Official Community Forums Home

Depression Meds

• Members

My friend just called me this afternoon, she said she had a personal question for me.... so I gave her my full attention...

She told me she had been put on Zoloft. Now I hadn't talked to her in a while but she said she is having a really hard time reaching orgasm during sex! She said she gets aroused and all but just can't get there!

Now I do not have personal experience with depression meds, maybe some of you have? Her boyfriend suggested they try some toys. I think that is a good idea, to add them in but what else can I tell her? Any advice out there??

Thanks in advance!! :)

• Members

Sunny, I don't personally have experience with any meds, but I do know depression meds can inhibit orgasm. She switched meds and was fine after the switch. I have no idea what she's taking.

• Members

Sunny, I don't personally have experience with any meds, but I do know depression meds can inhibit orgasm. She switched meds and was fine after the switch. I have no idea what she's taking.

Lady is right, she needs to talk to her doctor and get her meds switched. Sex is a normal part of healthy relationship and not being able to have it as she did before can imped her healing process. So maybe a switch? I've done some research and found that Wellbutrin has the lowest possible chance of sexual side effects. This might be something worth talking to her doctor about.

• Members

While most people tolerate these kinds of meds well, a certain percentage have sexual side effects. One of the most common is inhibited orgasm. For guys, this at first makes them feel like the 'marathon man', but gets old very fast.

Inhibited orgasm is a side effect that should not be tolerated; find a new med.

Welburtrin is one med that for many, actually boosts libido to a significant degree.

• Members

Zoloft is a great offender for attacking libido - and - it also can cause extreme constipation. Wellbutrin is OK for some, but when my hb was on it a few years ago to help him stop smoking it affected his ability to keep an erection. There are many options, the best thing is to be your own self advocate (or she should be) and not take this side affects as 'a must.' I have always found it particularly upsetting that a drug that is supposed to HELP your mood takes away your mood to have sex; and thereby causes other issues.

I am not a doctor, but I do know that sometimes something as simple as regular, vigorous exercise can produce the same effects as an anti-depressant (but, of course, this is contingent upon the level of depression). I also feel that sometimes doctors doll out the meds too easily, instead of attacking the real issues, they seem to try and mask the symptoms -which, if you think about it, doesn't help anyone.

just my $1.50.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV (sometimes I've helped the nurse at school, does that count? LOL). Anyway, I have a few friends that suffer from depression. The ones that have been on Zoloft have complained about that very same thing. Mood killing to the max!

Have your friend talk with her doctor who prescribed the meds. Obviously, their main goal is to make sure that depression doesn't effect her life as much as they can, and her sex life is one of those aspects. Too many people just think it's something they have to put up with, but it's not.

Good luck!

• Members

It seems like the general consensus is to switch meds... I will wait for any more replies before I tell her. THANKS so much!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Depending on the person and what medication you're on, this is common. I've experienced a decrease in libido or difficulty getting physically aroused on SOME medications (lexapro, celexa). Other medications don't have an effect on me, such as prozac, cymbalta, etc.

From what I know, people just switch medications and try to find one that doesn't decrease their libido.

• Members

was wondering if things to worked out or not.. :huh:

Thanks everyone she stopped her meds and now she is much better. Trying the natural route I guess!

• Members

Thanks everyone she stopped her meds and now she is much better. Trying the natural route I guess!

Some times that helps, and as a friend I'm sure your going to be there for her cause it's a tough road she's gonna be on, but one that will ultimately help her more in the end.

• Members

Well I know for a fact that Effexor can cause a complete loss of libido. Unfortunately the wife's Doc doesn't think that any of the other drug choices would do any better, but he's not the one married to someone who could care less if she never had sex again..... :(

• Members

Well I know for a fact that Effexor can cause a complete loss of libido. Unfortunately the wife's Doc doesn't think that any of the other drug choices would do any better, but he's not the one married to someone who could care less if she never had sex again..... :(

i would try to get a second opinion if i were you. low sex drives (and cutting sex all together) can really hurt a relationship, me and my hubby have been going thru this kind of stuff too & it's very hard when i get all dolled up and he'd rather just watch a movie then have sex with me.

• Members

Well honestly. The rest of life for her is much better than it was before the meds so I've learned to live with little to no sex. Her overall well being is more important to me than a normal sex life. Sacrifices are made in all relationships and I guess this is one of mine.

Life goes on..........

• Members

Well honestly. The rest of life for her is much better than it was before the meds so I've learned to live with little to no sex. Her overall well being is more important to me than a normal sex life. Sacrifices are made in all relationships and I guess this is one of mine.

Life goes on..........

that's very good that you have this outlook. way to stay strong! i have to say i admire the sacrifices that you have made.