Official Community Forums Home

Allergies

justmae

Every person is different, when it comes to allergies.

To be on the safe side, the most "safer" toys for those allergic to latex are the hard plastic ones, and glass ones. Glass ones may SOUND uncomfortable, cold, and unexciting.....but, trust me!!! They are some of the best toys out there!!!! At least IMO.

Cyberskin can be tricky, cuz they require to be dusted with talc powder after usage, to protect and maintain the material. Talc powder can also be found on latex (like in latex gloves).

Also, look for toys that, if they are questionable, they say on the packaging "hypo-allergenic". Knowing that there are a lot of allergy sufferers out there, more and more companies are trying to expand their toy lines for more options for those people that have such allergies.

Also, always wash your toys before use, and after use, with antibacterial soap. Make sure you get all of the soap off too. When using lubes, make sure that they are safe for you. If you feel any itching or burning (or both) when using a new lube, discontinue use at once. Of course, this is also true for toys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
If you use cornstarch on your Cyberskin toys rather than talc, there shouldn't be a problem.

We have discovered my wife has allergies to latex, just when she decided to try and let me do penetration with a toy it happen to be made of something that cause her vaginal area to have a burning sensation and it didn't help when I got some astroglide on the area either. Once we got the green light to attempt sex again after having the baby, the last thing I expected was this on top of us just learning the reason we were having trouble initially was lack of lubrication. So when we tried adding some lube well it just happen to be the wrong type.

:o Glenn :(

• Members

Having been in the medical field for years, I developed a latex allergy from the gloves. For probably 10+ years my hands stayed constantly inflammed and unbelievably not a single doctor I worked with could diagnose exactly what the problem was. The doctor I have worked with for the last 9 years was the first one to suggest a possible latex allergy. Started wearing vinyl gloves and haven't suffered a day since. One comment Glennbaker1 made about Astroglide caught my attention. Is their something in this product that can aggravate those with a latex allergy? I have used Astroglide for probably six months or more and haven't had any problems. I don't ever want to get back to the point I was at before so just thought I would ask.

My DH and I are starting to explore anal, and seeing that I am something of a neat freak, I purchased some of the lambskin condoms for him to use. I agree with babeinwoods, using these will allow you to continue using the toys that you love (although it gets a little expensive as the lambskins are not cheap). It is amazing, when you start looking for it, how many products in everyday use contain latex. Just about anything rubber these days contains latex. A tremendous amount of medical supplies contain latex including IV tubing, syringes and so forth. We have started to carry latex free products for our patients who have this sensitivity. Some have allergies so severe, that simply breathing in the powder from the gloves can induce a violent reaction.

As far as I know, and read on the bottle, Astroglide doesn't have any similar component. It's water-based. Now, it may be the silicone version that may bother you too. BUT I'm not in the medical field, so I am not fully sure. Again, I encourage you to ask your doctor. Trust me, they've heard it all, and know that lubes are used, so don't be shy. Doctors are there for your medical care, and they can't fully treat you if you're not completely honest with them, no matter how embarrassed you may get.

Best wishes!!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I think it is more that you are already irritated. I have used some lubes without any problem, but one night we were a little impatient and started before I got wet and didn't use any lube. We had to stop right away, but my vagina was pretty irritated. I was still in the mood, though, so I got my trusty lube, and right away, it started stinging like crazy! I had used that lube many times without problem, and have used it since without problem, so I think that it is just like when you accidentally get soap in a new cut. It is just irritating on the main problem, there isn't a problem with the lube. But, it could be that she was also allergic to something in that lube, and just happened to have already been reacting to the latex, I don't know...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
I think I may be developing a sensitivity to latex. What kinds of material are safe? What should I avoid?

Great question! I'm allergic to latex and latex-based materials, but I found that I can use the jelly material products with no problem. Just give it a test to be certain if you're allergic, while keeping the phone nearby just in case you have an emergency (god forbid).