Official Community Forums Home

Tell Me About "the Talk"

• Review Team
Im thankful my mom was very open with my brother and I.She gave us the talk when I was 8

so when I got my period in the 5th grade i knew what to do and didnt dint freak out .

I started in 5th grade, my niece started in 5th grade and my step-daughter just started - you guess it, in the 5th grade. I remember long before the school did their sex-ed class, I had already started having a period and knew most of the stuff discussed. I admit, it explained the "whys" better than what I had heard before, but IMO parents and schools start too late. Kids learn things, they pick-up on things, and it is important they get it right early on.

• Members
I remember being about 6 or 7, my mom was ironing clothes, and I started asking questions. She explained it as the man and woman each carrying half a seed, I don't remember the doinking description but I think she went into it at least a little, the man's half seed goes into the woman, joins with her half, and that turns into a baby.

I asked, "do you have to get N-U-D-E ? " and she said "Yes." I was too embarrased to say "nude" so I spelled it out (must have been old enough to spell).

In my mind the only place in the house where you got nude was the bathroom, so for a long time I thought sex happened on the narrow, hard tile bathroom floor.

I learned a little more from my older sister (your dick gets hard from "thinking about sex" ), some from kids at school, some more more from sex-ed class in 7th grade, and a bit more from trashy novels.

When my son was 5 or 6 he started asking questions; I started with the half seed + half seed explaination. My daughters never really asked a lot of questions; maybe they picked up some of what I told the boy.

My wife does not seem comfortable talking to them about any of this, and seems to think they are too young. Either my wife or granny-in-law told my daughters that babies come out the belly-button; I had to correct that. My older daughter is a little chubby, and maybe it's just chubbiness, but my wife thinks she is getting boobs already (a little young, but still within the range of normal age). I told my wife she'd better tell daughter about periods so she doesn't freak out if she starts having them; she said she would and said she would, and finally said she did, but I don't think she ever did. A couple of months ago the kids were watching a commercial, and then asked, "Dad, what's a period." So I explained the basics of that to them. Then a few weeks ago my daughter came to me with a tampon (out of its plastic shell) and asked, "is this for the blood?" "Yes," I said, and she got mad and said, "Mommy lied. She said it was to make your skin soft." Apparently my son told her what it was for but she didn't believe him; I don't know how he learned and he either won't tell me or doesn't remember how he knows about such things.

I get mad that my wife isn't more open about this stuff, especially with the daughters. She's the woman, she knows more about woman workings than I do. But if she won't do it, I'll tell them what I can.

So far I have sort of put sex terms of "when a man and woman fall in love and GET MARRIED, and they do this thing to make a baby . . .;" somewhere along the way I figured I'd modify that to they don't have to get married first and don't have to do it only to make a baby. Haven't crossed that bridge yet.

You are so funny! You love that word "doinking"!!!

My Mom was like that, very reserved, conservative and nervous about all that stuff!

I refuse to be like that. I hope my girls will feel comfortable enough to come to me about anything!!

• Review Team
You are so funny! You love that word "doinking"!!!

My Mom was like that, very reserved, conservative and nervous about all that stuff!

I refuse to be like that. I hope my girls will feel comfortable enough to come to me about anything!!

Good for you Sunny! I hope to be like that with our girls, as well. I hope that they can talk to me as a friend and mother, which I know is a hard thing to accomplish. As for our son, lord only knows - he will pretty much speak his mind about anything, so I don't think he will have a difficult time talking to his dad, or me, but we'll see.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

well, my dad cut out an article from time magazine about teen pregnency (it showed a girl, very young, showing about 8 months) and pasted it on the fridge to remind me of the consequences of pre marital sex (thanks dad)

mom was more on the people have sex to pro create and you should be married kick.

i also grew up in a very crazy town, which made everything worse. but i moved away asap, just in the knick of time

• Members

I honestly don't remember actually having a talk and was pretty ignorant quite a ways through. I think the closest I ever came to an actual talk was around 12 years old after a health class. I came home and asked my mom what filatio was. I always had great and open communication with my parents anyway so if had a question, no matter how embarrassing, I was always able to ask.

Randy.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I bought this nova episode on how babies are made...I saw it over 10 years ago (it's from 1982 I think!) and thought it was amazing. I had intended on showing it to my kids because it's really well down, but then I watched it with fresh "parent eyes" vs "pre-parent eyes" and on further reflection have decided to wait...about 50 years. LOL. joking...but seriously...will wait a while to show it to them...at least 4-6 years...or more....

• Members

"The Talk" didn't happen until my younger brother was busted at school with a skin mag one of his friends stole from his much older brother. My dad was seriously old-school and stayed tight lipped about the subject He rented some lame educational film from Blockbuster and demanded we watch it. I don't recall the title but it was utterly laughable - some Barney-esque musical thing where everyone was singing about bodily functions. <_< My mother (the nurse) re-hashed it in a bizarre mishmash of medical terminology and biblical hellfire and brimstone.

What they didn't know was that I'd already read my mother's set of medical textbooks (the interesting gynocological bits at least!) and already knew the nitty gritty. I read at a very advanced level as a kid - I toted Steven King novels back in 5th grade. I understood the biology and mechanics of sex and that there was something mystical behind it. But what I never got (and really needed) was a grasp of how to interact with the opposite sex! I didn't get a real date until my junior year of college and didn't get first-hand carnal knowledge until a few months before I graduated. Ugh. I spent so many years utterly clueless not knowing how to communicate with women on a fundamental level.

I'm still no Don Juan, but if I ever become a father I'll not letting my parent's mistakes repeat themselves. Not having a meaningful "talk" is just cruel.

• Members

I never got the talk...just stern looks from Mom when she washed my sheets.

There is a very fine book that every parent should get and mix in with their kid's other story books, it is called:

'Where Did I Come From?' by Peter Mayle...and the sequel, for tweens: "What's Happening to Me?

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I had a very open relationship with my parents. I could ask anything and expect to get a reasonable answer. Sex was taught as an in-passing thing when appropriate. I remember one time after a "Health class" being confused as to what filatio was and asking my mother who answered me honestly. Another time I remember talking to my father and him mentioning that a man will always be able to do more with his fingers and tongue than anything else he might have. I was grossed out about that initially but experience is everything and I find he was correct as have my sexual partners.

Randy.

Unfortunately, I never got to have the talk with my parents. My mom should've been the one to tell me about it, but, instead, she relied on the school's sex ed programs to do the basics for me. Thankfully, I was a reasonable, responsible kid. However, it's amazing that I didn't experiment more as a kid. I was pretty dumb when it came to sex. I think it was more fear than anything, that prevented me from going out and doing more.

I had a lot of common sense even back then, and I'm finding that it's getting to be a rare thing for kids (and a lot of grown ups) to have that, so I'm going to be starting the talks with our daughter when she's 9 or 10.