Official Community Forums Home

Upsetting More Than Anything.

littlemissnonamegirl

• Members

Okay so I guess to get right to the point,

I am tired of the constant battle to be a specific weight and body type for dance. I love to dance, it's what I do. It's pretty much everything to me. But, apparently my weight isn't what it SHOULD be and the fact that I have boobs is just not gonna fly. I mean I'm not wicked big in the chest, but I definitely have enough to say I need a good lining and am not flat as a board. I have always been a small framed girl, and very tiny. And when I was a freshman in high school, I magically got a chest. (yeah puberty.) I weigh 105-106 [i dunno my weight fluctuates all ze time] and I am 5'3. And apparently compared to pretty much half my classes, I am the fat one. Let me clarify now, I don't think I'm fat and I'm not anorexic. But the trouble is, I need to lose like 10 pounds at least, to even compare weight wise with these ladies. I eat healthy, I am on a strict diet, I don't eat any junk food pretty much MAJORITY of the time, and I dance everyday and workout. I don't know what else I can do. It's stressful and really upsetting to look in the mirror or wear a leotard in class and know you're not what you should look like.

Now not all dance places are like this, and I am fully aware. I've danced all over and seen places where size didn't matter and everyone was fabulous and talented regardless of size shape whatever. But, where I want to be and dance, image is everything and you have to have it. I'm not trying to whine or come off being a brat, I appologize if it seems it, I just am frustrated and upset. I feel like I'm giving 110 percent, and it's just not doing much. I love dance, and I want to do this, I just don't know what else to do with my body without harming it. I'm trying to be healthy and do it the right way. But I feel like I cannot lose anymore weight.

Sorry again for the rant.

• Members

In the sort of lifestyle you want to be in, you're right, image is everything. The thing is that sometimes, just sometimes, you can make up for one place lacking by excelling in another. If you are healthy as you are, and you are comfortable where you are, then you have to find that one thing within you that will make it next to impossible for your judges/teachers/instructors/choreographers/whatever to deny you. Is this to say that you still won't be denied? Of course not, but anyone who watches you perform will see it. The people who do, and do well, have a specific presence that is hard to ignore and hard to deny. What are you doing to show your presence on stage and in your classes? What are you doing that none of the others who fit the "image" aren't or can't? We all have the ability to show a presence, you just need to find and perfect yours.

Thurisas.

• Members

First of all, I am so sorry for you that you are going through this but in spite of it all, you have a great head on your shoulders. I think it sucks that women get discriminated against because of their weight. In fairness, some men do get discrimination too in sports. If they're not tall enough or built the right way, the coaches ususally find a way to cut them from the team. ( I know this because one of my hubbie's BF is a coach and I have heard it straight from their mouth). Anyhow, I just wanted to tell you that if it is your dream or your goal in life to dance, DON'T GIVE UP! Look at how far you have already came for this. You know your limits and your values. Stand up for them. Hold fast to them. It's true, dancers go through a lot, but I am sure you know first hand how hard the life is, as you have told us a little in your rant. I wish you all the luck in the world for this as it is evidently one of your passions. Let us know how things turn out! We'll be cheering for ya!

• Members

Thank you to EVERYONE for your kind words and positive encouragement...

You all definitely have been an inspiration to keep pushing and doing it the RIGHT way. if I lose anymore weight I'd be a skeleton, I am working with what I have and playing up my strengths. That is all you can do right? I will be sure to keep you posted on this nonsense, tis a shame what pressure we must face. But I refuse to succumb, no way. I have worked to hard.

Love to all of you.

and thank you...it means more than you'd ever realize to have this support.

<3

amelia

Girl, don't worry about what the "Norm" is for dancers......I'm sure you're good, and, I'm sure it'll be recognized! Look at all the different body shapes in some of the newer dance movies!! Most of those girls have BREASTS!!! Be true to yourself, and just do what Tango says, if they piss you off....thump 'em in the nuts! LMAO I'm kidding of course.....maybe. ;)

• Members

You've got good sense and a great attitude....that along with your drive and talent will show though and help you get where you want to go. Just don't let all those other catty witches bring you down. There are way too many horror stories of young women who have really hurt themselves or worse in striving to fit that unrealistic ideal that they want to force down your throat....Don't let them get you and don't give up on your dreams! :D

• Members

If I remember correctly those pics in the pix area are of you. If that is true then you are nowhere near being fat. Limber, graceful, beautiful, and many other words would ring true but losing sight of things over issues as petty as breast size just isn't worth the harm you could do to yourself. I hadn't known this to be a norm in dancing but then I'm no dancer. In many areas of dance there are still open areas for those who have the drive and desire to get there. Yes it's a pisser but to succeed on your own terms is just that much more satisfying when you do get what you want. Don't let anyone decide what is best for you. Keep reaching for your dreams. YOU WILL GET THERE!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

wel...let me start off by

YOU ARE NOT FAT IN ANY WAY.

I am also 5'3 ...but I weigh 247...

if u want to dance ...dance... this society is WAY to hung up on numbers then health of a person. When I weighted 160"s...I was an excercise maniac..and it was gross what id di to myself.

:) lif eis TOO SHORT...be happy with what u do...that is what I SAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Members

I'm 5'0" and I weigh 85lbs and I don't have the perfect body for dancing either; so pshaw to numbers. I'm sure you're great and the trick is when someone tries to bring you down because you have endowments - tell them to bite you, you have the talent and that's all that matters. Confidence is key. ^^

• Members
"It's Friday night

and she's dressed so right

pretty hair and wow what sight

dance, dance little sister dance!"

just had to chime in and at the same time give IHA a little Mick and Keith!

:)

I like that.

thank you, very very sweet.

• Members
Okay so I guess to get right to the point,

I am tired of the constant battle to be a specific weight and body type for dance. I love to dance, it's what I do. It's pretty much everything to me. But, apparently my weight isn't what it SHOULD be and the fact that I have boobs is just not gonna fly. I mean I'm not wicked big in the chest, but I definitely have enough to say I need a good lining and am not flat as a board. I have always been a small framed girl, and very tiny. And when I was a freshman in high school, I magically got a chest. (yeah puberty.) I weigh 105-106 [i dunno my weight fluctuates all ze time] and I am 5'3. And apparently compared to pretty much half my classes, I am the fat one. Let me clarify now, I don't think I'm fat and I'm not anorexic. But the trouble is, I need to lose like 10 pounds at least, to even compare weight wise with these ladies. I eat healthy, I am on a strict diet, I don't eat any junk food pretty much MAJORITY of the time, and I dance everyday and workout. I don't know what else I can do. It's stressful and really upsetting to look in the mirror or wear a leotard in class and know you're not what you should look like.

Now not all dance places are like this, and I am fully aware. I've danced all over and seen places where size didn't matter and everyone was fabulous and talented regardless of size shape whatever. But, where I want to be and dance, image is everything and you have to have it. I'm not trying to whine or come off being a brat, I appologize if it seems it, I just am frustrated and upset. I feel like I'm giving 110 percent, and it's just not doing much. I love dance, and I want to do this, I just don't know what else to do with my body without harming it. I'm trying to be healthy and do it the right way. But I feel like I cannot lose anymore weight.

Sorry again for the rant.

What kind of dance are we discussing here? At 5'3 and 106 lbs you should be able to dance any style . Theater arts included. Have you considered ballroom? Salsa/latin & swing would be a joy with someone your size. Maybe I used to the super duper heavy weights in my world.

Glenn

• Members
What kind of dance are we discussing here? At 5'3 and 106 lbs you should be able to dance any style . Theater arts included. Have you considered ballroom? Salsa/latin & swing would be a joy with someone your size. Maybe I used to the super duper heavy weights in my world.

Glenn

Hm moreso geared towards the ballet thing.

I love all styles of dance including theater. i actually took a lindy class and fell in love with it :)

I just don't fit in with the mold of most dancers.

• Members
Hm moreso geared towards the ballet thing.

I love all styles of dance including theater. i actually took a lindy class and fell in love with it :)

I just don't fit in with the mold of most dancers.

I guess your size isnt that fad anymore but I thought it used to be the norm. Get into ballroom and do Lindy and you'll enjoy it. The guys will too. Trust me you'll do more then sweat. In fact you can teach it, they need teachers all the time although male dominate the business with the lady customers. Women have to compete but you have a great body and are cute with great smile. Women have to compete but the single guys that pay make the decisions. If they want you, they pretty much yours.

Glenn