Official Community Forums Home

Oral Contraception.

mlynnc

• Members

I have an active sex life and therefore have always been on oral contraception.

Even being on this type of contraception - I have never really been confident with letting me partner climax inside of me.

I really would like some more information on how safe it is to do so and at what points? 99% safe? At ALL times? Or just at certain times during my cycle?

I have let him climax inside of me a few times, but I always try to make sure it is right before my period (when my pills are about to end) - because for some reason, having my period after he cums inside of me makes me feel better about it. Like, it is flushing it out.

When is it safe to have full-blown sex while actively on birth control??

• Members

Keep in mind also that while oral contraceptives are 99.999% effective against pregnancy when used properly, they are 0% effective against STDs. Otherwise, I think what Howard wrote was spot on.

Thurisas.

• Members

Also, if I may add, depending on what pill you are on you will want to seriously think about side affects. Some of the newer pills or the POP (progesterone only pills) have some really unwanted side affects - so ask your doctor which is best. Also, if you smoke - STOP - smoking and the pill are no-nos. There are other considerations, such as the shots or the patch - depending on what you want. Many of the pills now require that to be 99.99 % effective you MUST take them at the same time every day within a 3 hour window - so make sure that you check that out.

Basically, discuss with your doctor, know the risks, take them as directed and always protect against STDs.

Everyone has pretty much said all that what your doctor should have told you when you went on BC. We're going by what many of OUR doctors/GYNs have told us too, and in no way are we claiming to be medical professionals.

Smoking & drinking are no-no's when it comes to oral contraceptives. That was worth repeating! They can weaken the effects of them. Also, some antibiotics also weaken the Pill too. Though, that doesn't mean that if you have to take an antibiotic, you should stop taking the Pill, since you will be getting SOME of the hormones, and everyone's metabolism is different. When on antibiotics, use condoms as well.

I was on BC from the age of 16-29, with no problems, and only 2 "scares", where my period was a day late. I know, sounds extreme, but my periods, once on BC, were like clockwork, and being a day late for me, was scary. I could almost set my clock to when I would start (literally). However, everyone is different.

I would definitely recommend that if you have questions such as these, you call the doctor that saw you and prescribed the Rx for the BC and ask that doctor. Your Dr Rxed you the Pill that (s)he thought would be the best fit, and best medically for YOU, so I would trust what your doctor has said. Also, research the Pill that you're on.

Best Wishes!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

For what it's worth, despite using oral contraception:

- We ended up with two of our kids (wife started a day and a half late for one of those, but no mix ups for the other)

- wife's mother had kids number 3 and 4

- woman across street ended up with twins (cried for two weeks when she learned she was pregnant)

- lady up the street had a kid

- lady around the corner had a kid

- secretary at work had a kid, didn't even know she was preggo because she was still getting her periods

There are a few others I know of, but can't remember right off.

There was a commercial on the telly for the pills my wife used (a common pill, I believe), saying they were 98% effective, "and for the other 2%, contact your health care provider" they said in a giggly voice.

That commercial didn't run for very long. Probably got a bunch of angry calls.

• Members

If it's really important not to get pregnant, why wouldn't you just use two forms of birth control--like the pill and a condom? Since it sounds like you are not married yet, a condom is a good idea just to protect against STDS but also as an insurance policy for the pill.

on a related topic, has anyone ever heard of using birth control pills to control PMS or cramping or heavy, painful periods?

Many women DO in fact, use BC for helping regulate their periods, aleviate cramps, and control PMS. So, yes, that is real.

There is no 100% guarantee against pregnancy, unless you just DON'T have sex! Women can and do get pregnant with the Pill. Sometimes they just have the wrong strength of Pill, or they skip one, and try to double up, thinking that they'll be OK. Then they forget that they do this. You're NOT "OK" if you double up!! Always double up on BC (use condom) if you skip a dose, always! If you notice on those commericials, they add "when used correctly" in their lingo.

I know one friend that both her kids are Pill Babies. She was on antidepressants when she was on them, and her doctor didn't give her the correct dosage/Rx for what she was on.

Remember, very important, that if you're taking any antibiotics, always always tell your health care provider that you are on the Pill, and always always always DOUBLE UP With your birth control, aka use a condom!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
on a related topic, has anyone ever heard of using birth control pills to control PMS or cramping or heavy, painful periods?

Yes, this is true. In fact, many women choose the pill specifically because they are looking to help control heavy bleeding or deal with PMS symptoms in addition to, or irregardless of their birth control needs. There are some medical conditions that are also treated with these pills, endometriosis for example. And there are some types of pills that also help with specific PMS symptoms: acne and depression for another example.

If you are having heavy painful periods, it is best to check with your provider for what is the cause, and what may be your best treatment options.