Official Community Forums Home

Medical Speak

square

• Members

So when you're visiting the doctor, do you use terms like vagina, breast, penis, testicle, erection, etc., or more informal terms like cooter, boob, pecker, nut, boner, etc.?

I use the more formal terms, but I just about never use those in regular life, so speaking that way with the doc is a little strange and I have to think more ahead of time about what I am going to say.

• Members

I use the more formal terms. I feel very comfortable with my family doc. She's just a bit younger than me, and I've been seeing her for 15 years. I'll probably tell her about the TT site when I see her this fall for my physical.

• Members

My doctor and I are very familiar, as I have been asking her the most unusual and blatant questions for years. Anyway, we mix it up. I sometimes say pussy, sometimes vagina, always ass, balls, cock.....just my thing.

• Members

Take my word for it we've heard them all - most doc's don't care what terminology you use. What's most important is if you to feel comfortable with what you say/ask - so use what's most comfortable for you.

• Members

I couldn't imagine using anything other than correct medical terminology with my doctor. Besides the terms not being sexually charged, they are more precise and descriptive. And in the case of female anatomy (of which I don't have), even beautifully poetic:

Mons Veneris - Literally means the "mountain of Venus", goddess of love.

Labia Minora - "Little lips". These are also known as "nymphae" after the nymphs of Ancient Greece with their legendarily insatiable libidos

Fourchette - Bottom edge of the vaginal entrance, it literally means "little fork". It sounds cute. :)

And one I really dislike - Pudendal nerve. "Pudendum" in Latin means "place of shame". Seems a terrible moniker for the nerve that carries signals from the clitoris to the brain! I'd rather it be renamed "place of ecstasy". I'm no Latin scholar but I'd guess it would be extasum from the word "extasis", the root word of the modern "ecstasy".

• 1 month later...
  • Members

So when you're visiting the doctor, do you use terms like vagina, breast, penis, testicle, erection, etc., or more informal terms like cooter, boob, pecker, nut, boner, etc.?

I use the more formal terms, but I just about never use those in regular life, so speaking that way with the doc is a little strange and I have to think more ahead of time about what I am going to say.

I have always preferred slang names over proper clinical names. Penis just sounds soooo boring (no pun intended). Not that there is anything wrong with a boring penis. Penises are designed to bore...down.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to the dr. this week in fact. OMG! This lady was soooo rough! I almost told her to at least kiss me first! Holy crap!

Anyway, I use the correct terminology. I'm not sure if I will go back to this one, because I told her a couple of things, and she barely even acknowledged them, for example, vaginal dryness, and I don't think she spend enough time with me before we had the exam. She did cover my need for birth control fairly well though.

I know that they're busy, but they really should allot time for new patients to feel comfortable with them. I may go back to the man doctor I had. He made me feel comfortable, listened to me, though I wasn't overly comfortable when he did the exam (I've always had women doctors for that).

Just some stuff for me to think about I suppose.....