Official Community Forums Home

Stoopid Cow!

whiskeywoman

• Members

As many of you know, I run a small ranch out here.

Well earlier I was leaving to go take my truck into the shop to get some routine maintance done on it.

I look out the window and lo and behold there is my cow, munching on some grass next to the railroad tracks.

So I spent the next 2 hours trying to herd her back into the yard without any sucess.

It was like 2 steps foward, 5 steps back.

Finally when I left, she was once again munching on grass next to the tracks.

I came home a little over an hour later, lo and behold there is my cow, waiting patiently for me to throw her some hay.

So I fed the animals some more hay, tossed in some alfalfa pellets in a dish in the chicken coop, and added in about a half a bale of hay in there as well.

About 20 minutes ago, I looked out and saw her go into the coop for her hay and her pellets.

So I ran out and closed her in the chicken coop, minus the chickens.

I called a friend of mine who wants to buy her, he will come by later and pick her up.

I checked the fence, theres a lot of yellow paint and rubber markings on a section of fence.

I suspect that someone was riding an ATV and ran into the fence, knocking a section of it over.

So, thankfully she is contained and the buyer is coming over to get her.

Now all I have to do is fix that section of fence, before the other animals get out..

I am just so mad at the ATV rider... nice of them to offer to help fix it, or at least fess up to it...

/rant off

• Members

Aw, sorry you had a dickens of a time collecting your cow! If it is what happened, I'm also sorry some inconsiderate schmuck wrecked your fence. I hope it's a fairly easy and inexpensive fix (both monetary and time-wise) & none of your other critters find the opening til it's fixed!

• Members

Sorry you had such a difficult day...I grew up on a farm in IL and remember when the cows used to get out...what a pain. Is there any way to find out what happened? Do you live in a small enough area you could ask around? I would make the culprit pay for fixing the fence, the little shit.

• Members

I've chased those stupid cows around the countryside, and it's not fun. It seems to me that if you can find the culprit who ran through your fence, he should be legally responsible to fix it...

• Members

Hello Whiskeywoman Well this time I can feel for you. We spent a couple of years chasing cattle because all we could afford was a three wire electric fence and either the cattle had no respect for it or like you ATV riders or deer would knock it down. We are always having trouble with people trespassing and the part that burns my butt is when you confront them they don't even care until you call the sheriff. We took care of the problem a couple of years ago when I invested in an put in a six wire high tensil electric fence with a high voltage fencer. Believe me the cattle totally respect this fence and god fobid if an ATV rider hits it, I'm sure I would find them laying out in the field twitching. I know that would be over kill for your one cow but it sure helped us out and besides Di and I would rather spend any free time we have having good sex, not chasing cattle. :D

Good luck on the homestead

James &Di

P.S. Sorry to here about your kids being involved in that bus accident. Hope their doing okay.

• Members

The ATVers deserve the IDIOT tag more than the cow. She's just doing what comes natural to her. I know they are a PITA when they are out but it's not really her fault. Luckily she's not a Bull chasing fresh meat! They're even worse!

• Members

Wel, the buyer came by last night around 5 ish and tried not he word TRIED to load her into his trailor.

Nope, she wasn't having ANY part of that nonsense.

So, we finally backed the trailor about 1 foot away from the door of the coop, and opened the doors so there was no way she could escape.

I warned them that she thought she was a goat, and she would jump and kick like one too if she was backed into a corner or got too excited.

Those people just laughed at me, until one of em mised getting his skull crushed by about 3 inches.

All of a sudden, they stopped laughing.

After an hour of coercing, and begging and tempting her with hay and pellets, they finally put a tow rope around her neck and drug her into the trailor.

I found the missing section of fence, I have filed a report with the police, I sent them copies of my digital pics.

I have also taken it upon myself to call the local repair shops around town that deal with repairing ATVs.

I told them that if a yellow vehicle comes in, to call the police.

I know it is the police's job to call them and let them know, but I have found in this very small town, it is best to do some of the legwork yourself.

All in all, I think it was probably for the best in the long run.

I have no intentions of eating an animal I have petted and made friends with.

Her new owner has about 20 acres of land where she can roam free and graze to her hearts content.

And once he comes and gets the ram, she will be even happier having one of her buddies around.

I will be happier once he comes and getts the ram, then I can go in the pen if need be and do work without having to worry about getting nailed by him.

Di's guy... yes the girls are just fine.

Their regular bus driver was back to work today, they were so happy to see her that they hugged her as soon as they got on the bus.

Pappy... if it were a bull, I would have said " screw that noise" and just left him be.

I may be crazy, but I aint stupid! LOL

• Members

If I were closer to you I'd offer help in fixing your fence but being a few states away I doubt you'll let it go that long! And sometimes you just have to let the cow know who the boss is! Bulls are stubborn but they can be corraled, sometimes. Depends on how many cows are in heat! I've had to chase them for miles with my former boss! WATER GAPS!!!!

• Members
I warned them that she thought she was a goat, and she would jump and kick like one too if she was backed into a corner or got too excited.

I'm glad things worked out okay, in the end, though it sounds like you had a frustrating day. This part that I quoted made me laugh out loud! I was thinking, as I was reading your post, "this cow sounds like one of my goats!" I don't have goats anymore, but growing up, we had goats and they LOVED to make a game of getting out of their pasture :rolleyes: . They weren't interested in going anywhere other than the other side of their fence, they just loved the fun of getting out. Silly goats.

• Members

Pappy, no your right, I won't let it go that long.

I have already been down to the ranching store, I bought some posts, some bailing wire, some barbed wire and some small links.

I also bought some of those el cheapo 5 gallon buckets and some cement.

You can pretty much figure out how I plan on repairing it.

Yeah the cement and the 6 foot tall posts are probably overkill, but I really don't want the rest of my livestock to get out.

And I want to give the other ATV riders in the area something to think about the next time that they go out riding and decide to plow into my fence.

Cherie,

Yeah she was raised around goats her entire life, so she had an identity crisis and thought she was one of them.

My goats are pretty docile actually, They let me put them on a leash and walk them around like a dog.

You shoud have seen the looks I got when I took them into the vets office last week LOL

One lady looked at me and said "Is that a GOAT?!"

I just stared at her and said "No it is a pygmy horse that's a throw back from a unicorn"

I wanted so badly to say "Here's your sign"

• Members
Pappy, no your right, I won't let it go that long.

I have already been down to the ranching store, I bought some posts, some bailing wire, some barbed wire and some small links.

I also bought some of those el cheapo 5 gallon buckets and some cement.

You can pretty much figure out how I plan on repairing it.

Yeah the cement and the 6 foot tall posts are probably overkill, but I really don't want the rest of my livestock to get out.

And I want to give the other ATV riders in the area something to think about the next time that they go out riding and decide to plow into my fence.

I wanted so badly to say "Here's your sign"

Not even close to overkill when it comes to protecting what is yours! I wish I were closer to you so I could help you set that one up. I'd love to see the idiot that runs through your fence next time!

• 5 months later...
  • Members
Not even close to overkill when it comes to protecting what is yours! I wish I were closer to you so I could help you set that one up. I'd love to see the idiot that runs through your fence next time!
Six foot posts sunk in concrete is good...now spice it up with some good old fashioned RAZOR WIRE. Also sometimes called CONCERTINA WIRE. On a scale of 1 to 10 and barbwire is a 3 or 4 razor wire is more like a 10 or 12. Say you wanna really scare the crap out of some puke and you have a 22 rifle and a 12G pump. A 12G gets their attention RIGHT NOW!!! RW is not cheap and you'll want to be VERY CAREFULL stringing it. The next dumbass who plows into your fence will no doubt gain a new found respect for ranching,farming or just plain property rights.