Official Community Forums Home

Military Inequality

Smile4Me

• Members
HAHA! Suzy my plants rarely get the recommended water from me and are green most of the year. Mother Nature has been kind to the plants on the East side of the porch, but not so much on the West side. I used to prune, water and weed all the time but now I only bother with the weeds or grass taking nutrients away from the plants I want to shine!

LOL so Maybe I'm a little OCD about that then! lol it happens

Then again 1/2 my garden is sandy and salty from the road run-off so i have to fight against that! :)

• Members

Not sure what support services there are for the partners of deployed US Forces members, but in Canada with the Canadian Forces (CF) they have a really community based feel.

I know someone that has done 1 tour in Afghanistan and is thinking about going over for another. His GF had full access many services provided by the CF including counciling for the spouse as well as children. In fact, they have a great number of resources for children from books to movies to one on one time with a trained councilor.

Once overseas, the CF member and their spouse back home have video conference technology they can access (pre-booked and approved of course).

But in base towns, there is a civilian staff member that runs spouse support groups that get families together to do stuff. Be it a BBQ, time to get together and just talk or special events. Doesn't matter if the family has been thru a deployment or not. Because chances are they have been effected by a deployment at some point and can bring their experiences and share them, or they will be thru one soon. And just because their spouse is home, it doesn't mean that they still aren't stressed themselves. Many marriages/relationships change. It is hard for the deployed person to go from killing machine to home life just like that. That is why the CF has a new policy where members coming back from deployment get sent on a "vacation" before getting back home. The whole platoon or company goes and while there they get access to counciling services and courses on how to destress and signs of PTSD and what is there for them if they notice them.

But if you are being shut out because your husband hasn't been sent over, that is pretty shameful. They say the cost of these wars won't end once the fighting stops. It will cost millions if not BILLIONS to provide the support that families need.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Classic Ego.

I'm glad it's been such a long time ago I saw this type of "I'm better than you because my suffering is bigger than yours!"-type of mentality. Just be glad that your head is not stuck up your ass.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
LOL You guys are one big bunch of goofballs! :P

Since we got on the topic of gardening (Suzy!) I have a question for you possible green-weenies here! LOL I just planted some oriental lillies outside, any clue how much I should water them? I did a little bit of research on this, but was pretty inconclusive. The package that had the bulbs in it wasn't terribly helpful in regards to maintenance.

I also started some potted plants, a delphinium and some daisies, and they're just beginning to germinate. How long until I should expect some blooms? Anyone know?

Pull out your 'Yellow Pages' phone book and look up local nurseries in your town/ area and call them up.

• Members
LOL so Maybe I'm a little OCD about that then! lol it happens

Then again 1/2 my garden is sandy and salty from the road run-off so i have to fight against that! :)

Try raised beds for your garden and or flower beds. Granted I am no gardener but try something like this.

Find a good spot without grass and measure an area say 4 feet by 8 feet. You will want to call your local water/power/natural gas/phone utilities at least 2 business days in advance so they can do a 'utility locate survey'. The service is free and could save you thousands of dollars if you dig up and break phone lines or natural gas lines etc.

Break up the soil with a hoe or shovel to a depth of 12-18 inches. Line the perimeter with small boulders or rocks or concrete blocks. People used to use railroad ties or treated lumber but the creasoted wood could leech into the soil and poison your veges. Not cool.

Get some manure,compost and or black dirt (topsoil) to raise your grow bed. Your local nursery-farm co-op will know best how to do this.

Start your seeds in the house under a cheap grow bulb in an old aquarium/fish tank. Line the tank with aluminum foil to reflect the heat back onto your plant starts. Again talk to your local nursery people to get the specific info you need that I am not privy to.

Good luck.

Peace

12G