decompress..... Sex is the last thing on my mind.... Heck, I couldn't concentrate long enough to get off masturbating, never mind actually having to pay any attention to someone else..... Now once I step back from that edge a bit, a nice long session might be just the thing to relieve it further.

Unfortunately, my current job environment tends to foster that level of stress... as I put it, they gave me 5 pound bag and told me to put the 50 pound pile of shit into it.... and they took my shovel away..... and then the keep dumping more shit onto the pile daily...

Have you ever tried exercise to help reduce you stress level, so you feel human again? It works for me and my Husband.

• Members
Have you ever tried exercise to help reduce you stress level, so you feel human again? It works for me and my Husband.

I do get a fair bit of regular exercise... The intensity isn't high enough with "just exercise"..... For it to be truly useful to reduce my stress it would need to be quite a bit more vigorous _ even agressive... like put the pads on and do some full contact sparring (not likely at 6'4" 280#), or maybe play some full check hockey the way I did years ago... same thing... don't wanna hurt anyone....

SO, I sit quietly, meditate, find my happy place and decompress....

you could sum up my stress like this.... Stress is the condition that arises when the mind over rides the bodies basic instinct to beat the living hell out of someone that is so absolutely deserving it.