Official Community Forums Home

4 All You Dieting Girls!

pappyld04

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Portion control! don't deny yourself anything. If you want a cookie have 1 or 2..not 4 or 5. Fill you're dinner plate with tons of veggies, protein, and a SMALL portion of carbs. Use healthy oils, canola, olive oil. Use lots of herbs and spices to flavor your food.

don't like the gym? do yard work, run around the yard with your kids/grandkids, have sex!! hot steamy sex..its a great way to burn calories.

This is what I did, and it did work..i lost close to 35 lbs. Of course, being sick, and being on steriods and an all carb diet because thats all i could eat with out making me sick for the last 6 months, has packed it all on plus...so...im starting ALL over again...ugh...

Good thing is..it's getting nice out..so I will mostly be cooking on the grill. Less likely to eat heavier foods in the spring/summer.

• Members
Portion control! don't deny yourself anything. If you want a cookie have 1 or 2..not 4 or 5. Fill you're dinner plate with tons of veggies, protein, and a SMALL portion of carbs. Use healthy oils, canola, olive oil. Use lots of herbs and spices to flavor your food.

don't like the gym? do yard work, run around the yard with your kids/grandkids, have sex!! hot steamy sex..its a great way to burn calories.

This is what I did, and it did work..i lost close to 35 lbs. Of course, being sick, and being on steriods and an all carb diet because thats all i could eat with out making me sick for the last 6 months, has packed it all on plus...so...im starting ALL over again...ugh...

Good thing is..it's getting nice out..so I will mostly be cooking on the grill. Less likely to eat heavier foods in the spring/summer.

You go girl!..... I never had a weight problem, but I did have to loose maybe 10 lbs after birthing my children; breast feeding took care of that quickly.

• Members

Sorry but WW is working for me. Although I think our points are worked out differently to the US system. In 8 weeks i have lost 11 1/2lbs! Best I have ever done and feel fucking great for it.

Whatever suits you best!

• Members
Sorry but WW is working for me. Although I think our points are worked out differently to the US system. In 8 weeks i have lost 11 1/2lbs! Best I have ever done and feel fucking great for it.

Whatever suits you best!

Exactly and Weight Watchers teaches you how to figur out points based on calories and such right? I found that cutting out 99% of all the crap that i eat and getting up off my ass work best for me!

• Members
Exactly and Weight Watchers teaches you how to figur out points based on calories and such right? I found that cutting out 99% of all the crap that i eat and getting up off my ass work best for me!

Yep, do 30 minutes excersise every week day now, cut out all the crap! Knowing points works for me as I know a lower point food will be lower cal and fat!

Will need to loose a few more lbs before a new photo is posted but hubby has promised sexy undies when I loose the first stone!!! WOO HOO

I've just been monitoring and watching what and how much I eat. It's been working. Yes, things do count and if you "cheat" on your diet, thinking it won't matter, well, it does matter.

WW does teach you how to watch your intake, and uses a point system so you can see number results. Many people, especially women, use numbers to gauge their fitness (pounds lost), so this is a great way for many to see what they're doing, diet wise.

Lots of people can't or won't take the time to use common sense when it comes to diet & exercise. But, if you find a program that works for you, then go for it!!!

• Members

For me, carbs are my mortal enemy....I have PCOS...and carbs and PCOS do not mix...they cause havoc on my endocrine system. I'm where I was 8 years ago...blahhhh..oh well, nothing I could do about it..I just have to bust serious ass now. Played tennis with my hubby today for 2 hours. The kids have weight room tomorrow for gym class, so I will hop on the eliptical for about 40 min. cardio, cardio, cardio

• Members

The words of this woman are filled with negativity and anger... (I'm talking about the original post) Ugh. Uncomfortable even to read. This is not really related to the topic, but I had to say it. Sorry for the intrusion!

• Members
The words of this woman are filled with negativity and anger... (I'm talking about the original post) Ugh. Uncomfortable even to read. This is not really related to the topic, but I had to say it. Sorry for the intrusion!

Nope your right it is very negitive! Which just means that the author doesn't remember how hard it is get motivated and STAY motivated!

• Members
Nope your right it is very negitive! Which just means that the author doesn't remember how hard it is get motivated and STAY motivated!

I agree, whatever works for any person. At least trying to loose weight by sensible diet / exercise is better than not and just piling crap down your neck!!!

Good luck to all off us on the diet trail........sexy undies here I come!

• Members
the article doesn't seem negative to me...just the truth but no one wants to hear it.

Have you ever been on a diet? If you did then you'd know that what works for one doesn't work for another. Take me and that lady who wrote teh article. According to her I should be failing. I don't count calories, I don't worry about not "cheating" none of that. i know that denying myself something when I want it (just because it isn't my cheat day) will make me fail in a BIG way. Instead I use wicked strong protion control. And I've lost two pants sizes. It's negitive in that it knocks EVERY way but her own. You can't tell someone who is trying at least that they are doing it wrong. That's not fair is it?

Guest eminatic

but the idea behind portion control and most other diets is to reduce the amount of calories consumed to less than the calories used. they are all essentially a roundabout way of counting calories.

• Members
but the idea behind portion control and most other diets is to reduce the amount of calories consumed to less than the calories used. they are all essentially a roundabout way of counting calories.

But the idea that what we're doing isn't right and thus that we will fail by anyone else's standards is negitive. When someone embarks on a diet they need ALL the help that can get, every last drop of encouragement is more than just appericiated, it's vital. The second someone tells you that it's not working or your going to fail is the second you start to fail. So for anyone who reads that article and is on a diet, like myself, it is VERY negitive. Even thr most hardcore and up-tight trainers and nutrionist realize this and mix their harsh words with compliments. If weight watchers is working for someone, why tell them it's wrong? "Profoundly Wrong"? Why not say okay, well ya look good, but weight watchers doesn't work for me. Here's what I do. That's easy enough right?

Seriously getting on a staying on a diet, for most peopple, is harder than quitting smoking. Not only because of the will power needed but also because what works for you won't work for me. It may take several attempts before someone finds out what works for them. It may just be simple portion control, which, in no way shape or form is counting calories since I know I don't even look. When I do look I realize that those 4 Oreos I ate pretty much would mean I'd have to starve the rest of the day, if i was counting calories. Which I don't. I make sure I eat if I'm hungry, I try not to eat if I'm not and I simply use a smaller plate when I do. Sounds easy but I come from a long line of eatters.

Guest eminatic

i dont think theres anything wrong with not sugar coating the truth

but since everyone assumes i've never had weight issues and didnt have to WORK to get the body i have i guess i have no right to speak in this thread :rolleyes: i'll never understand this strange double standard.

Whether or not you "count calories", watching what you eat can be very hard. Especially after you have a baby. I was a size 6/8 for the majority of my life. Not so now!! LOL I am trying to diet, and I know that part of my problem is what I eat, getting older, and the need to exercise more. All of which I am doing now. Do I count calories? No, I don't have the time to log everything I eat. I know that system wouldn't work for me. I know myself enough to know that at least!! LMAO

When I was thin, I'd get snubbed at by larger people cuz I didn't have "their problem". However, I worked out for almost 2 hours a day, worked long hours on my feet, and watch what I ate. I worked at being that thin and healthy. It doesn't come easy for a lot of people.

I do find that the person that wrote the article is rather petty and negative, however. Saying something's gonna fail just because you don't believe in it is just wrong. Unless you have tried it, and, in this case FOLLOWED it to the letter, you really can't say too much. It'd be like my mother saying it doesn't work. She's been on those sorts of diets for maybe 2 weeks, and quit, cuz she didn't see results. I keep telling her that that sort of thing is a long-time/life-time commitment, not a thing you just do for a bit, get fantastic and dramatic results, and you're all good.

• Members
i dont think theres anything wrong with not sugar coating the truth

but since everyone assumes i've never had weight issues and didnt have to WORK to get the body i have i guess i have no right to speak in this thread :rolleyes: i'll never understand this strange double standard.

No hun it's not a double standard or anything, it's just a question of whether or you've been there. If you have then you'd understand why we are saying it's negitive. That's all hun.

Guest eminatic

see, but i HAVE been there. i have had significant, almost instant weight gain from medical side effects and it was HARD to get rid of it, in fact it was hard as hell and i still can't kick the last little bit, and yes, i've had my share of eating disorders in the past. yet people look at me and go "god she's such a skinny bitch, i bet she's anorexic or something and doesnt have to work to keep weight off like the rest of us"

why is it ok for people to cut down girls who are in shape at every opportunity, yet it is a heinous crime to suggest that a woman might be overweight?

• Members
see, but i HAVE been there. i have had significant, almost instant weight gain from medical side effects and it was HARD to get rid of it, in fact it was hard as hell and i still can't kick the last little bit, and yes, i've had my share of eating disorders in the past. yet people look at me and go "god she's such a skinny bitch, i bet she's anorexic or something and doesnt have to work to keep weight off like the rest of us"

why is it ok for people to cut down girls who are in shape at every opportunity, yet it is a heinous crime to suggest that a woman might be overweight?

I can honestly say I have never slagged a skinny or thin person off in that way. I look at you fit ladies and just drool, I admire them as what I want to be! I think you are being a bit harsh on us 'ole tubbies; not all of us think that way, you are tarring us all with the same brush.

Guest eminatic

i'm not saying its limited to judgement from women alone. in society, commercials, media etc it is ok to chalk up a thin woman's appearance to "being anorexic/fake/trying too hard to fit media stereotypes of women/doesn't accept natural beauty" etc. but it doesn't work the other way around.

• Members
i'm not saying its limited to judgement from women alone. in society, commercials, media etc it is ok to chalk up a thin woman's appearance to "being anorexic/fake/trying too hard to fit media stereotypes of women/doesn't accept natural beauty" etc. but it doesn't work the other way around.

I'm not sure where this si coming from, the only time I EVER see anyone in the media talking about a woman being TOO skinny is when they ar ein deed too skinny, when it is a pile of flesh and bones in a bikini in Cabo. Other wise ytou hera more stories of "OMG so-and-so got fat" when they would be at most a size 6 or 8. And I wasn't cutting you down in any wya, or at least not intentionally. My point was that the original author was very negitive when it take POSITIVE reinforcement to help someone lose weight, not harsh comments like those made in that article. Further, to spin this back around, no one accused you of anything, I simply asked if you have ever been on a diet. I never even refered to your size, now or at any point in your life. I have been skinny and i have been fat. And yes it is such a HEINIOUS crime to refer to anyone as being over weight outside a medical discussion.

Oh an you do hear stories of women who are curvy and goregous, America Ferria (spelling n the last night?), Queen Latifia, Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce is curvy, Katherine Zeta Jones is curvy. This are beautiful women who have meat on their bones and they are celebrated.

I should point out that no one here is attacking you or excluding you from the converstation.

• Members

A simplistic article which might work for simplistic eating problems. This article is all fine and good if it works for you, but some people do not respond well to calorie restriction. That feels too much like deprivation to me.

I find that I lose weight much more effectively on the high protein type diets such as Atkins. If you count the calories, it might be very high - I don't even know how to do that! - but counting carbs is simple and works much better for me. Weight loss is not really so simple as just calories in and calories out, or programs like Atkins which allow thousands of calories a day with almost no restriction on butter, mayo, beef, and cream would not work. They work by restricting carbs to 20-70 a day, depending on where you are in the program. You can eat as much as you want as long as you maintain the carb limits. It may sound odd, but it actually works for me.

These suggestions also really minimize the impact of emotional issues on eating. In fact, it virtually ignores emotional eating altogether. I would venture to say that most people who are overweight by more than 35 pounds are eating out of emotional issues rather than hunger. It's easy to say "just say no to donuts", but if the emotional issues have taken hold you might as well be talking to a wall. It's almost like an addiction, and "just say no" does not work to combat addiction very well. No diet in the world fixes emotional overeating; that requires therapy - hard, dirty, gut-wrenching therapy, and lots of it. This article which makes weight loss sound so simple, really does a tremendous disservice to those who struggle with this issue.

• Members

I'm not a fan of any diet that cuts out any food group, yes like the Atkins diet. It is my opinion that our bodies need each to work properly, and yes that includes some sugar, fats and carbs. My approach to dieting is simple. DO NOT DIET! Once you go on a dieting, it is my belief one feels subconsciously deprived therefore making satisfaction harder to achieve. I believe giving yourself limits for anything you want, a spoonful, a sliver, a taste whatever, satisfies ones need to indulge.

And here's the other part, each persons body has it's own natural comfort level for weight. Stop fighting it and embrace your individuality. :)