Official Community Forums Home

Wtf?

Tyger

OK, I live out in the "boonies". Quiet, wooded subdivision, with neighbors that pretty much keep to themselves, and, are for the most part, quiet. Especially in the early mornings and evenings. Well, I got woken up 6 AM!!! Now, I rarely get to "sleep in" between dogs, cats, and kiddo, so this was feelin' really good, til it sounded like something was coming to destroy the neighborhood!!! My dogs were going crazy cuz they couldn't see what the noise was/coming from. :angry:

2 houses down/behind me, had been condemned due to black mold (big problem here in TX). These people get Medicaide, SS, and all other kinds of bennies, and so their house is being replaced with another one, from the government. They're having to knock down the first one, and dispose of it all quickly. But, I really don't see the need for them to do this at 6 AM (unless they're doing this to minimize the airborn mold during "peak times"). The people doing the construction, or the owners themselves, should've at least sent notices out to those of us in the block, forwarning us about this, or letting us know, after all, we all know who's who, and where everyone lives, so a slip of paper in the mailbox letting us know would've been a bit of courtesy I'd appreciated.

I guess it's too much to expect people nowadays to be polite and courteous.

• Members

I feel for you! I would have been pissed, too! I hate to hear anything like that when I actually have the chance to sleep (which is almost NEVER!).

Last year, our neighbors added on to their house, and we heard it ALL day long - even weekends - starting VERY early! :angry:

Also, the neighbor on the other side of us insists on cutting his yard, outside our bedroom window, at about 9PM, right when I am trying to get my three year old to sleep! Drives us CRAZY all summer! Everytime he does it, my husband will go out on the porch and just stand there and watch him! I'm always afraid they will end up cussing each other out! :lol:

• Members

I agree with you Tyger, the owners and or construction company should have shown a smidgeon of consideration and posted flyers within the immediate area informing everyone that construction would be taking place, and that noise might be a problem.

but, that would be common sense, and all we all know, common sense is not so common.

• Members

Perhaps one day you will be able to repay them for their deeds. You are right about the attitudes of people now. I do remember well how unfriendly Texans were when I lived there and California was the same way. Georgia was a bit better but I have to say that Oklahoma, at least where I live is one of the friendliest places I've lived. Almost everyone waves or says hi, we help stranded motorists, change tires for elderly people and women. I would hate to guess the reasons that courtesy and general kindness and manners have gone away like they have. I feel for you. Hope the new ones go together quickly.

• Members

Excellent venting Tyger! Right there with you. Notice should have been given. I live in a condo complex and occasionally they shut the water off to fix a leak and never post notice. It's so annoying. You go to take a shower and get ready for work and no water. errrrr. As WW said, common sense is not common. Hope the construction goes quickly.

Well, they're still at it, so it's not them trying to keep the spores down, that's for sure.

Actually, I don't know what area of Texas you lived in Pappy, but I found Texans to be, for the most part, extremely friendly, and courteous as far as thank you, please, and that sort of thing. Except maybe in Houston (those people are crazy!!). I mean, even the thuggiest looking guy here says "thank you ma'am/sir, yes/no ma'am/sir". Hats get tipped, and doors are held open, it's sooooo refreshing.

But, as far as construction goes, this time of year, even here in Texas, is cold. Not as cold as the northern states, or my native Maine, but, today was about 37 degrees at 10 am. I know, not overly cold, but for here, kinda cold. I can tolerate it more than most down here though. Construction goes on no matter what the temp, 20 or 110 degrees, it doesn't matter. However, I swear that some sort of notice could be given out. SINCE we're way out in the middle of nowhere, ordinances aren't really high priority, nor overly enforcable since there's only one state trooper, and the Sheriff's office that covers way out here. The joys of living in the country. It's just a couple of days, but still......

Geez, I called the Sheriff about 5 mos ago, cuz I heard a gunshot a couple houses down, and, well, excuse me if that makes me nervous even in the woods, and they said there weren't any ordinances against firing a gun on your own property here in this county, so long as you're careful. "CAREFUL??" I said, "Have you SEEN some of the people that live here?? Are you kidding me? My definition of careful is faaaar different from theirs:if I can't see it, I can't hit it" thinking!! He came out anyway, but there's nothing he could do about that.

And don't even GET me started on barking & unleashed dogs!! The people that are having their house torn down has a dog, outside 24/7, and it BARKS ALL NIGHT LONG. I'm not one for animal murder.....but this dog really tempts my trigger finger............

• Members

I lived in and around San Antonio many moons ago. Got pulled over by DPS the first week for waving at them. He told me that people aren't like that there and my wave made him suspicious. As with everywhere you will find at least a few good people but many more on the other side. I do have a picture of a former Miss America sitting at my kitchen table with the next Miss S.A. entry. And a few pics from various events with several former winners. Met a few pro wrestlers also and did a lot of the festivals and cook-off events also. So I can say I met quite a number of good people there. Away from my house the better people that I met were mostly tourists around the riverwalk and Alamo. Mostly at the Jazz clubs there. And those people CANNOT drive for shit. Maybe my opinion of Texas was skewed after being raised here in the wave at everyone area but it's just my opinion. The scenery and beautiful women are at the other end of this spectrum though. There are a few pluses to be found there.

• Members

My problem is similar, but a little different. I work nights, and I am constantly awakened by dogs barking, lawn mowers, construction, all of the things that normally go on during the day. My neighbors all know that I work nights, and sometimes I wish they would be more considerate, but I have decided that is one of the many hazards of working the night shift.

• Members
1. Win Lotto

2. Buy 10,000 acres

3. Buy out nearest neighbors

4. Install self contained units

5. Sleep on the porch naked

Tango, have you seen Tyger's pics? She's a HOTTIE!! As such I think #5 would just get her a lot more guests. Maybe a different level of noise but it's noise nonetheless!!