Official Community Forums Home

Tattoos

• Members

My brother has been a professional tattoo artist for many years and when he started his own shop I helped him out quite a bit so I'm going to throw in my 2 cents worth from a professional stand point.

Anything you choose to put on your body should be carefully considered first. Although Tattoos can be removed now it is a much longer and costly process than getting one. Talk to your artist, I think you said his name is Ryan, he will have good advice for you and if he knows you are having doubts or questions he will be able to help you out with them. I think artistic tattoos can be quite beautiful especially if your pieces work together and tell a story.

One thing I always remember from my brother is that he had certain areas he would not tattoo. He would not do the front or sides of someone's neck or the backs of their hands unless they were already heavily tattooed. He said anyone place else he put one could be covered. Let me tell you I've seen some unusual tattoos in some highly unusual places.

Bottom line is it has to be something you love and can live with for the rest of your life. No matter what there will always be people who will make comments. That's just how the world is. If you love your tats and they make you feel beautiful then that's how the ones who matter to you will feel also. Good luck!

Vix

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When I first met my husband, I don't think he was too crazy about tattoos on women. I had 2 small ones at that time. In the 11 years we have been together I have gotten three more :) and last month when I got the last one, he got his first :) You can see pretty much what I got here

http://z.about.com/d/tattoo/1/0/Q/v/021205p.jpg

I got almost that same thing on the back of my neck.

I do agree with the poster that said, think about where you work when you get them. I work at the front desk in an office, so mine are in places that can't be seen all the time, just when I want to "show them off" :)

sunni

• Members

Army! That sounds like a beautiful peice of art! And I think everyone knows what tramp stamp is, and I'm in NY :)

Vix- I actually had to put off my tattoo due to fundage issues. I know I want my "sleeve" of Ivy and I am not doubting that. I was doubting if other people would like it. BUt yor right, who cares but me right? I always flaunt my tattoos at every oppertunity, this usually means TONS of sunblock during teh summer, but that's a small price to pay. :)

Sunn- I work in a granite quarry so they don't mind tattoos, almost all of the guys have several. And still even if one day I end up somewhere that it matters, that's what they make real sleeves for :) Hopefully though I'll end up backstage somewhere and in the dark no one can see your tattoos anyway.

I definitely appericate all your opinions. As soon as I can afford it (my birthday maybe?) I'll going full steam ahead on this! If My Budget holds then by x-mas at teh lastest I'll be showing you guy my new art. I also want to get the triple moon symbol for womanhood on teh base of my neck, nothing huge. I knwo the cresant moon is supposed to go on my forehead but, um, i'm not that hardcore. LOL!

MWAH! Thanks again guys, you have all helped clear any doubt!

Guest eminatic

i guess ive been ignoring this thread because its asking if men like tattoos :lol:

im a girl but i will say that i find all tattoos of any kind to be a turnoff. honestly i think it just makes you look like you have some dirt stuck on you or something o_O

• Members

Essentially you should love the person, not the ink. There are, however, some tattoos that are a complete turn on and some tattoos that are just too much. It comes down to personal preference. Incidentally, neither I nor my wife have tattoos. If she decided to get one at this point, regardless of what it was I know her so well as a person at this point and I love her so much I'd be blind to at tattoo I didn't like.

Randy.

This is the beauty of having different opinions!! Nobody's wrong.

The ONLY time I would let a tattoo influence my feelings for someone, if they were of something I found abhorent, like the Nazi symbol, and the like.

• Members
This is the beauty of having different opinions!! Nobody's wrong.

The ONLY time I would let a tattoo influence my feelings for someone, if they were of something I found abhorent, like the Nazi symbol, and the like.

Yes'am! That's what I was looking for was varied opinions. I try to keep my tattoos kinda PC, but if it was something I feel storngly about then caution to teh wind right? The female symbol i want to get is associated with "witchcraft" oh well, too bad, I'd rather have symbol of female strength and power on me than fear what people might say. And I don;t know anyone with moral opposition to ivy....

Being a Wiccan myself, I can understand and appreciate the symbolism of the triple moons, but I also understand that it doesn't JUST mean "witchcraft", and I hope that, whether or not you are Wiccan, you can explain YOUR PERSONAL reason for the triple moons to people. Of course, it is a fairly common symbol for Wicca, so for people to jump to that conclusion will sometimes possibly get on your nerves. Nicely explain to them what the moons mean to YOU, and remember that you are helping others understand different POVs. Whatever you decide to get, & why, I hope you wear it with pride!

• Members
Being a Wiccan myself, I can understand and appreciate the symbolism of the triple moons, but I also understand that it doesn't JUST mean "witchcraft", and I hope that, whether or not you are Wiccan, you can explain YOUR PERSONAL reason for the triple moons to people. Of course, it is a fairly common symbol for Wicca, so for people to jump to that conclusion will sometimes possibly get on your nerves. Nicely explain to them what the moons mean to YOU, and remember that you are helping others understand different POVs. Whatever you decide to get, & why, I hope you wear it with pride!

I love the tenats of Wicca, and it's definitely something that I have always more or less believed any way. Since I'm in super redneck hell I just tell be I'm agnostic (which being what they are they still seem to believe that Satanism. Oy. I know i'll get annoying questions and I'll probably get over that quickly, everyone asks if the one on my wrist is fake because i got it colored like henna and i just explain that no i really like teh look of henna but i thought it'd be much cooler perment etc etc etc. And what I don't tell them is that henna is used on women for protection, to keep them pure and honest, which is why i got it really.

Archer- I would never, ever get a tattoo for someone. I have many couple friends who wanted to get tattoos together and I always warn them that you have them forever and you have to really think about it. If you both have tattoos that you want, that aren't influenced by the otehr 1/2 of tehc ouple and you want to get them at teh same time, than have fun, otherwise really and strongly think about what your doing to your body. :) The Ivy I want is my Celtic "Zodiac" symbol, and when I read about it i realized that it fit me to a T! It was like someone knew me so indepth and posted it online. very exciting. Plus I'm Irish and Scottish so it's a heritage thing too! Celtic Zodiac

• 2 months later...
  • Members

guys in california love tatoo's! my man is covered in them and he's a huge suicide girl fan. we look at convention magazines and we share our plans about tatoo's he thinks the next two i want are sexy and the first two i have he says are cute (a sun and moon on my feet). i'm saving up for this beautiful bleeding heart on my shoulder behind my heart and when my sick cat dies i will get his paw prints going up my side, back and neck.. he said that one will be real sexy. and i know i'll love it cuz it will mean so much to me.

AW!! What a cute idea, "eikoops". I LOVE it!! I have a 16 yr old sick cat too, and so I know what you're going thru. Any tattoo that has special meaning to you, is always the best kind!!

• Members

I think it would really depend on the guy.... if a guy likes tattoos, chances are that he won't mind you having them....

I remember my mother telling me not to pick at scabs when I was little because they would form scars and that no guy would want to hold my hand if it was covered in scars.... I thought she was crazy.... I mean, come on. A girl with a few scars would ATTRACT some guys, I think... it means the girl isn't afraid to get down and dirty with different things.... (found out this was true... my last boyfriend loved that I was able to share scar stories with him! lol)

Any guy that doesn't like you being tattooed might not be right.... after all, the tattoos are part of who you are.... if they don't like them, the might not like you for who you truly are! And if these tattoos mean something and aren't just for looks, the guy should appreciate the stories you can tell from them!

• Members
guys in california love tatoo's! my man is covered in them and he's a huge suicide girl fan. we look at convention magazines and we share our plans about tatoo's he thinks the next two i want are sexy and the first two i have he says are cute (a sun and moon on my feet). i'm saving up for this beautiful bleeding heart on my shoulder behind my heart and when my sick cat dies i will get his paw prints going up my side, back and neck.. he said that one will be real sexy. and i know i'll love it cuz it will mean so much to me.

These tats I think are the best kind. In the case of some people I think they should be the only kind that an artist would want to do.

I'm one of those guys that digs scars too! And the woman/stories that come with them!

• Members
These tats I think are the best kind. In the case of some people I think they should be the only kind that an artist would want to do.

I'm one of those guys that digs scars too! And the woman/stories that come with them!

I have a scar... Above my eye WHERE I HIT MYSELF LAST WEEK! <_<

• Members
I have a scar... Above my eye WHERE I HIT MYSELF LAST WEEK! <_<

WTH did you do that for? I've got one above my left eye from a guy who got lucky and caught me with a shot. Cuts right through my eyebrowand bled like a stuck hog!

• Members

I have a scar through my eyebrow too - hit in the head with a baseball bat. I think scars are cool too - grew up with a girl that had a big scar down her cheek from a dog bite - she was beautiful. I can remember wanting to get bit by a dog so I could look like her :rolleyes:

• Members

IDK if I'd wish for a dogbite since they tend to fester but I'm sure this girl was a beauty even before this. Although things like this tend to bring an inner beauty out in most people!

• Members
IDK if I'd wish for a dogbite since they tend to fester but I'm sure this girl was a beauty even before this. Although things like this tend to bring an inner beauty out in most people!

You are so right! I was young & probably wishing more to look like her than to have the actual scar. and looking back now she didn't have much inner beauty...

• Members

There is an old saying amongst the warrior types about chicks digging scars but it's just not true. There has to be something deeper. They tend to be icebreakers but when they hear the stories behind them they either run like hell or they find that deeper person behind them!

• Members

This may sound strange coming from a Biker, but I think a lot of people go too far with Tattoos. When they are done tastefully, they can add a bit of excitement. However, they sometimes seem to be an attention getting device when overdone. I want to see the person and personality when I look at a woman, and not someone's artwork.

I wouldn't be turned-off by them, but I would be less likely to take someone seriously who is tattood all over.

This may sound strange coming from a Biker, but I think a lot of people go too far with Tattoos. When they are done tastefully, they can add a bit of excitement. However, they sometimes seem to be an attention getting device when overdone. I want to see the person and personality when I look at a woman, and not someone's artwork.

I wouldn't be turned-off by them, but I would be less likely to take someone seriously who is tattood all over.

I HAVE tattoos, and I totally agree with you there!! Plus, there are certain types of tattoos that just gross me out, and turn me right off. <_<

BTW, I have scars, and my MOST proudest one I have is the small one from my c-section!! :kiss:

• Members
I HAVE tattoos, and I totally agree with you there!! Plus, there are certain types of tattoos that just gross me out, and turn me right off. <_<

BTW, I have scars, and my MOST proudest one I have is the small one from my c-section!! :kiss:

I've seen yours and still love it. One of the best I've seen. And BTW that should be your proudest scar!

• Members
WTH did you do that for? I've got one above my left eye from a guy who got lucky and caught me with a shot. Cuts right through my eyebrowand bled like a stuck hog!

LOL I wrote about it in random thoughts. I hit my eye with the car door. I drove to the chiropractor with a diaper on my eye. I bet it looked pretty funny. it still hurts when I press it. :(