Official Community Forums Home

I Hate The Disability Aspect Of Job Seeking

Sailor Girl

• Members

I don't have a job, I didn't graduate from college. I've been helping my mother since she's had breast cancer for the past three years, and when I keep job seeking, all I see is disability job fairs. Why? I hate feeling like I need a whole job fair set aside for the people with developmental delays, the people in wheelchairs, because we're so unique, you can't lump us together into one fair. I'd rather get passed over, while Joe sighted woman gets a job and know that i'm with my peers. I just can not stand the disability aspect of oh well let's group them into that category. My resume is not something i'm proud of, I don't even have a cover letter, I swear I could cry I'm just so frustrated. I just want someone to help write the cover letter, I'll send it to the job employer, and be done with it. I won't even go into salary negotiations or anything, sigh.

• Members

Thanks for your words. I didn't take it as a criticism, and I admit when I heard Christian, I did before reading, lump you as you say into that preconcieved notion. I realize there are differing aspects of religion as with all life. All i want is to do something, anything. I'm really not school oriented, I had an experience wherein first i let the disability office handle everything. Once i got on my feet, and said this is how to help me, they were offended and ended up making me feel as though it was my fault for getting a backbone. I have my resume set, I'll have a friend work on it again, she did the formatting. I'm not picky, I have experience in customer service, though not much. But my work ethic is what I think will set me apart, even on breaks between classes, I'd eat lunch and log into the phone system. You'd have to break my hands for me not to work. I'm just so annoyed and frustrated, sigh. Thanks for responding.

• Members

As a person without any disabilities, I admire the way you want to 'do it on your own.' With that said, let me just say....the truth is, you are seeing impaired and as such it is easier for potential employers to hire or not hire you based on that knowledge. If it is any consolation to you, people get excluded for potential jobs for so many reasons - too fat, too tall, not pretty enough (yes people, this does happen), not the right degree, not enough job experience, not a good personality to work with the public.

My advice is similar to that of Iha (I just like to follow him and agree) - get a specialized degree so that it will not matter whether you can see or not, all that will matter is that you have the degree or certificate and are willing to work. I am sure there is a counselor or doctor or someone who knows you, who can get you in the right direction.

Good luck and I am sure you will find something sooner than you know!

As a person without any disabilities, I admire the way you want to 'do it on your own.' With that said, let me just say....the truth is, you are seeing impaired and as such it is easier for potential employers to hire or not hire you based on that knowledge. If it is any consolation to you, people get excluded for potential jobs for so many reasons - too fat, too tall, not pretty enough (yes people, this does happen), not the right degree, not enough job experience, not a good personality to work with the public.

My advice is similar to that of Iha (I just like to follow him and agree) - get a specialized degree so that it will not matter whether you can see or not, all that will matter is that you have the degree or certificate and are willing to work. I am sure there is a counselor or doctor or someone who knows you, who can get you in the right direction.

Good luck and I am sure you will find something sooner than you know!

Mikayla is absolutely correct!! People get excluded for all sorts of jobs, including the "petty" sounding ones. But, say, for instance, in the "not pretty enough" catagory, think of it this way, have you ever seen a really ugly female or male sales associates that's right out front, and helping customers? No, not really. The company has an image, and they like to put their best foot forward.

One company I worked for, blatantly told me that I was exactly what they were looking for to add diversity to their area. I was tall, and white. Plus I was pretty, with nice nails. All good for getting men to purchase more merchandise. Plus, most of the other associates in the area were either Mexicans or African-Americans. They felt they needed at least one "upfront and blatantly obvious white girl in the department". OK, whatever, I needed the job, and I excelled in it!!

Some jobs simply need people to be able to do certain things. Other reasons, is that most companies simply don't have the resources or the experience to train people with certain special needs, whether you're talking about sightless, deafness, or people in wheelchairs. It's very sad, but, that's the cost of business.

Most companies that hire people out (like temp agencies), and resource centers, will direct people that have different needs, to specialized areas, not to placate you, but to offer you more obtainable jobs. The more specialized jobs, the more chances are that you will be hired, and have a higher degree of comfort, since, being directed there, they will know how to deal with certain issues that may arise, whether it's a physical issue or even language barrier.

I am sorry you're feeling the way you are. I can NOT say I know how you feel, since I too, am not one with disabilities (well, some people down here would consider me being a "Yankee" one LMAO!!), seriously though, try not to let it get down. It may seem like they're trying to coddle you, but, I think, in all honesty, the people that are trying to help you are trying to help guide you to a job that will be a long-lasting fit for you.

Best wishes!!

• Members

Let me put in my 2 cents worth here.

I do not have any disabilities, but my uncle whome I take care of does.

I have a killer resume, and an outstanding cover letter.

lots and lots of people skills, tons of computer experiance, windows, excel, power point, word processing skills, spread sheets, you name it, I can do it on a computer.

I have a hard time finding work.

No one wants to hire the big girl.

I hear a lot of " sorry, but your appearances are not customer appreciative"

or " we will keep your application on file for 90 days, if something comes up, well give you a call"

Even though they know adn I know I am qualified for the job.

Like Mikayla said, life really is like that.

But, I refuse to give up, I know somewhere out there, that an employer is going to look beyond what is on the outside and give me a chance to prove myself.

My uncle on the other hand, is completely paralyzed on the right side of his body.

He has not found a paying job, but instead does volunteer work at the local animal shelter.

It gives him something to do with his time, he enjoys working withthe anmals, and when the time comes for me to write his resume, he will have lots of solid work history.

Perhaps that is something that you can do as well?

find an organization that you believe in, somewhere that you can volunteer your time.

Do you have excellent orginazation skills? perhaps you could help put together a fund raiser for your favorite charity? Do you have good people skills? maybe you could volunteer to answer the phones or be a PR person for a orginazation?

As far as cover letters go, tehre are several styles to choose from, most of them are available through Microsoft.

Find one you like, and customize it to fit your needs and wants.

If you would like some help with it, I would be more than happy to offer my services.

As far as being handicapped or disabled...

My family's motto is " no one is handicapped, they are handicapable"

• Members

I was once turned down for a job because I was dressed too nice. We're not talking suit and tie here just a pair of slacks and sweater. My landlord at the time had a friend there who told him that I was denied because of my clothing. I took my normal hard-headed stand on that and started bothering them every morning for 2 weeks. And I did get the job. Figure out which job you want and pull out all the stops to show them that you will not be denied!

My family's motto is " no one is handicapped, they are handicapable"

This is an awesome motto!!!

• Members

Anyone who is refused for a job and told they don't 'look right' or it's because they have a handicap...can probably live for the rest of their life on what they'll get from suing the pants off of whomever says that since it's very, very illegal to cite that as a reason for not hiring someone.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time with getting a job, I know it can be a pain blind or not. It does suck that you have to be lumped in with a 'disabled' category... but maybe you can turn that around and use it in your favour? So instead of it being something you're annoyed and embarassed by, it can be something you use to your advantage?

• Members

sailor...

i am new to the board, so i do not know the severity of your "disability" . i have been working with special needs kids for 5 years, and it still amazes me what they can do!!

my adviese, use your "disablity" to your advantage. there are schools for the blind, you can always apply there. there are also programs like the A.R.C or adult day care centers that would hire you. with these types of jobs you would be working with ppl with disabilities as well. and being that you are blind, you have a knowledge that most ppl wouldent.

just a thought for you.

• Members

That's a great idea! You should become a certified teacher and help out blind kids, that would be awesome.