Official Community Forums Home

B-day Cakes Covered By Food Stamps!?

Tyger

I found out the other day that Food Stamps will cover the cost of a birthday cake at a bakery!

We're purchasing a cake for our daughter's b-day. Half a sheet, Hannah Montana (oh yippee), for $25. OK, so we have the money for that (and aren't on food stamps).

Our very own Froggystyle makes GORGEOUS cakes for her family and the kids, with regular cake mix and frosting. With the toys she puts on them, it MAY cost her about $10 for the cake, which she pays out of pocket. Not only does she do this to save some money, the kids LOVE her cakes & look forward to getting one from her. They LOVE 'autie's' cakes. They are specially made just for them, by a beloved family member. She's made a Barbie cake, train, racecar, hunting scene, WWE wrestling ring, a butterfly cake, and more.

If I was talented in the kitchen, I'd do this. I am cullinarily challenged, and would probable frost everything BUT the cake! If we HAD too, I would get some tips and tricks (help) from my friend over the phone.

Anyway, I don't think that food stamps should cover the cost of a birthday cake.They can even purchase donuts and kolaches at donut shops and many other shops... And we wonder why our economy is going down the drain...

People need to learn how to budget better, and make do with what they can. Including getting a bit more creative. Hey, instead of one person getting the child a gift, have them buy them a cake, using their own CASH instead! My Godmother did this for our daughter's first 3 yrs, to help out. She said that she'd sent $25 anyway, and if there was any $$ left over, get her a little toy or something.

You can get some GREAT ideas from books, magazines (and if you can't buy magazines, go look stuff up at the library), and the internet, on how to cut costs, make things, and still have a great party!

IMO, people are waaaaaaaaaaaaay too dependant on an already over-stressed system. (BTW I've been on food stamps, and Medicaide, and we got off it when we got back on our feet.)

This is just MY opinion. What do you think?

• Members

I agree 100% on this one, Tyger. People have gotten to darn lazy and complacent.

As a kid, I don't remember ever having a bakery cake. My mom or older sisters made my cakes, and I loved them.

There is also that sense of family connection and love in those memories that you spoke of.

More and more people are going to have to go back to the basics and do some creative thinking to make it.

I got this from my grandma when my kids where little, and I always remember it.

Use it up

Wear it out

Make it do

Or do without.

• Members

It depends on the store. Some stores around here would consider that "already made" food and would reject it on Food Stamps.

I don't think that should be accepted because of the fact that it's already made. But then again, it's probably covered under bakery - so I don't know.

I was never impressed with pre-made birthday cakes anyway. lol

It depends on the store. Some stores around here would consider that "already made" food and would reject it on Food Stamps.

I don't think that should be accepted because of the fact that it's already made. But then again, it's probably covered under bakery - so I don't know.

I was never impressed with pre-made birthday cakes anyway. lol

That's what I thought too, but, I got this information at the Wal*Mart bakery!! Now, temporarily, food stamp recipients were able to buy the hot, ready made food, right after Hurricake Ike, due to necessity, and I saw the point to that, since most of us didn't get our power back for weeks, how were we to store food, let alone cook it. So I understood that part, and it ended about 2 mos. after. But, yes, the cakes at the grocery store and Wal*Mart, can, indeed, be covered with Food Stamps. <_<

• Members

It's probably cover under the generic umbrella of "bakery".

Now i grew up on food stamps. But ya know what? it didn't go to our birthday cakes. (mainly cause we always had ice cream cakes, but still) She might have used them to buy our birthday dinner (birthday kid always chose their dinners) but that would be the end of that. I remember there always beinga freezer full of meat and bread after mom got her stamps but she'd save a few for emergencies.

I think they need to be way more limited, they are all on a debit card now (at least in NY) so they can really control what they get used for, i say nesscities only: meat, fresh fruits and veggies, milk, bread eggs, baby food. NO chips, no ice cream, no cakes, no cookies. I hate to say it but if your in a situtation where you need food stamps and public assistance then maybe you should look at things like chips and cakes and cut them out.

Oh, I forgot to mention that wedding cakes (which can be very expensive), can be ordered and paid for with the food stamp card as well. :o

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I recently found out by accident at checkout that 'pop' is covered by foodstamps too. I had always been under the impression that pop being a non food item was not eligible. Not so these days.

I had been using some of my cash to buy my diet Pepsi. Now I use my EBT (food stamps) card. Works just like any debit/charge card.

Since I don't get unemployment bennies the $200 I get per month in free food really helps. Easily 75-85% of my EBT card goes to staples NOT junk food. Sure I do get some chips...mostly huge bags of tortilla chips. Usually I get the 1.5 gallon tubs of cheap ice cream. Pour some Hersheys chocolate syrup I stockpiled when I had a job on it and life ain't half bad.

I buy very little in the way of 'convenience foods' since most are a gyp as far as I am concerned. I buy my favorite brand of bread when it's cheap and freeze it and keep the open loaf in icebox to keep it fresh for 3 weeks or more. I eat the ends too. Nothing much gets wasted food wise at my place.

It irritates me to no end that Costco won't take 'foodstamps'. Otherwise I could get my 10 pounds of onions ($4), 2 pounds muenster cheese ($6), spuds and 8 pound jug chocolate syrup ($6).

When I see a 'real deal' on canned goods or meat or any staple type item I stock up. I'm lucky in that in my town we have a Grocery Outlet store. I started shopping at GO more than 22 years ago when at that time I had to drive about 30 miles before they put a GO in my town. Though not all items you might want are always available it's still cheaper than walmart for your groceries.

Personally I wouldn't buy a grocery store bakery made cake whether with cash or foodstamps. Out of all the store bought cakes I've ever eaten only once or twice did I find one as tasty as homemade. Mostly the icing tastes like grease and the cake itself isn't any better.

• Members

I don't I agree with buying a made cake with food stamps. I think a cake mix can be made by anybody, and food stamps are for more nutritious foods. Not luxury items; it is my opinion a bakery cake is a luxury. Tyger, has the right idea, have some friends and family chip in if necessary.

I recently found out by accident at checkout that 'pop' is covered by foodstamps too. I had always been under the impression that pop being a non food item was not eligible. Not so these days.

I had been using some of my cash to buy my diet Pepsi. Now I use my EBT (food stamps) card. Works just like any debit/charge card.

Since I don't get unemployment bennies the $200 I get per month in free food really helps. Easily 75-85% of my EBT card goes to staples NOT junk food. Sure I do get some chips...mostly huge bags of tortilla chips. Usually I get the 1.5 gallon tubs of cheap ice cream. Pour some Hersheys chocolate syrup I stockpiled when I had a job on it and life ain't half bad.

I buy very little in the way of 'convenience foods' since most are a gyp as far as I am concerned. I buy my favorite brand of bread when it's cheap and freeze it and keep the open loaf in icebox to keep it fresh for 3 weeks or more. I eat the ends too. Nothing much gets wasted food wise at my place.

It irritates me to no end that Costco won't take 'foodstamps'. Otherwise I could get my 10 pounds of onions ($4), 2 pounds muenster cheese ($6), spuds and 8 pound jug chocolate syrup ($6).

When I see a 'real deal' on canned goods or meat or any staple type item I stock up. I'm lucky in that in my town we have a Grocery Outlet store. I started shopping at GO more than 22 years ago when at that time I had to drive about 30 miles before they put a GO in my town. Though not all items you might want are always available it's still cheaper than walmart for your groceries.

Personally I wouldn't buy a grocery store bakery made cake whether with cash or foodstamps. Out of all the store bought cakes I've ever eaten only once or twice did I find one as tasty as homemade. Mostly the icing tastes like grease and the cake itself isn't any better.

I think that this is ok. Although you do it as a treat, or buy bulk "generic" stuff, making your EBT bennies go farther. It's a smart way to get the occassional treat, and still have money left over for the things that you need.

What I find insane, is those people that get like one grocery cart FULL of junk, one cart full of the "good stuff", and then wonder, by the end of the month, why they don't have any food/money left.

Honesly, I think that, if you're on foodstamps, you should go to a class that teaches how to budget, look at amounts, and teaches you how to get more for the money you are allotted. That's just my opinion though, such as it is.

12, if you try the cakes with the whipped frosting, they're SOOOO much better than the creme frosted ones. Creme frosted ones do taste heavy & oily (IMO), but the whipped is soooooo good!! LOL

• Members
Personally I wouldn't buy a grocery store bakery made cake whether with cash or foodstamps.

Couldn't agree with you more!

• Members

I think that this is ok. Although you do it as a treat, or buy bulk "generic" stuff, making your EBT bennies go farther. It's a smart way to get the occassional treat, and still have money left over for the things that you need.

What I find insane, is those people that get like one grocery cart FULL of junk, one cart full of the "good stuff", and then wonder, by the end of the month, why they don't have any food/money left.

Honesly, I think that, if you're on foodstamps, you should go to a class that teaches how to budget, look at amounts, and teaches you how to get more for the money you are allotted. That's just my opinion though, such as it is.

I mostly agree. The biggest problem with government assistance is how to limit help to the lazy and undeserving without punishing those who use assistance the way it is intended to be used. Some people on food stamps work, but make so little they qualify for food stamps. It takes time to hold down a job and cook, make cakes, and raise kids, etc so I'm glad they are able to buy a cake or a treat now and then with the assistance.

Some people are on food stamps because they've been too inept at life to plan anything or manage a budget. There are people who are just too dumb to get along on their own. They can't be expected to suddenly become intelligent and responsible when they start getting government assistance. They pissed away their own lives and their own opportunities and they can be expected to piss away the help to. I don't know what to do about these people.

It's the people who are smart and ambitious and use their intelligence to play the system instead of getting a job that piss me off. Fortunately, I think they are a minority of recipients.

• Members
I mostly agree. The biggest problem with government assistance is how to limit help to the lazy and undeserving without punishing those who use assistance the way it is intended to be used. Some people on food stamps work, but make so little they qualify for food stamps. It takes time to hold down a job and cook, make cakes, and raise kids, etc so I'm glad they are able to buy a cake or a treat now and then with the assistance.

Some people are on food stamps because they've been too inept at life to plan anything or manage a budget. There are people who are just too dumb to get along on their own. They can't be expected to suddenly become intelligent and responsible when they start getting government assistance. They pissed away their own lives and their own opportunities and they can be expected to piss away the help to. I don't know what to do about these people.

It's the people who are smart and ambitious and use their intelligence to play the system instead of getting a job that piss me off. Fortunately, I think they are a minority of recipients.

Were these people smart enough to have babies they could not afford? Smart enough to apply for assistance? Smart enough to buy new cars with that money? I dont mind a treat, but there are better ways to do it than prepared foods. It doesn't bother me to help those who need it. They are the ones who will try and make that stretch! This is just a FREE RIDE!!!

• Members
Were these people smart enough to have babies they could not afford?

They had babies they can't afford because they aren't smart.

Smart enough to apply for assistance?

No, in a lot of cases they don't even know assistance is available until someone tells them and shows them how to apply.

Smart enough to buy new cars with that money?

Those would be the ones who are abusing the system and they are plenty smart.

I dont mind a treat, but there are better ways to do it than prepared foods.

Like what, crunchy peanut butter instead of smooth?

• Members
They had babies they can't afford because they aren't smart.

That is one reason.

No, in a lot of cases they don't even know assistance is available until someone tells them and shows them how to apply.

Those would be the ones who are abusing the system and they are plenty smart.

This is more about them knowing the system is overrun with people who really need the help. They just blend in to the fray!

Like what, crunchy peanut butter instead of smooth?

Stand in the grocery line behind some person or family who has 3-4 carts and most of what they have is JUNK! I've seen it far too often. Catch one of those conversations where they are selling their free ride at 1/2 face value, see if it doesn't restore your faith in people!

If a person can heat something to eat they can damned sure bake a cake.

• Members

I'm not a 100% sure, but aren't there thinks covered by food stamps and some foods you can't buy with them?; or is it anything goes....

• Members
I'm not a 100% sure, but aren't there thinks covered by food stamps and some foods you can't buy with them?; or is it anything goes....

It's pretty much anything goes really. Growing up when we had food stamps, you'd get them once a month and that would be the BIG shopping day. Buying tons of meat and bread for the freezer, boxes of cereal and canned goods like whoa. We'd plan out a few weeks worth of meals so that we could shop for them (burritos, nachos, spaghetti, lazagna, meat loaf, things like that) and the rest of the month mom only had to worry about things like milk and stuff like that.

The irony of this? My little sister just bought all the food for my neice's b-day with food stamps at Wal-Mart. Cake and Ice cream too. Sorry, but that's messed up big time.

• Members
So if someone wants to be able to purchase their son or daughter a fucking birthday cake and treat them on what is supposed to be their special day then I think you should mind your own business and maybe worry about your own life. Stop judging others who receive government assistance. They are not trash. They are simply trying to live and do the best they can for their families.

The problem with receiving anything from the government is that you are left open to be the subjects of conversations like these. If you accept money from taxpayers you also give them the right to comment on how the money is spent. Unless you're a big bank or AIG. In that case you can take taxpayer's money and tell the taxpayers to go fuck themselves.

Its sad that you all think that everyone on food stamps are stupid, using the system, and not responsible. Some are, I give you that but do you know how many people who recieve food stamps are none of the above??? I grew up on food stamps, my parents still get them, who by the way are taking care of 2 of their grandchildren, when they are at the age now where they should be enjoying their life together. My dad works incredibly hard and verbally abused daily on his job but yet he has done everything he possibly could to provide for our family and he doesn't receive the amount of pay he deserves. Also in the state of Ohio, you have to work off your food stamps, or at least back when I was little, you had to. Many of the receipients would not do so but my father always worked them off. He is a great man and works his ass off for minimum wage. My mother is also a great person, she worked just as hard inside the home. Neither of them are ignorant people or abusing the system. So if someone wants to be able to purchase their son or daughter a fucking birthday cake and treat them on what is supposed to be their special day then I think you should mind your own business and maybe worry about your own life. Stop judging others who receive government assistance. They are not trash. They are simply trying to live and do the best they can for their families.

That's not what I meant by this post, and I believe (though I can't remember), that in my first post, I did say that I have been on assistance before, and was totally honest about what I had, and what I didn't have, and didn't get that much, but I was happy with what I'd gotten. I know I'm not stupid or lazy. We just needed help. Especially after Hurricane Rita! Everyone needed help in one way or another. My case worker even TOLD me, on the downlow, that I would've gotten more assistance had I been a "minority". I'm in Texas.....WHITE is the minority!!! LOL

And, yes, as a TAXPAYER, I have the right to complain! LOL And, yes, even when we got assistance, I felt the SAME way!

We got off assistance as soon as we were back on our feet. I could've gotten 3 more months of benefits, but I was HONEST and told them we were fine. There are several people that are smart that are on assistance. If things get much worse here, we may hafta go back ON assistance. However, in a "poor county" such as we are, I've seen an ABUNDANCE of users, abusers, and "thieves" when it comes to the system. And, for those that say "oh, it's fair all around", that's bullsh*t. it's not. Again, had I said I was one of the "minorities", I would've gotten a higher benefit allowance. Or if I lied about the car I drove. Hell, when applying, they even consider your CELL PHONE & CABLE BILLS as part of your "expenses" now!!!

However, do you KNOW how much a bakery cake costs??? It's over $20!! That could be like 3 meals, if budgetted correctly! Plus, don't forget the probably ice cream and soda/chips that go with a birthday party. Again, you can always ask for help from a friend or family member. Instead of a gift, ask someone ELSE to buy the cake, AS their gift!!! Or, if you get a birthday money check, or cash, use THAT for a cake, as the sender's gift.

One of the things that, here in TX, food stamps don't cover, are the prepared meals, like those rotiseirre chickens, the hot stuff kinda thing you get in the deli. Other than that, it's pretty much whatever you can put in your grocery cart, food wise, is covered.

Yes, kids deserve a nice birthday, Christmas, and other holiday. However, times are getting tougher & tougher, and people NEED to be smarter with whatever benefits/monies that they recieve, whether it's work, assitance, or charity. My daughter can have a fantastic birthday with a homemade cake, or store-bought cake. But it's what WE can afford at the time, that makes the difference as to what she gets.

• Members
Everyone has the right to complain. That doesn't make it right. If we put as much energy into other more important things in life as we do complaining and putting down those less fortunate, imagine what this world could actually be like. A dream I know. <_<

I think the ones we are complaining about are people like (i'll say it) my little sister who refuses to go back to school (to get her ged) and is happy living in housing and surviving off the system. That is what we are talking about. Not the hard working people out there that need help. We know there is a difference.

• Members
My father is a taxpayer too but I guess he has a little bit of respect for others and doesn't judge people by their income, no matter where it comes from.

If your father is excepting assistance, he most likely isn't paying taxes. (this is not meant to be rude, just a observation)

• Members
Is that so??? Do you know anything about government assistance??? That is incredibly rude and very offensive. He MOST certainly does pay his taxes and has every damn year he has ever worked. You know it is possible to pay your taxes, be a good person but still only make minimum wage and yes you can receive assistance and still pay your taxes. I'm sorry but you apparently don't know anything about the rules and qualifications.

Brandy, you have a good dad. I am glad that you appreciate him.

I'm sure he knows how lucky he is to have you for a daughter.

If he doesn't, please tell him for me, ok? ((hug))

• Members

Brandy, people who work and still need help are not the problem. It's the ones who abuse the system, get paid on the side, and carry 3-4 carts to the counter with nothing but shit in them! They are also the ones who have a fat wad of bills in their pocket for the smokes, beer, etc.... REAL EASY TO SPOT! They live in apts. that would cost many of us $4-500mo. yet they pay $10mo. for rent! Their bills are also paid. They move in boy/girlfriends and have nicer cars than working people who neither get , nor seek, any assistance.

Your area may or may not be different. Maybe you haven't seen these people in action. I have and so have many of the rest of us. It is said often that those who are trying and still need help should get it! I have no problem with these people!

Pappy hit it right on the head again, per usual.

There is a way to educate people without jumping all over them. We LOVE passionate people here, but there's a respectful way to let people know how things are.

Many people do NOT realize, having never having to get assistance, that, yes, even though you get assistance, you STILL have the taxes taken out of your paychecks. BTW, ladylove DID say that she was just making an observation, NOT trying to be insulting. So, please, again, try to be respectful in your answers to people. If someone offends you by something they said, reread the response, checking for the common explanations or whatever, such as ladylove putting her comment in (), so that you know she wasn't trying to be rude. If it still bugs you, WAIT to post. I've had to do this several times. Otherwise, my responses may not be as articulate as I'd want them to be.

Again, I will say that I am not being hypocritical. I have recieved assistance. I've seen the abuse that many people do (lying) to get more benefits, then they get so pissed that they run out of $$ before the end of the month, because they buy tons of snack food (already prepared), and the like. Where I am, there seems to be more people that get more benefits and lie on how to get it. It's very frustrating. I felt this way when I was getting assistance too.

Most of us are pretty respectful when it comes to posting, even here in rants. Please don't try to take everything personally, because we really aren't attacking anyone here on the board. :)