Official Community Forums Home

One Thing You Need In A Relationship...

• Members

What is one thing you absolutely need to have in a SO, besides great sex, in order for the relationship to work?

For me... well see my signature! ;) He has to be able to make me laugh I mean uncontrollable stomachache laughing!

ETA: and Open communication is a must!

What are yours?

• Members

HONESTY....is my first priority

• Review Team

I have to say honesty and openness tie. SO and I had this talk the other day, how not telling me about something until I ask, even when I get an honest answer when asked, is not the same as him telling me in the first place.

I likened it to this: He knows I have an ex-FWB and that he and I still talk, are friends and have work interactions. He also knows he has nothing to worry about. But, if ex-FWB came over to the house to say, bring me a file from work, and I didn't tell SO but rather the neighbor mentioned it in passing, he would think I was trying to hide something, whereas if I just told him, "hey dude stopped by for a minute today" then it would be no big deal.

I am naturally curious and suspicious, always have been and likely always will be. I also find it hard to trust, so being open and honest with me is a must, even if it is something bad because I will find out eventually (my curious nature) and it will be much worse if I find out on my own instead of just being told in the first place.

• Members
What is one thing you absolutely need to have in a SO, besides great sex, in order for the relationship to work?

For me... well see my signature! ;) He has to be able to make me laugh I mean uncontrollable stomachache laughing!

Honesty is a close second.

What are yours?

Communication

Trust

Honesty

Respect

Probably in that order.

Oh, you said ONE thing. Damn. OK, communication - without that you'll never know about the others.

• Members
Oh, you said ONE thing. Damn. OK, communication - without that you'll never know about the others.

Good point! I think I will change mine! It is so important!

• Members

It's a toss up between trust and communication.....

Without trust there will be no communication......

If there's no communication how do I know I trust you?

See my dilemma.....

• Members
I have to say honesty and openness tie. SO and I had this talk the other day, how not telling me about something until I ask, even when I get an honest answer when asked, is not the same as him telling me in the first place.

I likened it to this: He knows I have an ex-FWB and that he and I still talk, are friends and have work interactions. He also knows he has nothing to worry about. But, if ex-FWB came over to the house to say, bring me a file from work, and I didn't tell SO but rather the neighbor mentioned it in passing, he would think I was trying to hide something, whereas if I just told him, "hey dude stopped by for a minute today" then it would be no big deal.

I am naturally curious and suspicious, always have been and likely always will be. I also find it hard to trust, so being open and honest with me is a must, even if it is something bad because I will find out eventually (my curious nature) and it will be much worse if I find out on my own instead of just being told in the first place.

Ms. You have said it perfectly.

Trust and commitment are a must.

• Members

A lie of omission is still a lie. Some people don't get that. :(

Communication

Trust

Honesty

Respect

Probably in that order.

Ditto!!!! OH!!! And a nice ass is also beneficial!! LOL

• Review Team

THANK YOU! I feel this way, too. And it is amazing to me how people who don't think this way cannot be convinced.

I thought about it and I have to say that respect ranks high for me, too. I mean, if a person really respects another, they will communicate and be open and honest, right?

I seem to see a pattern here where one thing depends on another, which depends on another, etc. I guess that's why is it so difficult for us to find the perfect relationship.

• Members

Agree completely!

• Members

Yep! It's called being "deceitful". Write that down! LOL

• Members

I think you need more than one thing. Trust and sex alone are not enough. You have to like each other; enjoy each other's company; enjoy doing things together, and not just cuz you like the same thing, but like doing whatever it is with the other person there with you; you need to have at least a few things in common. I think.

• Review Team
i forgot one of my biggest needs: FUN!

I need to be amused a bit, too. I like to laugh but don't get many chances to do it, so an SO that give me that is important.

• Members

He HAS to be compassionate and patient. I get all out of sorts hormonally sometimes, so understanding is important....

HONESTY! Gotta have it.

Open mind, good communication, and a willingness to admit when he's at fault.

This pretty much covers everything though: Cherish. He must cherish me.

• Members
It's a toss up between trust and communication.....

Without trust there will be no communication......

If there's no communication how do I know I trust you?

See my dilemma.....

I need to amend this.....

There is always more than one deal breaker...... It can't be just one.

• Members

Trust

Honesty

Able to compromise!

Able to make eachother laugh!

Compassion

Just a few I thought of off the top of my head.

• Review Team
ohhhh that's a good one!

I agree. Cherish me, hmmm ...

• Members

I think communication is key. If a couple is communicating, then trust, respect, friendship, love and being cherished follow.