Official Community Forums Home

Troubling Problem

concerned

ok here we go, I'm very concerned about these issues I have, will see a doctor about it immediately after school is done but I would like to know some expected questions or possible problems that could make this happen.

I've found recently that when I masterbate that my cum, female lube whatev you wanna call it on my hand has been slowly getting a little bit thicker - like little little white chunks, for lack of a better word. I have no pain at all and I do get the once in a couple months ichtiness down there for th day but nothing unusual. Could this be a yeast infection, what could this be?

Also i've noticed ontop of the last problem, that it also has bits of color in the slimey portion of the cum - light pink and light brown - which at that time of the month would indicate that I'm about to start my period. But when I masterbate, I obviously would not do it during this time.

The other night I actually noticed - blood on my knuckle, like if i had a paper cut and a lil blood got smeared on the knuckle. Now this light pink/brown color I don't want to get on my underwear so I use a tampon after and remove it shortly after and everything is back to normal, I don't continue bleeding afterwards at all.

The other issue is that when I use the washroom, sometimes, I feel like I need to pee again right after again. This I think is caused jsut by stress. I have been tested for UTI but I'm fine according to their results. Im going to be seeing a gyno for this problem in about a months time and I'm probably gonna need to try and explain these otehr problems to him, which will be hard since his english aint great. I'm just looking for some insight.

This has really been freaking me out and I need answers, I hope someone knows because I'm obviously inexperienced in having problems down there and I don't want to go tell a doctor without having some idea what he might tell me, if he even knows whats wrong, or how they go about figuring what's wrong that's making this problem occur.

• Review Team

Sounds to me like an infection of some kind. I would suggest getting one of those test kits that Monistat (I think) sells. It will give you some ideas if you have a yeast infection or a baterial infection. I would certainly get to the doctor ASAP. An untreated infection can cause serious long-term problems.

Good luck.

Sounds to me like an infection of some kind. I would suggest getting one of those test kits that Monistat (I think) sells. It will give you some ideas if you have a yeast infection or a baterial infection. I would certainly get to the doctor ASAP. An untreated infection can cause serious long-term problems.

Good luck.

how does the doctor find out exactly what you have?

• Members

Usually a Pap Smear will be done, and if they're thorough, they'll give you a blood test also. You've had one of those before right? If not let me know and I can tell you what to expect. Good luck.

• Members

It would be best for you to see your doctor and have a pelvic exam. As part of the exam the following things should be done:

1. Pap smear and HPV culture - if it hasn't been done in the past 12-24 months

2. Wet mount - this is done by taking a swab of the discharge in your vagina and looking at it under a microscope - the doctor will be able to determine if you have a yeast infection and/or BV (bacterial vaginosis/vaginitis - see other thread on BV)

3. Chlamydia/Gonorrhea culture

4. Bimanual exam - the doctor will be able to assess your uterus and ovaries.

While it is impossible to say what you do or don't have without a pelvic exam based on your description it is possible that you have a yeast infection - not all women get the "itchyness" aspect, some just get discharge which is most often white, with a somewhat thick consistancy and often with little "chunks or curd like pieces".

You didn't mention where in your cycle you are or if you are using any type of birth control (pills, IUD). All of this would be important information for you to provide to your gynecologist - in fact he/she should ask you about it.

As for your urinary complaint - again there can be a variety of reasons. If you have BV or a yeast infection this can sometimes cause that type of sensation. There are a variety of other possibilities - all of which require an exam. One simple thing you can do until you get in to see your doctor is to try drinking cranberry juice once or twice a day. It won't be harmful and maybe helpful.

• Members
It would be best for you to see your doctor and have a pelvic exam. As part of the exam the following things should be done:

1. Pap smear and HPV culture - if it hasn't been done in the past 12-24 months

2. Wet mount - this is done by taking a swab of the discharge in your vagina and looking at it under a microscope - the doctor will be able to determine if you have a yeast infection and/or BV (bacterial vaginosis/vaginitis - see other thread on BV)

3. Chlamydia/Gonorrhea culture

4. Bimanual exam - the doctor will be able to assess your uterus and ovaries.

While it is impossible to say what you do or don't have without a pelvic exam based on your description it is possible that you have a yeast infection - not all women get the "itchyness" aspect, some just get discharge which is most often white, with a somewhat thick consistancy and often with little "chunks or curd like pieces".

You didn't mention where in your cycle you are or if you are using any type of birth control (pills, IUD). All of this would be important information for you to provide to your gynecologist - in fact he/she should ask you about it.

As for your urinary complaint - again there can be a variety of reasons. If you have BV or a yeast infection this can sometimes cause that type of sensation. There are a variety of other possibilities - all of which require an exam. One simple thing you can do until you get in to see your doctor is to try drinking cranberry juice once or twice a day. It won't be harmful and maybe helpful.

Ok, let me show some ignorance (if that's the right word). Why would having an IUD affect this? I understand the pill because it could be due to hormone stuff. But an IUD? However, I do think that your reply was very informative. Couldn't have said it better byself...lol.

• Members
Ok, let me show some ignorance (if that's the right word). Why would having an IUD affect this? I understand the pill because it could be due to hormone stuff. But an IUD? However, I do think that your reply was very informative. Couldn't have said it better byself...lol.

Some IUD's have low a dose of hormones.

• Members

I mirror Leslieanne's comments on this thread. You definitely want to see a doctor. It sounds to me like you have a yeast infection...but the 'bloody' portion bothers me. You can have blood present with certain types of infections.

I think going to your doctor telling him/her about all your issues and having the full workup as described is the best course of action.

Good luck!

Leslie gave some fantastic advice (and she's a GYN).

I would also like to point out that, untreated yeast infections can sometimes cause slight bleeding, as can untreated bacterial infections.

My other concern is that you haven't gone to the doctor sooner. You CAN, AND SHOULD make an emergency appointment. If you explain to a nurse what exactly is happening, they'll try to squeeze you in sooner. Your health is their #1 concern.

PLUS, you say your doctor's English is not that good. Darlin', if you can't understand your doctor, ask him to clarify. If you can't understand him due to an accent, get him/her to get their nurse in there. Usually, people that work together can "translate" each other better, so the nurse can translate. Don't worry about offeding your doctor, they are, in fact, working FOR you, and your doctor should definitely be a person you understand completely. Plus, after all the medical school, and internships, they have pretty thick skins. LOL

I hope you find some answers ASAP!

• Members

With regard to the bleeding - as both Mikayla and Tyger stated an infection can cause bleeding in some cases. The cervix gets inflammed in response to the infection and bleeds due to the inflammation. In addition if the infection has moved into the uterus unscheduled bleeding can also occur.

As for iirregular bleeding and BCP and the IUD - some women do have mid cycle spotting on birth control pills, the same can occur with an IUD. In addition for some women with an IUD, the IUD string and cause cervical irritation/inflammation in the absence of an infection which may cause some intermittant spotting. Because there is a possibility of an infection there is no way to determine the cause of the irregular bleeding without an exam.

• Members
As for iirregular bleeding and BCP and the IUD - some women do have mid cycle spotting on birth control pills, the same can occur with an IUD. In addition for some women with an IUD, the IUD string and cause cervical irritation/inflammation in the absence of an infection which may cause some intermittant spotting. Because there is a possibility of an infection there is no way to determine the cause of the irregular bleeding without an exam.

As I am currently finding out you can also get irregular bleeding from stopping Birth Control. Go see a doctor, hun, they'll take care of you. Also, if you really have issues with your doctor get a new on. He may be the best doctor in teh world but if your not understanding him then he's not the best for you. Doctors are like a good pair of jeans, the same one won't fit everyone and you may need to try on a couple before you find teh right one.

thanks for all the replies - bin reading several other sites today - specially another one where there seems to be lots ppl with this problem as well.

But anywho to answer a couple of the questions - not on the pill don't got tiem for guys in school last year and thigns bin massive busy, occurs in cycle 1-2 weeks after last period so no chance it could jsut be starting early, had 1 or 2 PAP tests before at the teen health care center. Never bin tested for others things u've guys mentioned, some other acroymns i got no idea what they mean, I don't know much about this stuff never done any reading untill now since a situation has arrived.

So quick question I'm 21, now what types of test should you be getting yearly or what not / getting checks with what type of doctors. I only get a PAP test once a year, is there more that I should be doing? so regarding some of the other tests mentioned I don't know what they do and if i should be getting them done once every so often.

I don't think its something serious like std, since I've bin with 1 virgin, 1 long time bf who was checkd prior, and my bestfriend who was also checked.

• Members

Concerned - here's some additional information that I hope you find helpful - this is a bit long, however I strongly believe that the more we know and understand the better we can participate in maintaining and improving our own health.

Your risk of exposure to STD's is based on the number of partners you have as well as the number of partners your partners have had. Many STD's do not cause symptoms in men and/or women. There are some STD's for which men can not get tested or the tests are not very accurate (more info below).

Based on your age (21) and you are sexually active, if you were my patient I would recommend the following:

1. Pap smear and HPV culture

HPV = Human Papilloma Virus, it is an STD and is the cause of almost all forms of cervical cancer

If both are negative and you are in a monogomous relationship - repeat both in 2-3 years

If the pap is normal and HPV culture is positive - repeat both in one year

If the pap is abnormal - you will need additional followup and testing

If you change sexual partners - get a pap and HPV culture 9-18 months after starting the new relationship

This is because you now have a new exposure risk

2. Chlamydia and Gonorrhea culture - these are both STD's and can be present without symptoms

Women should have them done every time they have a pap smear from age 18 - 40

3. Bimanual exam - this is when the doctor checks your uterus and ovaries

This allows the physician to check for uterine and/or ovarian tenderness

Also allows the physician to assess the size of your uterus and ovaries

If you are having any symptoms of increased discharge, vaginal itching, irritation, or burning

A "wet mount" should be done - this is done by the doctor in the office (very quick and easy)

Checks for yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis/vaginitis (BV) and trichimonas (which is a STD)

If you are having irregular bleeding

Bring a record of the bleeding to the doctor - there may be a pattern to the "irregular bleeding"

Blood tests to check your hormone levels maybe indicated, based on your history

You should get fully tested for STD's every time you change sexual partners (or once a year if multiple partners at the same time). Full STD testing includes the following:

HPV culture

Men can not be tested for HPV, there is no blood test and the culture does not work on men

Chlamydia and Gonorrhea culture

Men can get tested for this, however the culture is less sensitive (more adapt to be a false negative) in men

HIV

Blood test - good for men and women

Hepititis B

Hepititis C

Syphillis (VDRL)

Wet Mount - checks for trichimonas

This is a test for women only, it is difficult to diagnosis tricimonas in men unless they are having a penile

discharge.

With respect to Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Trichimonas - my feeling is if my patient has it I assume her partner does also and he get's treated as well. If your partner is not treated at the same time you will end up passing it back and forth.

Since yeast and BV are not STD's your partner does not need to be treated, however it is reasonable and appropriate to obstain from intercourse while you are being treated for either/both of these infections.

All of the above tests/exams can be done by either a Family Medicine or Internal Medicine physician or an Obstetrician/Gynecologist. That said there are Family Medicine and Internal Medicine physicians who are not comfortable with doing anything more the the pap and pelvic. Needless to say my bias is that I think woman for the most part are better served seeing and OB/Gyn MD if they need anything other then the routine gyn exam.

Ask questions, request info, be your own advocate and if your physician is willing to work with you, great. If you feel they are reluctant to take your concerns and questions seriously, consider finding another physician if possible.

• Members
thanks for all the replies - bin reading several other sites today - specially another one where there seems to be lots ppl with this problem as well.

But anywho to answer a couple of the questions - not on the pill don't got tiem for guys in school last year and thigns bin massive busy, occurs in cycle 1-2 weeks after last period so no chance it could jsut be starting early, had 1 or 2 PAP tests before at the teen health care center. Never bin tested for others things u've guys mentioned, some other acroymns i got no idea what they mean, I don't know much about this stuff never done any reading untill now since a situation has arrived.

So quick question I'm 21, now what types of test should you be getting yearly or what not / getting checks with what type of doctors. I only get a PAP test once a year, is there more that I should be doing? so regarding some of the other tests mentioned I don't know what they do and if i should be getting them done once every so often.

I don't think its something serious like std, since I've bin with 1 virgin, 1 long time bf who was checkd prior, and my bestfriend who was also checked.

Okay so I have said that I bleed every two weeks, freaked me out when i found out, but are you ready for this: You could be ovulating. Some women experence spotting when ovulating, which is probably where your at in your cycle, they have charts so you can figure this out. BC can actually help regulate this if that's what this is. As for testing you should get your pap annually and a Chalmydia and Gonnehrea test every six months if active and everytime you change partners. That being said if your not active or in a truely monogous relationship you can just getit once a year with your PAP an be fine. Leslie has some WONDERFUL information, I just wanted to add my own experiences to her fantastic knowledge.

• Members
Based on your age (21) and you are sexually active, if you were my patient I would recommend the following:

1. Pap smear and HPV culture

HPV = Human Papilloma Virus, it is an STD and is the cause of almost all forms of cervical cancer

If both are negative and you are in a monogomous relationship - repeat both in 2-3 years

If the pap is normal and HPV culture is positive - repeat both in one year

If the pap is abnormal - you will need additional followup and testing

If you change sexual partners - get a pap and HPV culture 9-18 months after starting the new relationship

This is because you now have a new exposure risk

I'm not trying to spark a debate here but as a doctor do you recommend the HPV vaccine?

• Members

The HPV Vaccine - surprisingly not an easy question to answer......

First a little bit of info regarding HPV (Human Papilloma Virus)

There are approximately 180 different subtypes of the virus (the number varies depending on the studies you read), of those subtypes there are 6 that are considered high risk - in other words six that are known to be associated with cervical cancer.

The HPV Vaccine covers 5 of the 6 high risk subtypes, in addition the vaccine is felt to be effective for 10 yrs - not enough data at this time to be sure of its effectiveness beyond that time frame.

HPV is sly little virus - you can be exposed and infected and never know it. In addition it can be present in the cells of the cervix for many years before it become active. I have a patient who was celebite for 9 yrs after a divorce before getting her first abnormal pap smear (this was before we had the HPV culture).

So if you have never been sexually active, getting the vaccine would be appropriate and reasonable. (This is why when the vaccine was released for use it was recommended that it be given to girls under the age of 12 as they are less likely to have been sexually active.)

If you have been sexually active and your HPV culture is negative, then you may want to consider getting the vaccine.

It is important to remember that the vaccine covers 5 of the 6 high risk subtypes, so getting the vaccine is not a quarantee that you won't end up with HPV and an abnormal (precancerous) pap smear. Getting the vaccine will decrease your risk, but will not eliminate the risk. Getting the vaccine does not mean that you can stop getting pap smears.

It is now considered community standard for a woman to get a HPV culture done at the time of her pap smear. If your physician is not doing this, be sure to ask for it. The HPV culture enables us (physicians) to determine with greater accuracy who is at risk for abnormal changes occuring on their cervix. A positive culture does not mean that you will end up with an abnormal pap smear, it just means that you are in the higher risk group and have to continue getting pap smears once a year. If the culture is negative and you are in a monogomous relationship, studies (lots of them) support the safety of getting pap smears every 2-3 years.

As for your comments about midcycle bleeding/spotting. The most common cause of bleeding and spotting at this time is due to hormone fluctuations that occur during ovulation. That is why if you are having irregular bleeding/spotting it is important to record when it is happening on a calendar and take that with you when you see your physician. The pattern or lack there of can be very helpful when figuring out why the irregular bleeding is occuring.

• Members

As for your comments about midcycle bleeding/spotting. The most common cause of bleeding and spotting at this time is due to hormone fluctuations that occur during ovulation. That is why if you are having irregular bleeding/spotting it is important to record when it is happening on a calendar and take that with you when you see your physician. The pattern or lack there of can be very helpful when figuring out why the irregular bleeding is occuring.

Wow, lots of good info there! I didn't realize it was only good for ten years, and i actually only thought it prevented 4 types! Woohoo for adding in that 5th one! :) I knew it wouldn't be easy and is likely to spark a debate but still worth asking.

I do track it and like freaking clock work it's every two weeks. I just stopped depo so our (mine and my doctors) thought is that once my body stopped freaking out about that I should go back to a once a month or less (as was common with me pre-depo, i was like a once every three month kind of a girl). I just brought this up as it might account for Concerned's bleeding, something to keep in mind, that's all. :)

• Members

SusyP - oops - error in my prior post - despite reading it through at least 4 times before hitting the "Add reply" button I missed my mistake regarding the # of high risk HPV types and the # covered by the vaccine. There are 5 high risk subtypes and 4 are covered by the vaccine. Sorry for the error in my post.

If you were on depo-provera for birth control that alone could explain your irregular bleeding/spotting. One of the most common side effects of depo-provera is irregular bleeding. Some women completely stop having periods, while others spot on an almost daily basis, most women fall somewhere in between. The longer you are on depo-provera the longer it can take your cycles to return to normal. In fact it can take up to 12 months for some women to regain their own cycle pattern.

again, please accept my apology for the error in my prior post. I'm glad you responded otherwise I wouldn't have realized I'd made a mistake.

• Members

Gardasil isn't necessarily only good for 10 years, there's every possibility it's good well beyond that timeframe, it's just that its effectiveness beyond 10 years hasn't been well-studied yet since it is relatively new. :)

• Members
again, please accept my apology for the error in my prior post. I'm glad you responded otherwise I wouldn't have realized I'd made a mistake.

Your human so I can accept that. Yeah when I was on it I had been on it since '03 with short break in there as was recoomended at the time. Ugh hopefully it doesn't take a year!

Gardasil isn't necessarily only good for 10 years, there's every possibility it's good well beyond that timeframe, it's just that its effectiveness beyond 10 years hasn't been well-studied yet since it is relatively new. :)

This is true as well but until data comes out supporting a longer "shelf-life" so to speak we should accept it's 10 year time frame, yes no?

• Members

What I tell my patients is that at this time we know it's good for 10 years, possibly longer, but we need more info before we'll know for sure - so for now think 10 years, with the understanding that the information may change at any time.

• Members

I think of it as being good for at least 10 years... 10 years from now when it's (possibly) time to get another, we'll know whether or not it's good for 20 :P