Official Community Forums Home

Politically Correct Cigarettes Now?!?!?

12GAUGE

• Members

I am soooo totally pissed off about this I just want to scream...or find the asshole(s) who made Big Tobacco do this and gut shoot them.

I've been a smoker for 30 years or so. I know cigs are bad for me. Yes I've tried to quit half a dozen times or more in the last 20 years. That's NOT the issue here.

The story I got where I go to buy my smokes is this. Seems I guess one old lady or drunk too many burned their house down asleep/passed out with a lit cig in their hand. So one more crybaby democrat got it in their heads that if tobacco was treated with some type of flame/fire retardant chemical all the smokers in America would be "safer" cuz now if you don't constantly take drags off your smoke YOUR SMOKE WILL GO OUT BY ITSELF!!!

THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!!

For one thing it makes your cig 'taste funny' (and I am NOT laughing). You have to relight your smoke sometimes 3 or 4 times which is a pain. I would really be curious as to how many smokers in TT land and just America in general would agree with me that this is A BAD IDEA!!

NON smokers have no say here.

In fact I'd be willing to bet it was a NON SMOKER that came up with this lame ass idea. This really chaps my ass.

• Members

I am a non-smoker, but I'll take a say anyway . . .

First, I don't have strong feelings on it one way or the other, but I'd probably lean toward being against it, since when you make things safer, people tend to get more careless so as to balance things out. And if I smoked I would not want some extra chemical in there that did not need to be.

Second, maybe the lawmakers aren't so concerned about the smokers roasting themselves, but about others in the home who get toasted too, or the costs involved with putting out the fires and rebuilding the homes, which everyone else pays through taxes or insurance. Still, I have a tough time thinking this happens often enough to significantly impact the costs that the average guy must pay. Maybe the lawmakers want to keep smokers alive longer so they can pay more cigarette taxes :D .

But I can certainly appreciate being frustrated with things required by some stupid law that is passed in order to save the world. I remember when I was a kid and they moved the striker on a pack of matches from the front to the back to make them safer, I was mad about it; it made it take longer to go through the motions of lighting a match, and I didn't believe they were unsafe the old way.

I used to ski; haven't in years, but when Liam Neeson's wife Natasha Richardson died from her head injury and they started talking about passing helmet laws for all skiers, that made me very unhappy. If I ever ski again, I sure don't want to be saddled with some dumb helmet.

• Members
I used to ski; haven't in years, but when Liam Neeson's wife Natasha Richardson died from her head injury and they started talking about passing helmet laws for all skiers, that made me very unhappy. If I ever ski again, I sure don't want to be saddled with some dumb helmet.

Totally lame idea. Yes, skiing can be dangerous, but skiers hardly ever hurt anyone else.

The smoke thing - as a non-smoker I'm in favor of anything that can be done to limit the amount of second hand smoke I'm exposed to. Smokers have every right to enjoy their cigarettes, but they don't have the right to make me suffer for their pleasure.

• Members

they have cigs now that you dont have to light up, it has some powder stuff that comes out like smoke and some kind of thingy inside to give you smokers a dose of nicotine. it looks silly but then so does a real cig hanging out of your mouth.

• Members

for me it's just like the federal government to step in and try and control peoples rights.why don't they step in where it would do some good.how about with the oil companies and their record profits quarter after quarter.

to me this government is so currupt and our fearless leaders are only watching out for there pocketbooks and wallets.

we as the people who elected them need to hold them more accountable.how about every 6 months there is some form of accountability done where if they fall below a certain standard for a years period they are fired and replaced with the runner up.somehoe someway there they have to be abale to have accountability to and for the people who elected them.

• Members
THIS IS A BAD IDEA!!!

Bad idea or not, depending on the state in which you reside it's already been done. Not only are chemicals added but the paper has been changed too with thicker bands at intervals that will stop the cigarette from burning unless it is being actively smoked.

It's just the tip of the iceberg now that the Feds have control of all tobacco products.

• Members
Bad idea or not, depending on the state in which you reside it's already been done. Not only are chemicals added but the paper has been changed too with thicker bands at intervals that will stop the cigarette from burning unless it is being actively smoked.

I didn't know that. Interesting.

• Members

Funny, they have gone through the BS motions of suing, in the interest of smokers everywhere mind you, then they want more chemicals inserted! For those who cry about secondhand smoke, go fire up the SUV and take your kids to the soccer field, Mow your yard every 3-4 days, don't forget to water it every day so it grows faster, fart, breathe, then cry me a river!!!

Funny how the people who pay for the studies, with our tax dollars, always get the resuls they wanted isn't it?

• Members
Funny, they have gone through the BS motions of suing, in the interest of smokers everywhere mind you, then they want more chemicals inserted!

Good point. :lol:

Totally lame idea. Yes, skiing can be dangerous, but skiers hardly ever hurt anyone else.

The smoke thing - as a non-smoker I'm in favor of anything that can be done to limit the amount of second hand smoke I'm exposed to. Smokers have every right to enjoy their cigarettes, but they don't have the right to make me suffer for their pleasure.

I agree totally. I couldn't have said it better myself.

• Members

IMO it's a bad idea in that it's not going to be as effective as they seem to think it will be, but there are alternatives available for smokers who don't like the new ciggies (e-cigarettes or rolling your own, for example,) so I don't really see the issue. I think it's time for smokers to realize that, yes, the government is really cracking down on cigarette smoking as of late, and it's happening whether or not you agree with it and it's in the interest of public health, so if you want to keep the habit you are either going to have to suck it up or make some changes.

• Members

Synirr, just wait until they are monitoring your sex life and we'll see how your attitude changes! TOKEN BOY is not doing anything in the interest of humanity! Recall his present stand on the protests in Iran and the treatment of their people? Sound familiar to another scenario?

• Members
IMO it's a bad idea in that it's not going to be as effective as they seem to think it will be, but there are alternatives available for smokers who don't like the new ciggies (e-cigarettes or rolling your own, for example,) so I don't really see the issue. I think it's time for smokers to realize that, yes, the government is really cracking down on cigarette smoking as of late, and it's happening whether or not you agree with it and it's in the interest of public health, so if you want to keep the habit you are either going to have to suck it up or make some changes.

I'm sorry this has NOTHING to do with public heath it's about controlling your life and more tax dollars. I agree with Pappy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I agree with ya 12 gauge,

it is a bad idea.

all these lawyers nowdays are raking in the cash hand over hand for asbestos inhalation cases,

antidepressants, and bad diet pills.

When we smokers wind up with something, were told "tough shit, you knew the risks and did it anyways"

we pay through the nose for these taxes that go to pay for others medical bills, doesnt matter if its not even remotely connected to second hand smoke exposure or not.

we cant go into bars or resteraunts to light up.

hell, were not even allowed to smoke in our own cars!!

We are the first to get hit with any new taxes.

Never mind the fact that drinking and driving is way more dangerous to the general public than lighting up is.

How many people are put in danger because someone got behind the wheel after a few too many drinks?

People who live in these large cities inhale all the crap put out by the factories on a daily basis, and they are fine with it,

but the minute someone lights up OMG, its a criminal offense,

Seriously,

I get to listen and abide by congress passing laws and bills on handguns and firearms and ammunition.

Damn it, it is hard enough to put a meal on the table some days as it is.

Just because meat has gone up drasticlly in price.

I go out and shoot elk and deer to help fill in the gaps during hunting season.

Now they want to regulate that too.

when is this crap gonna end?

• Members
I agree with ya 12 gauge,

it is a bad idea.

all these lawyers nowdays are raking in the cash hand over hand for asbestos inhalation cases,

antidepressants, and bad diet pills.

When we smokers wind up with something, were told "tough shit, you knew the risks and did it anyways"

we pay through the nose for these taxes that go to pay for others medical bills, doesnt matter if its not even remotely connected to second hand smoke exposure or not.

we cant go into bars or resteraunts to light up.

hell, were not even allowed to smoke in our own cars!!

We are the first to get hit with any new taxes.

Never mind the fact that drinking and driving is way more dangerous to the general public than lighting up is.

How many people are put in danger because someone got behind the wheel after a few too many drinks?

People who live in these large cities inhale all the crap put out by the factories on a daily basis, and they are fine with it,

but the minute someone lights up OMG, its a criminal offense,

Seriously,

I get to listen and abide by congress passing laws and bills on handguns and firearms and ammunition.

Damn it, it is hard enough to put a meal on the table some days as it is.

Just because meat has gone up drasticlly in price.

I go out and shoot elk and deer to help fill in the gaps during hunting season.

Now they want to regulate that too.

when is this crap gonna end?

THANX 4 BACKING ME on this WW. And to a lesser degree Pappy as well.

I didn't expect much from the non smokers here and I was proven right on that count.

On the other hand Pappy once again was able to see through the lines and see things for what they really are and that is an affront to our civil liberties OR LACK THEREOF.

And as long as I'm on a roll I'm with Pappy here.....all you SUV drivers out there in your 8-14MPG sleds pissin' and moanin' about the oil companies huge profits think on this: THERE ARE HUGE OIL DEPOSITS just off the coast of the USA that could be developed BUT NO we have to import our oil from Haji and his buddies in the middle east, WHY??? RAMPANT AND EXTREME ENVIRONMENTALISTS AND THE PUKES in the govt that are in their pockets.

When was the last time a new refinery for making gas, diesel and engine oil was built in this country? Take a wild guess people. I sure as hell don't know but I'd bet I know why it wasn't......ENVIRONMENTALISTS!!! It's not just the shit-fer-brains politicians who are dragging this country down but the asswipe treehuggers who ARE NEVER HAPPY with whatever legislation they can strongarm and SHOVE DOWN OUR THROATS!!!

I'm with WhiskyWoman here once again...WHEN IS THIS CRAP GONNA END?!?!??

• Members

Not a smoker, and never have been, but I don't think the government has any business being involved in this at all.

It is between smokers and the tobacco companies. IMHO only.

• Members
12 Gauge, I think you just answered your own question.

No one has ever accused me of being real quick on the uptake but that sounded like a wise ass crack to me....UYB

• Members
Not a smoker, and never have been, but I don't think the government has any business being involved in this at all.

It is between smokers and the tobacco companies. IMHO only.

you sound like a smart cookie ohshelly

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
THANX 4 BACKING ME on this WW. And to a lesser degree Pappy as well.

I didn't expect much from the non smokers here and I was proven right on that count.

On the other hand Pappy once again was able to see through the lines and see things for what they really are and that is an affront to our civil liberties OR LACK THEREOF.

And as long as I'm on a roll I'm with Pappy here.....all you SUV drivers out there in your 8-14MPG sleds pissin' and moanin' about the oil companies huge profits think on this: THERE ARE HUGE OIL DEPOSITS just off the coast of the USA that could be developed BUT NO we have to import our oil from Haji and his buddies in the middle east, WHY??? RAMPANT AND EXTREME ENVIRONMENTALISTS AND THE PUKES in the govt that are in their pockets.

When was the last time a new refinery for making gas, diesel and engine oil was built in this country? Take a wild guess people. I sure as hell don't know but I'd bet I know why it wasn't......ENVIRONMENTALISTS!!! It's not just the shit-fer-brains politicians who are dragging this country down but the asswipe treehuggers who ARE NEVER HAPPY with whatever legislation they can strongarm and SHOVE DOWN OUR THROATS!!!

I'm with WhiskyWoman here once again...WHEN IS THIS CRAP GONNA END?!?!??

I don't keep up with refineries, but drilling companies are digging postholes every day! IDK how Mr. Tyger puts up with it in his area. I have a lot of friends who work in his area and they move about every week! There are a lot of new pipelines and compressor stations being installed here. My cousin is in charge of one of these. They are constantly adding on!

• 4 months later...
  • Members
for me it's just like the federal government to step in and try and control peoples rights.why don't they step in where it would do some good.how about with the oil companies and their record profits quarter after quarter.

to me this government is so currupt and our fearless leaders are only watching out for there pocketbooks and wallets.

we as the people who elected them need to hold them more accountable.how about every 6 months there is some form of accountability done where if they fall below a certain standard for a years period they are fired and replaced with the runner up.somehoe someway there they have to be abale to have accountability to and for the people who elected them.

A thirty caliber enema up their collective asses would be a good start for about 99.9% of our elected representatives.