Official Community Forums Home

Shaving Down There

I recently shaved down below after much contemplation. I asked friends, read the info on this site.. etc. So I did it. the first night was awesome. Of course it looked a little funny to me, but then I got used to it and my husband liked it. Even the next day was good. But day 3, I wanted to die! It itched and burned so bad! I asked my friend again about it, but she said she didnt remember having any problems. well day 4 I sucked it up and shaved again.. even though I was afraid to make it worse. maybe the more I did it,I would get used to it.. I feel like I want the red bumps to go away before shaving again, but I cant go any longer then 3 days at most with out shaving. I just shaved again night before last (so tuesday night) ..and red bumps are still there an it itches! I know it seems crazy to be asking. but I need help! I have even used the coochy cream and aftershave mist and a new blade on my husbands razor. How long will it take for it to get used to shaving? Will the red bumps ever stop? I'm just frustrated and almost about to give up on it. :angry:

• Members

What you are describing is goold ole fashioned razor burn.

If this is the first time youve completely shaved, it will take some time for your cootch to " toughen up"

I used to get razor burn on my cootch really bad, even the thickest shave cream/gel didnt stop it.

I found an awsome solution though, take some good body lotion and just slather it on, then use the cootchie cream on top of it. itll help with the red bumps and burning.

another part of your problem is your lade is brand new and not "worn in" enough yet, just be patient, maybe shave your legs with the blade once, thatll help too.

razor burn--red bumps.. some look like pimples too. and it itches. when I used to shave my bikini line with a razor, I would get the red bumps.. I tried the bikini zone, and that didnt seem to help.. I had the same problem with shaving my legs. But then I started using veet for both places and now I have no problem.. But I cant use the veet down there. So I guess it does have to toughen up some. Just the process is bad! So its not bad to shave over the red bumps then?

• Members
razor burn--red bumps.. some look like pimples too. and it itches. when I used to shave my bikini line with a razor, I would get the red bumps.. I tried the bikini zone, and that didnt seem to help.. I had the same problem with shaving my legs. But then I started using veet for both places and now I have no problem.. But I cant use the veet down there. So I guess it does have to toughen up some. Just the process is bad! So its not bad to shave over the red bumps then?

They look like pimples because the hair is trapped and irritating the skin causing an infectious reaction. This isn't shaving, but I use "Magic Platinum Shaving Powder". Its actually a dipilatory for "black men's faces" ...no, I'm not being politically incorrect because thats what is says on the can. You mix the powder with water to make a thin paste and use it like you would Veet. You can buy it at any drug store, Walmart, Kmart, and its actually inexpensive. I love it.

• Members

If for some reason you don't want to go the dipilatory route (CL is a big proponent of that and I don't blame her a bit) then try to eliminate the razor burn. It just so happens that I have a whole article on how to shave, the best products, the way to eliminate ingrown hairs, etc. on the main page to the site. Go check it out, it might help you.

In the meantime, my best suggestion is unscented deoderant. Helps soften the hair, reduces razor burn and ingrown hairs! My secret weapon. Oh, and a good Brazilian waxing every 6 months!

Mikayla :rolleyes:

deoderant? lol after you shave, I guess!does it work better then that aftershave mist? .. certain brand? I know that dove works EXCELLENT under my arms! lol .. Mikayla, I read your article and thats what made me decide to do it. So if I keep shaving every other day, it will get used to it and the bumps should go away? ok, so going against the grain...the hair grows down, and you shave up? I dont mean to ask all these stupid questions but I'm kinda nieve(sp) on these kinda things. Me and my husband have been married 5 1/2 years and with in the past 6 months is when I'm been more open to certain things. And of course things are going great!

I appreciate ANY and ALL help!!!

• Members

Will the red bumps ever stop?

Shaving "down there" has been a part of my life since I was twelve. I am now 40. :D Life begins at 40, so I am told. Here are a few tips that you might find helpful in your new "experience".

******NEVER DRY SHAVE******

1. DON'T SCRATCH; only makes them worse

2. NEVER use a DULL, WORN razor

3. Razor for "cootch" should ONLY be used for THAT purpose

a) never use a SINGLE-BLADE

B) TRIPLE-BLADES use EXTREME CAUTION

c) make sure there is a "moisture/lubricating" strip on razor of choice

d) a TWIN-BLADE disposable like Daisy or Gillette with comfort grip works well

e) don't apply TOO MUCH PRESSURE (scalps tender skin)

4. DISCARD "cootch" razor after about three shaves (employ it to your underarms and legs)

5. Be GENTLE, don't keep going over the same area trying to achieve "BABY SMOOTH"

6. DON'T SHAVE IF YOU HAVE GOOSE BUMPS

a) don't shave AGAINST the hair growth

B) above "clit" area try not to shave up toward belly button, sideways is okay

7. USE PLENTY OF WARM WATER, LATHER UP A FEW TIMES, RINSE, LATHER, SHAVE (rinse razor often)

(helps to soften hair folicles, get rid of "goose-bumps" and EASES TENSION)

8. PAT DRY-NEVER RUB FRESHLY SHAVED AREA

9. DON'T USE LOTION on FRESHLY SHAVED SKIN

(hair folicles are "open", lotion gets trapped and creates bacteria and THUS "RED BUMPS")

10. USE NEOSPORIN (OR EQUILVALENT) on FRESHLY SHAVED SKIN

a) a little goes a LONG way

B) anti-bacterial agents help fight "red bumps" and it also MOISTURIZES "ASSAULTED" skin

c) make sure your HUSBAND WASHES HIS HANDS BEFORE ANY "TOUCHING"

d) remind him to exercise awareness when he is "petting" you and not to pet "AGAINST" hair growth

11. Make a ROUTINE/PATH pattern, and follow it until you become comfortable with shaving

I hope these TIPS help you. There may seem like TOO MANY and not worth the EFFORT. Just use them as GUIDELINES (see #11).

RECAP: NO DULL OR DIRTY RAZOR; RINSE RAZOR OFTEN; SHAVE WITH/NOT AGAINST GROWTH; DON'T "SCALP" by applying TOO MUCH PRESSURE; PAT DRY; APPLY SMALL AMOUNT OF ANTI-BACTERIAL ointment

Pretty soon you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed. Really!!!! I like to shave in the shower, easier to rinse and don't be afraid to lather up as often as necessary.

Shaving is fun. Don't think of it as "DAY 3, #$!@ I gotta shave" I ALWAYS look forward to being able to shave when my "PUBES" are "long" enough. There's nothing better than an clean shaven (not necessasarily BALD) "DOWN THERE".

• Members

Well, I couldn't have been more complete if I had written most of that myself.

I myself have used neosporin also, in the beginning, when I would "knick" myself. It does help. She is right, get a pattern, get used to it, it will get better. If you are continually getting razor burn, a dipilatory cream, like Nair or one that CL uses, might be a better option for you. Just remember, they SMELL BAD!

I do swear by the non-scented deoderant though. Think of how often you shave your pits, and how nice and smooth they are....it is the deoderant! However, you want NON-scented for your cooch, and NEVER get it inside!

Also, are you using a good shave gel? Something with aloe works great! YES, try to shave against the grain, as you would your legs. Be careful around the top (clitoral hood) try to shave more sideways than up or down. Also, NEVER make more than 2 passes...frequently it will feel like you have more stubble, but you will be pretty clean shaven!

Since you like it and your hubby likes it, keep it up. Remember, sometimes trying to go "clean" the first time can be a little harsh on the sensitive skin. So once the skin toughens up, like your legs and pits have done, you will be a shave pro!

Good Luck!

Mikayla :rolleyes:

wow! you guys are awesome! I'm so glad I decided to write here! It's been a tremendous help! These are all great tips that I will use for sure! I'm using the free sample of the cootch cream I got from too timid. Megasplasher says not to be afraid to lather too much.. so maybe I Wasnt using enough cream. I'm also using some edge shaving gel with extra protection against niks and cuts. I also have a 3 blade razor. So maybe I should go to double. I coulda been pushing too hard thinking it would get a closer shave. Anyways, so I can see with all these tips and info, that things should be going better for me. I really appreciate everything!!!! :D

• Members

Ok, so I'm going to repeat some things that have already been said. :) But I just started shaving for the first time about two months ago. Before that I had never trimmed or anything. My fiancee shaved himself one time before coming over, and it was so nice to do oral on him, it felt so good. He said that the sex would feel alot different and better if I shaved as well. So, for him, I decided to try it, as a surprise. I came to this website like you did and read EVERYTHING I could find. I'm a firm believer in research. So I went home and tried it. It took me like an hour. :) Course I had to trim it first cuz of all that long thick hair. Like you, it was great the first night, the next day, I showed my fiancee and he loved it! So I decided I would do it from then on. Two days after that I was seriously rethinking it. I didn't itch, but I burned something awful and had irritation bumps. I thought, yeah, this is real attractive. :) My fiancee told me not to do it anymore, but I said, no, I read it would take time and I'm gonna keep doing it. So anyway, just to give you hope now, it's much better. I may get one or two bumps, but nothing like the first time! So here are some things I discovered, and as I said, they will probably just echo what's already been said. :) The first time or two I did it, I kept going over the same spot because I felt like I still had stubble. Then I realized that it could feel that way, but once I'd rinse it off and pat it dry, that wasn't always the case. I also realized that I had to go sloooooow. :) I had to kinda plan a time to do it when I knew I wasn't going to be rushed, and also that when I was moving the razor across the skin, I went slowly. That seemed to really help. I also had a lotion that came from a waxing kit I had bought that was made to go on skin that had been recently waxed. I used that on the top part and it really seemed to soothe the burning. I also used a venus vibrance razor. I didn't turn on the vibration part, but I really like the venus razors. Anyway, I hope that helps. I just wanted to give you hope that it does get better pretty quickly! :)

• Members
I recently shaved down below after much contemplation. I asked friends, read the info on this site.. etc. So I did it. the first night was awesome. Of course it looked a little funny to me, but then I got used to it and my husband liked it. Even the next day was good. But day 3, I wanted to die! It itched and burned so bad! I asked my friend again about it, but she said she didnt remember having any problems. well day 4 I sucked it up and shaved again.. even though I was afraid to make it worse. maybe the more I did it,I would get used to it.. I feel like I want the red bumps to go away before shaving again, but I cant go any longer then 3 days at most with out shaving. I just shaved again night before last (so tuesday night) ..and red bumps are still there an it itches! I know it seems crazy to be asking. but I need help! I have even used the coochy cream and aftershave mist and a new blade on my husbands razor. How long will it take for it to get used to shaving? Will the red bumps ever stop? I'm just frustrated and almost about to give up on it. :angry:

Hello - just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in :P

Mikayla stated "YES, try to shave against the grain, as you would your legs."

I was taught that you always shave downward (with the growth) and finish upward (against the growth)

This is what helps eliminate the red bumps associated with shaving. It also provides a closer shave.

I have used Coochy Shave Creme for about eight years and find it to be the best tool when shaving ANYTHING hehe.

I also have ultra sensitive skin - so what really helps is getting your skin adjusted to being hairless and shave daily (at least try to) - once your skin adjusts you can skip a day or 2 - here and there, but personally I have found it best to do every day - and you get so used to doing it, it just becomes a routine thing while you're bathing.

Best of luck! :)