Official Community Forums Home

Medication And Side Effects

lynnzerben

• Members

I'm taking Lexapro for anxiety and one of the side effects listed is "decreased libido" . The past few months I have noticed that I fantasize and masturbate less. Also when I do masturbate my orgasms are way less intense then they used to be. I understand that this is because of my medication, but I was wondering why some medications do this??

• Members

Medications, by their very nature, disrupt your body's chemistry. That's why they work to your advantage and that is also why they have side effects. There is no wonder drug out there that will do what you want it to without some trade-off. Even aspirin which has been around for ages and ages will thin blood and in the wrong person can be a real problem.

This is why it is very important to be very direct with both your doctor and your pharmacist about what you want and what you're willing to accept as far as these side effects. If you don't want the decreased libido, work with your health professionals to find a drug that works better for you.

Randy.

• Members

My hb was on Lexapro and he had NO libido - then he went on Wellbutrin and also had NO libido - I think it is a case by case thing, per person. He has since gotten off the anti-depressants, by using exercise as a natural anti-depressant (and more sex too) and now he is doing well off meds.

I agree with the other posters, talk to your doctor and be blunt - there are other options.

• Review Team

My doc put me on Lexapro for a while and I had the same thing, while a friend of mine had no problems. It's just a matter of what works with your chemistry. One thing my doctor did say was that Wellbutrin has a high rate of weight gain in its users, which can mess with your health by default. Depending on your condition, you might want to ask about some of the anti-seizure meds that have come out since some of them have a mood-stabilizing effect.

Let me also agree with the other posters here. Each person's body chemistry responds to different medications differently. Hence why there are SO many choices out there. It's a crap shoot to figure out which one works best for you. Even as Thurisas mentioned, asprin can affect people differently, or even the higher end pain relievers. When you start talking about mood/behavioral altering drugs, then it can really be trial and error.

If you're having issues with your meds, you need to talk with the doctor that prescribed it for you. Hence why the handouts say "If you experience any of these side effects, please tell your doctor immediately." That's not just for the severe reactions either. If you are not happy with what's happening, then it's your job as the patient to tell your doctor, and it's your doctor's job to figure something else out for you.

Good luck!!

• Members

Everyone here gave great advice about this subject!

I too have taken nearly everything available over the last 12 years. Many of them decreased my sex drive, and me as well as my ex-boyfriends and husband have suffered for it!

It usually takes most people quite awhile to find something that works for them individually. Remeber that what you are taking is not the be all end all choice. Keep trying - it is worth it if you need the extra help - especially since depression and anxiety caused decreased sex libido as well.

Good luck!!