Official Community Forums Home

It Was A Hard Night Last Night...

Tyger

I feel pretty close to many of you, and just wanted to share.

Last night, I had to put my 17 yr old gelding (horse) down. He had been very sick, and we'd been trying everything possible to get him better. Ironically, I'd made a vet appointment for him that very morning.

Long story short, I ended up having to put him down because he just wasn't getting better and he was acting wierd and laying all the way down. For those of you that don't know much about horses, when a horse lays all the way down, with even it's head on the ground, something is wrong, because their bodies aren't made for that. They can do more damage laying all the way down than most anything else.

He'd been sick for about 3 mos, and his body finally said enough.

I have some tail and mane clippings to make a few braids out of, to remember his coloring by, and, well, needless to say, it was a hard, sad night last night.

Thanks for reading. :(

• Members

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always tough to lose an animal you love. Extremely difficult when it happens like that, you have to make a choice to put them down, or let them keep suffering.

Sylvina

• Members

Tyger,

I am so sorry to hear that you had to make that choice.

I am sure to you he was not just a horse or just an animal, but a part of your family as well.

I recently had to make that same choice as well.

I had to euthanize my black lab, after having had her for 15 years.

At least you will have some wonderful memories of long pleasent rides, and calming,relaxing moments of brushing his mane and tail.

I think it is an excellent idea to keep small braids as a momento.

Although it is hard now, it will get easier.

You have my heartfelt condolences on your loss.

((HUGS))

• Members

Well, damn, hon, that happened quick -- guess you can ignore my 'helpful advice' when you get my letter.

*hugs* I'm sorry. He was a beautiful baby and had a good, loved life.

• Members

I am very sorry! I had horses when I was younger, my grandfather owned a ranch. I remember him having to put a few horses down - and I never understood why. I too have had to put animals down, my last dog had luekemia and we had to put her down the same day we brought her to the vet to find out why she was peeing everywhere - it was a shock!

People with animals will understand that they become a part of your family - and it is extremely sad to have to put them down!

Sorry again.

Mikayla

• Members

Tyger, I so sorry to hear that. It is hard to have an anilmal pass. :( I have lost animals in the past also and it is never easy. have you read the Rainbow Bridge Poem? When My Boxer baby passed last year I printed the poem with her picture. you can go to rainbowbridge.com to read the poem. It was helpfull to me.

• Members

:( Aw. I'm SO sorry. It's so hard to loose a pet that you love. :(

Meg.

I feel pretty close to many of you, and just wanted to share.

Last night, I had to put my 17 yr old gelding (horse) down. He had been very sick, and we'd been trying everything possible to get him better. Ironically, I'd made a vet appointment for him that very morning.

Long story short, I ended up having to put him down because he just wasn't getting better and he was acting wierd and laying all the way down. For those of you that don't know much about horses, when a horse lays all the way down, with even it's head on the ground, something is wrong, because their bodies aren't made for that. They can do more damage laying all the way down than most anything else.

He'd been sick for about 3 mos, and his body finally said enough.

I have some tail and mane clippings to make a few braids out of, to remember his coloring by, and, well, needless to say, it was a hard, sad night last night.

Thanks for reading. :(

Thanks for all your kind words of support. I really appreciate it! :)

• Members

Hey Tyger, I'm so sorry to here about your horse. I guess we've all been there or will be there with a pet we love. My family had a great dane that lived to be 11, and we had to put her down. She was having seizures and started having a continence problem. She was miserable and we couldn't watch it anymore. It was still one of the hardest decisions we ever made. It was definitely the hardest thing I'd ever watched. I went to the vet with my mom to have her put to sleep, and I hadn't ever witnessed an animal dying like that, especially not one I loved so much. It was so hard. We did what you did though. She was a purebred dane, but she had the faulty long haired coat. We got her for free because of that. Anyway, when she died we cut some of the hair from her tail.

Anyway, I'm sorry you had to go through that. There aren't any words that can make it better. Although, that poem that WifeMomSlave mentioned really is a big comfort.

• Members

Hi Tyger, I don't post here very often but I seen your post and had to reply. I am very sorry to hear about your horse. It sounds as though he had a wonderful life and was very loved. I know how you feel all to well. I lost my 23 year old mare back in May. Had my 14 yr old lab put down 3 yrs ago and my 11 year old rottwieler is not doing very well right now either. If you ever want to talk horses give me a hollar. I spend most of my time on...yep, a horse forum, but I drop by every once in a while for ideas to spice up the evening. Take care and once again I am so sorry.