Official Community Forums Home

Really Gardasil Is Helpful?

Beavis

• Members

Washington, D.C. - The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC) is calling on the CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) to just say "no" on June 29 to recommending "universal use" of Merck's Gardasil vaccine in all pre-adolescent girls. NVIC maintains that Merck's clinical trials did not prove the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine designed to prevent cervical cancer and genital warts is safe to give to young girls.

"Merck and the FDA have not been completely honest with the people about the pre-licensure clinical trials," said NVIC president Barbara Loe Fisher. "Merck's pre and post-licensure marketing strategy has positioned mass use of this vaccine by pre-teens as a morality play in order to avoid talking about the flawed science they used to get it licensed. This is not just about teenagers having sex, it is also about whether Gardasil has been proven safe and effective for little girls."

The FDA allowed Merck to use a potentially reactive aluminum containing placebo as a control for most trial participants, rather than a non-reactive saline solution placebo. A reactive placebo can artificially increase the appearance of safety of an experimental drug or vaccine in a clinical trial. Gardasil contains 225 mcg of aluminum and, although aluminum adjuvants have been used in vaccines for decades, they were never tested for safety in clinical trials. Merck and the FDA did not disclose how much aluminum was in the placebo.

Animal and human studies have shown that aluminum can cause nerve cell death and that vaccine aluminum adjuvants can allow aluminum to enter the brain, as well as cause inflammation at the injection site leading to chronic joint and muscle pain and fatigue. Nearly 90 percent of Gardasil recipients and 85 percent of aluminum placebo recipients followed-up for safety reported one or more adverse events within 15 days of vaccination, particularly at the injection site. Pain and swelling at injection site occurred in approximately 83 percent of Gardasil and 73 percent of aluminum placebo recipients. About 60 percent of those who got Gardasil or the aluminum placebo had systemic adverse events including headache, fever, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, myalgia. Gardasil recipients had more serious adverse events such as headache, gastroenteritis, appendicitis, pelvic inflammatory disease, asthma, bronchospasm and arthritis.

"Merck and the FDA do not reveal in public documents exactly how many 9 to 15 year old girls were in the clinical trials, how many of them received hepatitis B vaccine and Gardasil simultaneously, and how many of them had serious adverse events after being injected with Gardasil or the aluminum placebo. For example, if there were less than 1,000 little girls actually injected with three doses of Gardasil, it is important to know how many had serious adverse events and how long they were followed for chronic health problems, such as juvenile arthritis."

According to the Merck product manufacturer insert, there was 1 case of juvenile arthritis, 2 cases of rheumatoid arthritis, 5 cases of arthritis, and 1 case of reactive arthritis out of 11,813 Gardasil recipients plus 1 case of lupus and 2 cases of arthritis out of 9,701 participants primarily receiving an aluminum containing placebo. Clinical trial investigators dismissed most of the 102 Gardasil and placebo associated serious adverse events, including 17 deaths, that occurred in the clinical trials as unrelated.

"There is too little long term safety and efficacy data, especially in young girls, and too little labeling information on contraindications for the CDC to recommend Gardasil for universal use, which is a signal for states to mandate it," said Fisher. "Nobody at Merck, the CDC or FDA know if the injection of Gardasil into all pre-teen girls - especially simultaneously with hepatitis B vaccine - will make some of them more likely to develop arthritis or other inflammatory autoimmune and brain disorders as teenagers and adults. With cervical cancer causing about one percent of all cancer deaths in American women due to routine pap screening, it was inappropriate for the FDA to fast track Gardasil. It is way too early to direct all young girls to get three doses of a vaccine that has not been proven safe or effective in their age group."

The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC), founded in 1982 by parents of vaccine injured children, has been a leading critic of one-size-fits-all mass vaccination policies and the lack of basic science research into biological mechanisms and high risk factors for vaccine-induced brain and immune system dysfunction. As a member of the FDA Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC), Barbara Loe Fisher urged trials include adequate safety data on pre-adolescent children and warned against fast tracking Gardasil at the November 28-29, 2001 VRBPAC meeting .

• Members

My best friend did the gardasil shots last year [she was 19] and her mom suggested it for many reasons. My friend is NORMALLY very timid, quiet, polite, sweet...nothing nasty/swear related ever emerges from her body. Well, shortly after getting either her first/second dose of the gardasil she started having ...some weird behavior. Her and her SO went to the movies that night to get out. By the time they reached the ticket gate, she started swearing at the workers and shoving them out of her way. She was delirious. She was walking into the wrong theatres thinking she was going into the right one. Her boyfriend finally got her to sit down into the right one. Not even a few seconds into the PREVIEWS did she start falling asleep and mumbling angry words. Her boyfriend and some people in the aisle had to wake her up and convince her the movie was over because of her bizarre behavior and actions. They left the theater with her still swearing and acting completely out of character. She then was immediately hospitalized because she had such a bad reaction to the vaccine.

For a quiet and very sweet girl to turn into such a polar opposite from a bad reaction really does prove some of these meds really aren't as same as they seem let alone since they haven't been even out LONG enough to say it's safe. After what happened to my friend, I refuse to take it.

• Members

I never take any meds unless absolutely necessary, because you can have life threatening effects from any thing even aspirin. I believe it's worth the risk, it eliminates the risk of a life threatening disease. I believe in it so much I insisted both my girls take it, without any ill effects. Just because one person has an ill effects from this doesn't mean you will. Are you willing to put your life at risk???? Think about it......before it's to late.

Pinky your in OBGYN what are your thoughts???????

• Members

When my son was 5, he recieve the first of 3 hepatitus B vaccines.

He had a very bad reaction to it.

Come to find out, he was allergic to the suspension formula.

Since then it has changed, and I won't risk my girls health by not getting them vaccinated becuse of 1 incident.

Some studies say that vaccines have been linked to Autisim.

I have family members who refuse to vaccinate their children because of a small risk.

So their children have had whooping cough and mumps.

Heaven forbid anything happens and they get tetnus.

The thing about Gaurdasil or ANY vaccine.. there is no garuntee that there will be no adverse reaction..

Because every person is differant, there is always going to be some adverse reaction to something.

It all breaks down to the individual parent's comfort level.

I for one, will not have my children vaccinated with Gaurdasil.

It only protects against a certain number of strains of HPV, and there is no gauruntee that it will protect them from geting cervial cancer.

I do know of one way to prevent them from getting HPV, and I plan on teaching them about abstinence and condoms.

I know this probably sounds a bit oxymoronish, I really don't want my girls to be off runing around an sleeping with anything that has a penis,

but, If push comes to shove, I want them to use some common sense and use a condom.

And I am sure this will not be the first or only time any drug company has ever with held info on a vaccine or medicine.

the FDA is only as good as the information it has been given.

I never take any meds unless absolutely necessary, because you can have life threatening effects from any thing even aspirin. I believe it's worth the risk, it eliminates the risk of a life threatening disease. I believe in it so much I insisted both my girls take it, without any ill effects. Just because one person has an ill effects from this doesn't mean you will. Are you willing to put your life at risk???? Think about it......before it's to late.

Pinky your in OBGYN what are your thoughts???????

I'm still up in the air as to whether or not my daughter will recieve this vaccine. I wanted to point out that Gardasil does NOT eliminate the risk at all. It "helps prevent" some strains, but, even in the advertisements they clearly state that it does NOT eliminate all of the risks for cervical cancer, nor does it prevent against getting HPV at all. Since there are MANY strains of HPV, and the shot only guards against around 3, I believe.

I still believe that the best sort of preventative medicine is the kind that you get from home and your doctor: education!

• Members

Just to clear this up, my reason for not doing the gardasil shots is not SOLELY based upon my friend's horrible reaction. I am very aware that one person's reactions will greatly differ from another's. There are many other reasons why not.

• Members

OKay I posted a really indepth article on HPV and i mentioned the vaccine but I don't know too much about it. However I do know that when all kinds of vaccines come out people fight them, all of your basic and required childhood vaccines were much debated at one time. So let's not condem Garasil just yet.

That being said, I will stress this: The ONLY to prevent the tranmission of HPV, and yes it really is the ONLY WAY is abstence. HPV is spread through skin to skin contact, so while yes condoms help, but skin contact is still being made. (who doesn't love a good ball slap during sex?) The gardasil Vaccine only protects agains 4 types of HPV, 2 that cause cancer and 2 that cause worts. NO worts are NOT a type of herpe (yes i laughed at mom when she tried telling me that). This won't help with pre-exsisting cases (like myself) however the odds of you having all 4 are pretty slim so it is a good idea to STILL get the vaccine. I personally already have HPV and for me the benefits out weigh the risks, I know quite a few women (ranging from 17-28) who have had the vaccine and have had NO side effects beside a bruise at the injection site and some swelling.

I recommend you check out the article here. I have a few links in there for you to get more information.

• Members

My daughter, who just turned 18, asked me if she could get the shots. She understands the risks. She currently is not sexually active, and has no plans to be. I immunized my children for other illnesses, and she is getting these shots at her request.

I could get on my soapbox, but that would be a really bad idea right now...

Guest eminatic

many deaths have been linked to guardasil. i was strongly against the idea of making the shot mandatory. i once had a checkup and the doctor said she was "prescribing" me guardasil then and there, and that i HAD to get it! :angry: what a bunch of BS! and its the most expensive shot ever recorded to date!

i also pitched a fit because of the lack of data but my mom insisted that me and my sister get it :(

many deaths have been linked to guardasil. i was strongly against the idea of making the shot mandatory. i once had a checkup and the doctor said she was "prescribing" me guardasil then and there, and that i HAD to get it! :angry: what a bunch of BS! and its the most expensive shot ever recorded to date!

i also pitched a fit because of the lack of data but my mom insisted that me and my sister get it :(

Em, in MANY states, a child over the age of 12 or 13 have a say in what sorts of medications they can and will take. You can refuse to take certain medications, except those mandated by law, whether or not your mother wants you to have it or not, even if you're under the age of 18. Most kids don't know this, but, in cases such as this, you should be aware. Even underage, you are STILL in control of your own body.

• Members

I am also up in the air about this. For one thing, I don't think it should be MANDATORY by law, however, all of the other vaccines are, and yes, there is a risk with them, however, the actual illness is (the majority of the time ) much worse then the reaction. There are diseases that were thought to be eliminated (polio) but because of people not immunizing their children, has returned.

When it comes to this one in particular, I personally would leave it up to my daughter when she gets older, however, she probably won't get it, because her daddy is VERY against putting foreign substances into your body. As a nurse, I'm all for the drugs...lol. Anyway, I think it should be a matter of personal choice and not a government mandated thing. There's my 2 cents for what it's worth. TTE1L, TNT

• Members

OKay that's it! I've sat here long enough reading closed minded posts that weren't actually backed up by any REAL information. Offical as of a report last October there were 11 deaths connected to Gardasil. However in the UK alone over 1.5 MILLION< yes million, women have been vaccinated. That's your MANY deaths, 11. I have found several eurpeon web sites that charge the numbe is closer to 20. However, they cann't all be actually linked to the vaccine, people just assume.

I also cannot find any credible or even confirming wbesites that explain that Gardasil is proving all these side effects, there have been no links to studies that support there claims, there have been no research to back up these claims. Just other people supposedly finding these documents but not sharing them with the rest of the world.

Also I would like to point out that many MANY drugs that people use now everything from blood pressure medicine to medication for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) list death as one of their rare but serious side effects. A ever similar debate as this one went around for ever major and minor vaccine availble to us. Everyone one. change is scary and medical change can have serious side effects. Fine I get that. I understand that it is a personal choice to get the shots or not, but at least be informed about your decision and in stead of "many deaths" look up the actual number between 11-20. out of the 3 million doses in the us and 1.5 million doses in the UK only 11-20 deaths. Sorry but mom's blood pressure medicine has a worse track record.

Also I think a lot of people seem to misunderstand the disease that we're actually talking about. Yes, Gardasil prevents cancer by vaccinating against the 2 strains of HPV that cause teh most cases of cancer, as well as the 2 strains that cause the most cases of Worts. I honestly think people need to take a step back, breath, do their research and then make an INFORMED desicion. Start by reading the article I wrote about HPV, forget understanding teh vaccine if you don't understand teh disease.

You're right SuzyP. I think as parents, we get all kinds of worried when we hear about side-effects that may happen to our kids. It's scary, since our babies are soooooo important to us, and we'd give our lives to protect them. Any chance is scary, IMO.

It's true, you have to understand what you're protecting yourself from, to understand the vaccine. You also have to try and educate yourself into realizing that it's a generic coverage for most vaccines. It won't guarantee protection against different strains of the same virus, no matter which vaccine you're talking about.

When they're testing for drugs, they have to disclose any and all of the side-effects that may or may not have been contributed to the vaccine. Even if that person got a cold, flu, or had a heart attack within a certain amount of time after given the shot/medication.

Guest eminatic
Anyway, I think it should be a matter of personal choice and not a government mandated thing.

agreed.

ok not sure why my post was singled out as im definitely not the only one who is against this shot being mandated. and 11-20 deaths IS high for something they are trying to make mandatory, they recall products for far less deaths than that. there are many more who do not actually die but have very serious side effect. too many to have this shot be mandatory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnTvAneWBZs

• Members

I can't say I know anything about this since my kids are old enough to make an informed choice about this. But as in every company who releases a new product they should be watched through their testing phases. If you can take Microsoft for example I think you'll agree that only an idiot would buy one of these new OSs as soon as they are released. There are too many unknowns! Hooray for all who have held out and decided that your body is exactly that!!!!!!!!!

• Members
agreed.

ok not sure why my post was singled out as im definitely not the only one who is against this shot being mandated. and 11-20 deaths IS high for something they are trying to make mandatory, they recall products for far less deaths than that. there are many more who do not actually die but have very serious side effect. too many to have this shot be mandatory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnTvAneWBZs

There are far more deaths from cervical cancer than the 11-20 deaths being blamed on the vaccine. Perhaps it is not time to make the vaccine mandatory yet, but the thought of saving girls and women from cancer seems pretty important to me.

• Members
I'm still up in the air as to whether or not my daughter will recieve this vaccine. I wanted to point out that Gardasil does NOT eliminate the risk at all. It "helps prevent" some strains, but, even in the advertisements they clearly state that it does NOT eliminate all of the risks for cervical cancer, nor does it prevent against getting HPV at all. Since there are MANY strains of HPV, and the shot only guards against around 3, I believe.

I still believe that the best sort of preventative medicine is the kind that you get from home and your doctor: education!

YES, you are correct on both counts, it eliminates some not all strands of the deadly viruses, and education along with your doctors recommendation is best.

I do think every female should seriously consider taking this precaution!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Thank you SuzyP.

You've got a far greater risk of dying from cancer caused by HPV than you do from dying from the vaccine. If you're going to be exposing yourself and be at potential risk, the benefits of this vaccine FAR outweigh the risks. I'm going to be asking about pricing during my appointment on Friday. Did you know it also prevents a large number of genital warts cases?? I desperately want this vaccine, I think it's a GREAT idea and a great way to help keep yourself protected. Somewhere between 60% and 80% of all sexually active individuals in North America carry some form of HPV... scary.

Guest eminatic
There are far more deaths from cervical cancer than the 11-20 deaths being blamed on the vaccine.

yes and that also includes cervical cancer from other causes besides HPV. i'm not saying the shot should be pulled from the market, im just saying they shouldn't have the right to FORCE people to take it. if the benefits outweigh the risks to you then that is your opinion and i think everyone should have the right to decide for themselves what goes into their bodies.

• Members

Oh I completely agree with that eminatic.

... But even if we're only looking at cervical cancer caused by HPV, the numbers are frightening. Especially versus 11 deaths, I believe not all of which are confirmed to be directly linked to the vaccine.

• Members

11 of the deaths were related, but that could have simply been an allergic reaction to something in the shot. The other 9 are believed to be related, but it cannot be proven. I personally think that with 4.5 million vaccinations given and only (we'll shoot high) 20 deaths is actually very small, terrible for the families invovled but statistically very small. Also from all my readings and research the case of serious adverse reactions (including death) is number at 7% which is less than half the number of case of the currently required childhood vaccines. personally I know i ended up getting some of my vaccines twice because my medical records got lost whne the air base up here got closed. I survived a second round too.

Em, i'm gonna be honest, i singled you out because you had no information to support your claims of "many deaths". My point is none of us, myself included, can talk down about something that we don't actually know about. I am a HUGE supporter of this vaccine because, while it won't prevent every possible way of getting cervical cancer, any step towards preventing it is a good step. We live ina society where everything will eventually kills if it isn't cell phones, it's the fake sugar we use. I don't want sex to kill me, even if I am in a monogomous relationship and I use condoms since there is no test for men, i have to hope and pray. That's all you can do with HPV, so why not take the extra step towards being in a safe relationship?

Guest eminatic

well 11-20 IS many deaths for something to be mandatory. FYI the government called for a complete BAN on the drug RU486 after 11 deaths with chances of 1 in 100,000 fatalities. also i did provide a link with more info which i guess went unnoticed.

i understand that they want to get girls vaccinated young because the shot is ineffective if the girl has already been exposed to HPV but this should be an individual's choice to make, not the government's.

• Members

Since this vaccination came out, I have refused to allow my daughter to get it. Although cervical cancer does run in my family pretty high along with many other types of cancer. In my opinion this vac. is still experimental. There have been numerous issues and report, documented side effects of this vac. since it was first administrated.

Just wanted to let you all know also that if this does become a manatory vac. for all girls, there is a form that called the exeption form that once is becomes mandatory you can fill this out and your daughter will not be forced to get this vac. I myself who have worked in the health care profession, RN to be more accurate, refuse to have my daughter vaccinated with this. There are many things that can be done if she develops cervical cancer. I had cervical cancer many years ago, after the birth of my son.

My pap came back with adnormal cells, the did a biospy, and I went in for laser surgery on that area. Although it wasn't very pain full really at all no worse then mild labor pains. In my opion until this vac is studied further my daughter will not be recieving it, I think that the side effects of this is worse, then the side effects of the treatment of cancer at this point.

Just my opinion!

• Members
well 11-20 IS many deaths for something to be mandatory. FYI the government called for a complete BAN on the drug RU486 after 11 deaths with chances of 1 in 100,000 fatalities. also i did provide a link with more info which i guess went unnoticed.

i understand that they want to get girls vaccinated young because the shot is ineffective if the girl has already been exposed to HPV but this should be an individual's choice to make, not the government's.

Well first of all, they are wrong about the fact that it is live virus they are injecting you with. No vaccine is live, that would be GIVING you the virus, they are dead REMINANTS. That's it. They keep going back to this being a "live and mutated virus" it's not and the fact that this is the basis it seems to be for their arguements I cannot find it to be credible. Second of all, and so far over half through they haven't actually present any facts, besides one case. that's it. Next of all they do not use mercury in the vaccine, they use aluminim. HPV is not a "cancer virus", no one NO ONE says that it is. Merck never claimed that it will CURE cancer or prevent it entirely. The idea is to help reduce the chances of you getting the leading strains of HPV that CAN cause cancer.

BY the way 11 verified deaths out of 4.5 million vacines given is 1 in ever 409,090.9 shots. WAY Better than RU486.

my sole point is this: if you want to get it fine, if you don't fine. Don't jump on the media ban wagon and not get it because some ignorant moron with a camera and a microphone tells you not to. DO the reasearch yourself, find websites that have actual stats from REPUTITBLE sources to fuel your desicion. Not again, now right wing wack job dick jockey.

The "scary news"

First up: no proof just claims

second up: still no way to follow up

I ask you prove me wrong, find me a site that has ACTUAL information and is backed up by research and references, don't give me youtubes of talk shows unless they are actually going to give intelligent information.

Also for the last time please do your research on HPV, start with teh article that I wrote on it get the facts and the information on the disease in question. BEcause I will tell you this I wanted to reach through the moitor and slap the woman who said that she feels bad for the people who get cervical cancer,e specially the innocent ones who's spouses cheat on them. She clearly, clearly has no idea what she's talking about. HPV isn't something that could be tested for in men so wunless he has worts, (which could be on of several, roughly 40-50 strains that cannot cause cancer) you will never know he has HPV, also women can carry it without it showing on a pap. Condoms will not save you, help yes, but not prevent. Also roughly 80% of americans will have HOV at one time or another with roughly 6 million americans carrying the virus right now.

DO your research. Then tell me that this vaccine is bad and you'd rather take your chances with cancer.

Kat, you've had it so I can't really argue with you, in my opinion you've made an informed desicion. MWAH!

Guest eminatic

first of all i am not jumping on any bandwagon; i have been against the idea of taking away a person's right to be able to CHOOSE what goes into their body from the beginning.

i will state again that i am not opposed to the shot itself, or saying that it is "bad" -i have had all 3 shots myself and only had mild reactions- i am merely trying to point out that now is not the time to be pushing for the damned thing to be mandated because we dont know all the data, there is no long term data of the possible effects.

i've never understood this double standard with the cancer reference. when opposing the shot its not ok to equate cancer with the shot or hpv, yet when supporting it, its ok to say "if you dont get the shot you are taking your chances with cancer" or "the number of deaths is small compared to the number that die of cancer" :huh:

and it is possible that not all information is being revealed because it is almost taboo for a medical professional to dare speak badly of the shot. i knew a girl on another sex ed. forum that very nearly died from the shot- she had suspected all along that the shot was the underlying cause of her illness but despite asking many doctors they would either turn a blind eye or insist that something else was causing her illness because God forbid that anyone dare speak badly of the Almighty Guardasil. :rolleyes:

i think i'll have to stop participation of this thread now as im not looking to start a heated argument.