Official Community Forums Home

Another Animal Dump

Tyger

So, a few days ago, I saw this dog, looking to be a puppy, run across our yard. I tried to get its attention, but it was skittish. It looked rather plump, so I thought it just took off from its house.

Then, a few days after that, DH brings in the same dog, yes, she is a puppy, looking to be a beagle, or having strong beagle genes, still has her milk teeth, but eats hard food, sweet, good with kids, dogs, and adjusting to cats being present. LOL

She is well-socialized, since she LOVES people. The first night she was here, she snuggled right up next to me, and if she could've attached herself to me somehow, she would've. So, how is it, that such a sweet little dog, could be dumped? Someone would LOVE to have such a sweetie.....I would think.

We have 3 dogs now, as it is. So, I've posted a "FREE DOG TO A GOOD HOME" on the local message board. Unfortunately, this problem is a rampant one around here, so she is not a rare case, nor easy to place into another home, since there are just SOOO many of them. I hope to find her a good home, but I have a feeling we just got another dog.......

• Members
So, a few days ago, I saw this dog, looking to be a puppy, run across our yard. I tried to get its attention, but it was skittish. It looked rather plump, so I thought it just took off from its house.

Then, a few days after that, DH brings in the same dog, yes, she is a puppy, looking to be a beagle, or having strong beagle genes, still has her milk teeth, but eats hard food, sweet, good with kids, dogs, and adjusting to cats being present. LOL

She is well-socialized, since she LOVES people. The first night she was here, she snuggled right up next to me, and if she could've attached herself to me somehow, she would've. So, how is it, that such a sweet little dog, could be dumped? Someone would LOVE to have such a sweetie.....I would think.

We have 3 dogs now, as it is. So, I've posted a "FREE DOG TO A GOOD HOME" on the local message board. Unfortunately, this problem is a rampant one around here, so she is not a rare case, nor easy to place into another home, since there are just SOOO many of them. I hope to find her a good home, but I have a feeling we just got another dog.......

3 dogs, 2 horses, a bunch of cats, you have a great start for a petting zoo...... Charge admission your good to go :)

:lol: Oh, it's more than that!!!

(With the new dog) 4 dogs, (with the new colt) 5 horses, 4 cats, and 5 newborn kittens!!!!!

I could call it the Looney BARN!!

• Members

:P :P :P Okay, you have a petting zoo..... :P :P :P

Any more animals and they'll be declaring your home a protected land preserve..... :lol:

Guest eminatic

wow....where i live there is a law that forbids anyone from owning more than 3 dogs =/

why can't people just spay/neuter their pets? its not even that expensive...just last week one of the clinics was doing a special for spay/neuter PLUS starter shots for $30

• Members

Oh that pisses me off!! When people get animals they do not realize the expense they have to shell out. Why do you think we only have 2 cats? I don't want to be stuck setting money aside for vet bills all the time. I agree with Em, take them to the humanse society!! They spay your animals and give them shots for cheap.

My husband and i are HUGE cat lovers, thats why we are fostering...It's a great joy for us, and we don't have to pay their vet bills. We get to offer these cats/kittens love until they are ready to go to their new homes. The adoption fee for the mama cat and her kittens is $50. This includes their spay, shots, blood work, de-worming, and the microchip.

IF YOU CANT AFFORD ANIMALS DON'T HAVE THEM!!!

• Members
wow....where i live there is a law that forbids anyone from owning more than 3 dogs =/

why can't people just spay/neuter their pets? its not even that expensive...just last week one of the clinics was doing a special for spay/neuter PLUS starter shots for $30

That law is a joke and certainly unenforceable!

The problem is not about spay/neutering our pets as much as being a responsible owner. Just because the dog in a movie was cute doesn't mean everyone should own one. Ever see how many Dalmations ended up in shelters after that movie? The people are the problem!!!!!!!!!

Guest eminatic

the only way it would be unenforced is if the owner NEVER took any of the dogs to the vet. there are actually very strict rules requiring veterinary offices to report anyone owning more than 3 dogs. and also if you are not friendly with your neighbor you could be easily reported. if you own more than 3 you have to have a breeder's license.

Where we are, we have deed restrictions, and that limits 4 dogs, per lot. We own 3 lots. However, even if we had 115 dogs, they haven't enforced the deed restrictions in over 25 yrs, so they'd be hard pressed to do so now! :lol:

Don't take this as excuses, or excusing dumpers, cuz it pisses me off to NO end, but, in this area, as well as many across the country, it's a poor area. People can't afford to take their animals to the vet, and, all of the programs for cheap/free animal neutering/spaying are contantly broke! A lot of the people around here are soft-hearted, and have the best intentions, then their pets get pregnant, usually on accident, and thus, the problem compounds. The one dog that is not fixed here, I plan to breed (herding dog, very popular), and sell to responsible and ranching people. I will be picky of to whom I sell my dogs too.

The local SPCA is begging for foster homes, and has to euthenize more animals than they are able to place! They will actually say "we just don't have the room for that", and the other animal shelter in town, had to shut down due to lack of funds to repair the building that they were in (right behind the Sheriff's dept!!!)

The one lady that does do rescue around here, keeps the dogs at her house (in our subdivision), and her house/yard isn't really safe or secure for the animals she has care of. Plus, she chooses fosters that don't care or can afford much to help out (one family has had puppies there with parvo, and the rescue lady KNOWS this and STILL Drops off puppies to her!!!). Plus, even if you DO want to drop of an animal to her, she won't call you back! Unless you tell her "I have $$$ for you, or pet food for you", nope, no call backs....trust me! I had rescued a pitbull pup (female), and this lady had said she'd take her. I told her I didn't have the time or energy to take care of a puppy, and nor did I want a pitbull at my house. I had a small child to worry about more. 3 days later, I still had the dog, after those past 2 days of her promising to get the dog. I finally crated the puppy up, and brought it to her house. It was cool outside, so I had no worries about it baking to death, or freezing to death. I donated the crate it was in, left a note on the top of it, made sure she had food & water in the cage, and left her at the front door. I hated to do that, but the woman wouldn't help me at all. I was just trying to make sure that that dog didn't get shot, poisoned, or bit by a snake.

So, it's very very frustrating how people just SAY that they want to help, but then won't follow thru with it!!!

• Members

The last time I got home someone had dumped a young dog at my house. I haven't been home in over a week so if she's still there I will have to shoot her. I would rather do that than it starve to death. I hope she will wander off. I hate to have to kill animals but I'm never home.

• Members
the only way it would be unenforced is if the owner NEVER took any of the dogs to the vet. there are actually very strict rules requiring veterinary offices to report anyone owning more than 3 dogs. and also if you are not friendly with your neighbor you could be easily reported. if you own more than 3 you have to have a breeder's license.
They are supposed to have evidence not just a complaint from a neighbor. I'm sure there is more than one vet in a city of that size.

Guest eminatic
They are supposed to have evidence not just a complaint from a neighbor. I'm sure there is more than one vet in a city of that size.

if neighbors complain 3 times after 10pm and before...some time in the morning i can't remember, they must send someone out to look. yeah, there is more than one vet...but most people take all their dogs to the same vet o_O

i'm pretty sure no one cares as long as the dogs aren't a problem. i remember last month my friend tried to adopt a dog though and when she took it to her vet they said they would be forced to report her (prior to that, neither of us even knew this law existed) all the other vets she tried said the same. then again her dogs aren't exactly well behaved...

Great news!! I found the puppy a home!! DD isn't overly happy, but, I told her that 3 dogs is enough, and I'd been telling her that we needed to find this dog a home, every day, since we got her. So, I am happy!! And hopefully the puppy will be too.

DD will be upset for a while, but, along with trying to teach her empathy, I also want to teach her responsible pet-ownership, and overwhelming yourself with too many pets isn't responsible.

• Members
Great news!! I found the puppy a home!! DD isn't overly happy, but, I told her that 3 dogs is enough, and I'd been telling her that we needed to find this dog a home, every day, since we got her. So, I am happy!! And hopefully the puppy will be too.

DD will be upset for a while, but, along with trying to teach her empathy, I also want to teach her responsible pet-ownership, and overwhelming yourself with too many pets isn't responsible.

That is very true, whether it's one fish or a farm full of animals you need to think about the time that you have available not just for food, shelter, and water for the animals but love and companionship as well.

• Members

Where I am they enforce it very much. Its a $1000 if you dont have your pets registered and they get picked up. they keep track of how many pets and if you get rid of one and register another they will send you out letters until you can prove you the other one is gone.

As for Horses, cows, pigs, chickens, goats there is a point system and if you have more points than your land amount allowes you get big fines.

• Members

YEA!!!!! I think your doing a great job with your daughter Tyger.

Thank you very much!

DD told me that she was still upset with me for giving the puppy away, and that it wasn't a good decision, but I keep stressing how better off she will be in a home that can give her more attention. Sticking to your guns is important. Though I also tell her that it's OK for her to be mad at me, and I was fine with that, so long as she keeps it respectful, and that she had the right to be mad at me.

• Members

Tyger, you did a good thing. keep talking to your daughter when she gets upset about it,

and eventually she will start to see that you found the puppy a good home BECAUSE you love animals.

It would be so easy to keep evey critter that showed up on the back porch.

The responsible thing is to find a family who will love it and can afford to give it a decent life,

and that is exactly what you did. Good work, Tyg.

• Members

Yay that you found her a home!! That's awesome.

I do dog rescue/fostering too. My current foster is a 1.5 y.o pit bull but it seems like we're gonna be sending her to another rescue out of state (Wisconsin to be exact) to up her chances of being adopted. Not too many people around want to adopt a pit bull for the right reasons sadly. We got requests to adopt her but those people specifically requested we NOT spay her so they could breed her. HA! As if we're gonna knowingly contribute to the pet overpopulation and dog fighting issues we have in this area.

I'll be sad to see her go but in the end, it's just like you told your DD Tyger, it's better for the dog. Plus it'll open up space for me to foster again since my very smart hubby said I can only foster one at a time. He knows I'd soon have a zoo if he didn't limit me :) I may just have to go with a litter of puppies this time around and just tell hubby that lots of little ones equals one big one so there! LOL!

• Review Team

I live in a county where about half the population lives inside the city limits and half live outside. There are limits inside but not outside. This is a mostly rural county (about 110,000 people) and farming is big. The farmers generally fight anytime an animal ordinace comes up because they say that farm dogs are a needed part of their life. So, there are few rules for dogs here.

In the county, unless you are in a subdivision with homeowner association rules like me, you can have many pets as you want. They do not have to regeristered - there is no registration process outside of the city. The only animal shelter in the county is a city shelter and is paid for by CITY taxes so they cannot accept any animals from outside the city. The local humane society is broke (the taxpayers will not approve a tax for them so they depend totally on donations), has no shelter, only a handful of foster families, cannot current accept any new animals into their program because no one is adopting the ones they have, and has even talked about disbanning.

Sooooo ... dumping happens here a lot. That is how I got the two adult dogs I have and why I accepted the two pups I now have (they would have been dumped if I hadn't taken them) and my neighbor just got a momma dog with 7 newborn pups that were dumped. The puppies do not even have their eyes open yet.

All of this saddens and angers me. I have talked with county officals and all but it all boils down to money and there just doesn't seem enough to take care of this problem here.

• Members
The last time I got home someone had dumped a young dog at my house. I haven't been home in over a week so if she's still there I will have to shoot her. I would rather do that than it starve to death. I hope she will wander off. I hate to have to kill animals but I'm never home.
((sounds like you are a long haul truck driver)) It has always been my contention (right word I hope) that shooting an unwanted/sickly animal was the right thing to do. Everyone is not set up like a vet for putting an animal asleep. I took in an abandoned puppy many years ago when I lived out in Stick City. After it crapped all over my cabin with no sign of stopping I had to drop it at the Humane Society. I didn't own a gun at the time. I've never liked killing animals which is why I do not hunt. Years ago I worked for a dead animal recovery service. I often had to put down an animal first before I could load it. I hated that part of the job. I lasted a week and quit. It was about the shittiest job I'd ever had (at the time). I think I'd be more comfortable shooting the asshole that would abandon a defenseless critter. Just maim them so they would forever be reminded. That might prevent them from ever doing it again thinking I might be around the corner waiting to blow off another finger or toe. Guilt is a powerful weapon to prevent crime.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

We have just taken another baby under our wing. Tito, is about a year old, 2lb. Chihauhau, red on the head like a pecker on a poodle, and bit my finger right off the bat! Mama got him for her birthday.

Congrats on the new addition!!!