Official Community Forums Home

Interracial Relationships

• Members
There should come a time when having a " Black Entertainment Network", or a Black Miss USA pageant, and similar events are looked back on as an embarrassment by African Americans, just as any such event advertised for Whites only would be an embarrassment today for White Americans.

I couldn't agree with this more. There definitely SHOULD be a time when this is true, but for the reasons Brandy gave, I agree with her too that this is not the time. Right now, black-only pageants and TV stations and such serve to celebrate a race that, only very recently in this nation's history, were thought of by the majority as being a lesser people. This is a time for the black community to be proud and build confidence. However, "black-only" anything is just willing segregation in the longrun, so I definitely think (and hope) that there will be a time when racial relations have smoothed over to the point that this is no longer needed, and we are all just seen as people instead of races. Maybe we're not there yet, but I hope I live to see that day.

On the main issue.... dude, every kid gets picked on. Every. Single. One. Kids are vicious little monsters and will always find a reason to pick on one-another. If it weren't your skin tone, it'd be your flat chest, your small penis, your big feet, or the simple fact that you possess a vagina. Trying to avoid having a child who is going to be picked on is a poor reason not to develop a relationship with someone, because there IS no avoiding it. While that may be the best argument against interracial relationships I've ever heard, it's still an incredibly short-sighted and simplistic one, which should tell you how I feel about interracial relationships. Discrimination is a fact of life. It sucks, but it's something everyone has to deal with at some time or another, for one reason or another.

My dad is actually somewhat racist, but he hides it well. He has gotten better in recent years. My mother was my primary influence about such things growing up, so I have always been very open-minded. I never thought much of my dad's racist jokes because I have been known to throw out a slur or two in jest myself (I engage in a lot of self-deprecating humor too), and the way I discovered he wasn't always 100% joking is when my mother and I were watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and she made a comment about how my dad would freak out if I were dating a black man. That's when I realized he didn't much like my Turkish boyfriend either. Just another nail in the coffin that is the relationship between myself and my father, I guess. Now I'm seeing someone who is half Mexican. I know my dad doesn't have a high opinion of Mexicans, so I have no idea if he'd have a problem with that or not.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, can of worms.......LOL

Personally, again, I don't see anything wrong with interracial relationships. I am one of the few where I live, and in the circle of people I am surrounded by. Even my mother confesses to being of the mind that, even if I had had a child with a black man, or Hispanic man, she would've loved the baby, but also felt "sorry for it".

To me, color and race is only skin deep. It's WHO you are inside that counts the absolute most.

But, I know that racism on all sides exsists, and those that say it doesn't, aren't realistic.

• Members

Two well-adjusted and comfortable, hoest parents can raise a child to see these things and to cope with them if they should arise. One of the best cultures I have been around have been the Hispanic community. And just to extend a bit on Tyger's comment about the existence of racism there is also a great acceptance in some areas of all people. The military is one of the best examples I could give you here. You learn very quickly to rely upon your fellow man to cover your ass and you will do the same for him or her. I never served with a female in my MOS but today things have changed. I'm sure that comraderie would have been the same regardless while I was there. If you don't believe it do a bit of research on the "March of the Bonus Army". This occured during the Great Depression and it is just another great example of how close soldiers do get when they are out there with their asses on the line.

• Members

Pappy, my apologies, my comments were in response to Poontang, not you.

I still see racism, but I don't feel, where I live, it's a major issue any more. Enough good parents raised their children in the idea of base your opinion on who they are not what they look like. I will not forget how funny it was when a girl in my grade came up pregnant and thought she would have a great shock by telling everyone the dad was black. When most of the other students just gave her an "eh, so what" she was stunned. Only her friends and wanna be's made a big deal of it.

I do know that racism still exists and that there are areas all across America that will hold out til the bitter end, but as we as a nation become more educated and focused on a common goal of prosperity, it will fade.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

My last 3 girlfriends have been white. 2 of their families were TOTALLY against them dating someone black. And the other girl, well her family really just didnt give a fuck. They saw that I was nice, respectful and was good to their daughter and that was all they needed to know. I get shit from black people all the time

(especially the jealous women) asking me why I am dating a white woman. I immediately open my mouth to say none of your fucking business, but now that I am older and so much wiser (i'm 27) I just let them know because she is sweet, loving and she has some GREAT pussy!

Now that I am single, I have women black and white that are interested in getting to know me better. But the one that I LIKE and I can get along with will be the one that I will be with. But of course if I find a sub, she will blow any woman out of the water!

Chocolatedom

• Members

I grew up in what I now know is a very unique neighborhood. My hometown is about 1/3 Caucasian of many flavors, and the rest is a mixture of just about everything. I grew up racially colorblind, and so did most of my friends. Honestly, the only kids that ever made much of an issue of race were the ones who moved into town during high school. I was very lucky to live in such an accepting area, because though I am white, race was so rarely an issue.

I'm in a relationship to wonderful, loving man. We've talked about getting married someday. When I look at him, I don't see "Ecuadorian," I see Jon, the man I love. The only person who's ever given us any trouble about our interracial relationship is my grandmother. She's a deep "Suthun Lady" as she puts it. When she found out that my boyfriend was hispanic, she did a double take, and later she casually brought up how interracial children always have trouble later on. We talked for a little while, and I gently told her that those issues just aren't as prevalent where we live. (also, it turns out her real problem with my boyfriend was that he had long hair, wore baggy jeans that were tattered at the bottom, and wore crazy punk band t-shirts! XD)

Even his family is incredibly accepting of us. Their general feeling is "She loves you, you love her. Bueno! And you're going to make such beautiful babies!" I swear, that last part is word for word! Every time I meet a new auntie (and his family is HUGE), she takes one look at me and tells us we will have beautiful babies; and we're not even engaged yet! It makes me laugh every time, and it makes Jon blush like crazy.

The only problem I've ever had with dating a hispanic man is the language barrier. He and his immediate family all speak English very well, but much of his extended family speaks little to no English. I understand a little Spanish from high school, and I speak even less, but I'm learning as quickly as I can (which is rather slowly I'm afraid). I've got great motivation to keep it up, since he teases me that he can't take me to Ecuador to stay with the rest of his family for a few weeks until I can stagger my way through a conversation. I can't wait!

• Members
They saw that I was nice, respectful and was good to their daughter and that was all they needed to know.

Chocolatedom

As a father this is what I look for! When a man rules his castle with his Queen the daughters are treated like a princess. Your quote is exactly what we want any man to continue doing for them!

• Members

I am white and my husband is Hispanic. I have always been attracted to olive skinned men with dark features. I am blonde with very light skin. My parents, well my Dad didn't like it at first but after all this time he loves him. :) Our 3 children are beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My husband and I are of mixed race he is on here coco_lover. I am black and he is white. We have 2 beautiful boys. We live in Louisiana and it is hard damn hard. They still have segregated proms and crap like that here. But if u know me I am not one to keep my mouth shut. My sister is married to a man from Guam we really don't look at colors. I fell in love with my husband cause he is in my eyes is all that. I fell in love with his heart NOT the color of his skin.

• Members
My husband and I are of mixed race he is on here coco_lover. I am black and he is white. We have 2 beautiful boys. We live in Louisiana and it is hard damn hard. They still have segregated proms and crap like that here. But if u know me I am not one to keep my mouth shut. My sister is married to a man from Guam we really don't look at colors. I fell in love with my husband cause he is in my eyes is all that. I fell in love with his heart NOT the color of his skin.

REALLY? It's still like that down there??? Sorry for you... But I bet your children are beautiful!

• Members

i am married to the most sexy black female i have ever met. we have been together for 6yrs, an married for 5yrs. an people do have a problem with it my deal is have the balls to say it to my face an not behind my back. we have 2 awsome boyz, i just hope when they grow up color is just that color, nothing else. oh an its sexy as hell when im with her, her sexy brown skin on my glow in the dark white skin lol

• Members
REALLY? It's still like that down there??? Sorry for you... But I bet your children are beautiful!

Don't feel sorry for us. I just have a smart ass mouth and when I hear comments I go off.

Yes our kids are very beautiful. I guess that why we want a girl so bad. lol Sad I know

• Members

Sorry to hear that it's like that. Come up one state....we are much more tolerant and there are no segregated proms here. Heck, we were the first state to integrate schools!!

• Members
Sorry to hear that it's like that. Come up one state....we are much more tolerant and there are no segregated proms here. Heck, we were the first state to integrate schools!!

I wish we could move. The Army has us stuck.

• Members
Hey, I just wanted to see what everyones opinion was on the subject of interracial relations? I have a niece who is mixed white/black and is the cutest little girl. I have no issue with it, and I was the only white guy my wife ever dated. I find women of all ethnicities attractive and would not hesitate to date a woman from another race. Nor would I have an issue with my son dating a different race. How do you others feel? Is it okay to date say, asians, but not hispanics or blacks? Or do you feel like race should stick to race?

I have no problem with mixed marriages. I've known a few, though not well, and they were nice folks. Fortunately I haven't had

to deal with it pesonally, neither daughter brought home a boy of different color. But I'm sure if they loved each other it

would be OK.

My biggest problem is that I grew up in the whitest state in the country and I fear that out of ignorance I will say something

to offend a person of another culture, with no intent.

Oh Yeah, when I grew I got grief for dating anyone who wasn't a Baptist! And if they were Catholic, Hang Onto Your Hat!!!!

• Members

I have to say that personally I have no issues with the race, color, nationality, etc etc. That being said I do have issues with bad people, no matter how they look. If you are trash I will tell you so. I don't care about your income bracket, I only care that you treat other people especially your SO with the utmost respect.

Those are my feelings. I, sadly, live in the most redneck area of all the north eastern states. Here they still talk about lynching people, and most of them think that NY should have joing the rebels in the Civil War. Then we would have "these people" here today. These are the trashy people I was talking about. Yes this is a HIGHLY white area, fine. It however does not need to stay that way. Forgive me if I think that meeting new people and trying new things are good things. I know, I must be crazy.

I'm not racist. I'm anti-redneck.

• Members
I have to say that personally I have no issues with the race, color, nationality, etc etc. That being said I do have issues with bad people, no matter how they look. If you are trash I will tell you so. I don't care about your income bracket, I only care that you treat other people especially your SO with the utmost respect.

Those are my feelings. I, sadly, live in the most redneck area of all the north eastern states. Here they still talk about lynching people, and most of them think that NY should have joing the rebels in the Civil War. Then we would have "these people" here today. These are the trashy people I was talking about. Yes this is a HIGHLY white area, fine. It however does not need to stay that way. Forgive me if I think that meeting new people and trying new things are good things. I know, I must be crazy.

I'm not racist. I'm anti-redneck.

Totally that's how I feel... but not all rednecks are racist. I guess I am prejudiced against racists! I know people grow up with ignorance sometimes so it's not their fault but still I cant stand that shit! Embrace multiculturalism!!!

• Members

I think that a person being of a different race should not be a disqualifying factor in a relationship but isn't it a reverse form of discrimination to actually prefer someone with a different skin color? And is it just me or is it true that the majority of interracial couples involve white women and black men and if so, why? Just curious . Really!

• Members

There will always be racism, no matter where u go. the only way we can stop it is by education on the matter. An for those who say they feel sorry for the kids, i have 2 boys an they see people look at us as we walk into a walmart or go out to eat. but the thing is they are proud of what they are and who they are. why is this because they dont see color they see mommy an daddy. now if a 4 and 8 yr old can see that then all i say is fix yourself. and dont give me the shit about thats how i was raised or thats how it is where im from. my grandfather was klan enough said, its how u decide to be dont put it on somebody else. those who chose to judge walk in our shoes an ill tell u this its a damn good walk. ups and downs but this world will not break us. and my boys will make that step when they grow up, and they will be colorblind. and maybe some will follow.

• Members

There will always be racism, no matter where u go. the only way we can stop it is by education on the matter. An for those who say they feel sorry for the kids, i have 2 boys an they see people look at us as we walk into a walmart or go out to eat. but the thing is they are proud of what they are and who they are. why is this because they dont see color they see mommy an daddy. now if a 4 and 8 yr old can see that then all i say is fix yourself. and dont give me the shit about thats how i was raised or thats how it is where im from. my grandfather was klan enough said, its how u decide to be dont put it on somebody else. those who chose to judge walk in our shoes an ill tell u this its a damn good walk. ups and downs but this world will not break us. and my boys will make that step when they grow up, and they will be colorblind. and maybe some will follow.

• Members

Listen to this song by Stephen Lynch! "Vanilla Ice Cream" You will love it! Just click on the song :D

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=314869310

• Members

Well said baby.

• Members

My daughter's best friend is Black. They've been friends for years and she's a great kid- athletic, funny. She spends tons of time at our house. My girl loves to go to their house and to the Jamaican parties and events. We live in a very homogeneous community and this kid is kind of a celebrity just by being Black.

I agree with SuzyP's comments but remember, you can't judge someone by the colour of his neck!

• Members
...but isn't it a reverse form of discrimination to actually prefer someone with a different skin color?

Only insomuch as it is reverse discrimination to prefer someone with a certain hair color. Preferences are preferences.