Official Community Forums Home

Hunting Or Murder?

Tyger

• Members

My tattoo says SWAN when it's limp, SASKATCHEWAN when hard!!! LOL! As for the testosterone isn't this R&R the place for this? And Howard you are correct on the Sedatenland and they took over Austria (for the SKODA munitions plant) then Czechoslovakia then Danzig which the Poles were not about to give up without a fight.They did make their stand close to Warsaw. I had to break the DVDs out and check out the facts. I wasn't real sure about which leaders had helped to broker the Sedatens. There was one major thing that I saw with all Italy, Japan, and Germany. All 3 of their leaders were saying to the people "Stop thinking and follow me. I will make you masters of the world"! There is good cause to never stop thinking if I ever heard one!!! I think we've all had a grim reminder of just how easy it is to bring devastation to us on our own soil!!!

• Members

I think a large part of the reason that the Global Warming issue is not open for debate is that our elected officials don't want everyone to know that we (Americans) are the worst contributors in the world. And it is very apparent from some forums I've seen on the net that people refuse to think for themselves so unless it's made public by someone they would follow blindly then they will never recognize the problems. It may never end completely but we could prevent a lot of it. I have no problem with defending what I believe in. But firearms are a last resort. There are many things I don't agree with but armed conflict would do nothing to change them. And not everyone sees things in a like manner. Remember the Wild West? No better than the current systems but it was decisive. There was usually a clear winner but that doesn't mean they were right!!!

• Members
I think a large part of the reason that the Global Warming issue is not open for debate is that our elected officials don't want everyone to know that we (Americans) are the worst contributors in the world. And it is very apparent from some forums I've seen on the net that people refuse to think for themselves so unless it's made public by someone they would follow blindly then they will never recognize the problems. It may never end completely but we could prevent a lot of it. I have no problem with defending what I believe in. But firearms are a last resort. There are many things I don't agree with but armed conflict would do nothing to change them. And not everyone sees things in a like manner. Remember the Wild West? No better than the current systems but it was decisive. There was usually a clear winner but that doesn't mean they were right!!!

LOL The wild west huh. Actually if humans are causing it then it has to be from the third world. The argument is that they cant clean it up because they have no money which is one reason they want us to give them money. It like welfare receipiants, I would have no problem using firearms to eliminate them ( I can say the same about pitbulls also).

Regardless, it not us causing it and I one of the biggest followers of GW news that I know of and many scientests are not in agreement. But they dont get the air time, just a few of them. Heck look at the recent GW gathering they just had. All these people trying to decide what to do and look what they arrived in. If we causing it, these people are the culprits and should be shot on the spot. In fact lets give them the death penalty and the faster they dead the less damage they can do. This means also haulting rice production, bcause rice growing contributes alot of methaine dispite the fact billions of people depend on it. We'll asia has alot of over population anyway. Also we should stop complaining about the freezing people out west who has no electricity. This is a blessing from the GW concerned Gods because without the electricity they can't burn fuel. This is what the greenies want us to have so lets enjoy it.

My faverite bit of news to conquer whis theory of GW which may be occuring( notice the MAY as it pops us in news stories), was from 2.5 years ago where they want to put up a glass bubble to surround the earth and shield they planet. No mention of where the sand would come from to create the glass but since we can not manufactor sand then we need to get it from the one source we can which is earth. I doubt there enough sand on earth to do it but it would definatly bring the world closer togeather as the world gets smaller physcially and the land masses disappear from our digging. My concerned would be the incoming tides coming to us in. Personally I in favor of doing away with the sun. What usefullness is the sun except for giving off life right? ???????

Oh btw, since I have inceased c02 production in my back yard from shooting c02 charged air pistols my garden is been might fruitful. Maybe they goverment grants from this GW hoax can be spent to figure out the effects co2 has on plants. Later it will be uncovered a mysterious text book lost in a basement at the library of congress that exposes that c02 is a necessary part of plant production that was kept secret by gardeners world wide and then a congressional investigation will have to be implemented to find out how this happened as elected officals scramble to hide their embaressment and pass the might buck of blame to someone else.

Glenn

• Members

The large part that I spoke of was in the way this country uses a large quantity of natural resources and even larger contributor to the pollution problem. I don't really keep up with the GP and all their demonstrations. If they had it their way my profession would be no more. But then they would have a hell of a time trying to get from point A to point B. Most every other country has taken steps to clean up their pollution but not this one. GP should really be sitting at the White House instead of picketing in the woods. There are hunters in them thar woods!!! And here in this state when we are off the grids we burn more and various fuels!!! We are actually trying to take advantage of the natural resource called wind here. Since there is nothing in Kansas to block those North winds except fence posts we get a lot of it. The latest trend is toward wind turbines to channel this in a positive way and find other alternative methods of getting what we need. Also I see no reason for us to avoid humanitarian efforts in other countries unless they are doomed to fail anyway. Now that this topic has headed the direction of shooting anyone who doesn't agree with me I think some here may want to look at who used this as a foreign policy in the 30s & 40s!!!!!

• Members

Okay so I'll try not to get too "ranty." I grew up and still live in northern Wisconsin: big hunting tradition. My dad and the rest of my family taught me to respect nature and enjoy it. One of the main reasons hunting is such a big thing in my family is for the bonding with each other, and the bond you get with nature. I love animals, I want to be a veterinarian, I hate hurting or causing death to animals when it is unnecessary. However, I do not feel that regret when I hunt. I feel that it is better that the animal die quickly, in relatively little pain than suffer a months-long lingering death due to Chronic Wasting Disease, or parasites, or suffer the fear and savage violence from a vehicle collision.

Yes, it is the fault of humans that the predators, such as wolves, were hunted nearly to extinction. That's why we have rules and regulations. That's why we have the responsibility of curbing the population before it becomes a danger to itself.

When I hunt, it is to 1. feed my family, 2. do my part to correct a problem, and 3. to connect with nature.

I get almost as much satisfaction when I get to watch an owl glide through the silent woods or watch snowflakes slowly fall. Or when I watch squirrels scamper about. Or when I got to see a pilated woodpecker, a rare species. I never, ever take a shot that I am not sure of. That was the most important thing that was drilled into my head. If your not sure, DON'T SHOOT!!! If you can only wound the animal, we do not shoot. If we miss, or for some reason, have only wounded the animal, we make an honest effort to make sure that it is not left to suffer and slowly die. If we happen to shoot a buck, we are happy. If we don't, it's not a big deal. The meat tastes better anyway.

The main thing to remember about hunting is balance.

• Members
Okay so I'll try not to get too "ranty." I grew up and still live in northern Wisconsin: big hunting tradition. My dad and the rest of my family taught me to respect nature and enjoy it. One of the main reasons hunting is such a big thing in my family is for the bonding with each other, and the bond you get with nature. I love animals, I want to be a veterinarian, I hate hurting or causing death to animals when it is unnecessary. However, I do not feel that regret when I hunt. I feel that it is better that the animal die quickly, in relatively little pain than suffer a months-long lingering death due to Chronic Wasting Disease, or parasites, or suffer the fear and savage violence from a vehicle collision.

Yes, it is the fault of humans that the predators, such as wolves, were hunted nearly to extinction. That's why we have rules and regulations. That's why we have the responsibility of curbing the population before it becomes a danger to itself.

When I hunt, it is to 1. feed my family, 2. do my part to correct a problem, and 3. to connect with nature.

I get almost as much satisfaction when I get to watch an owl glide through the silent woods or watch snowflakes slowly fall. Or when I watch squirrels scamper about. Or when I got to see a pilated woodpecker, a rare species. I never, ever take a shot that I am not sure of. That was the most important thing that was drilled into my head. If your not sure, DON'T SHOOT!!! If you can only wound the animal, we do not shoot. If we miss, or for some reason, have only wounded the animal, we make an honest effort to make sure that it is not left to suffer and slowly die. If we happen to shoot a buck, we are happy. If we don't, it's not a big deal. The meat tastes better anyway.

The main thing to remember about hunting is balance.

Right you are!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Also take a second to think about what your brain will do when/if you point a firearm at a human being. Every thought of right and wrong will cause hesitation so if you are not dead set on taking that life please do not bother arming your attackers! Even an untrained criminal is capable of logic and he will likely know you will hesitate. They do have a 50/50 chance of (winning?) if you can call it that!

• Members

what really bothered me one year was when i was driving home and I saw a deer hung, and have skinned, on the side of someones yard for all to see. sad, gross, and disrespectful.

• Members
what really bothered me one year was when i was driving home and I saw a deer hung, and have skinned, on the side of someones yard for all to see. sad, gross, and disrespectful.

My grandma got new neighbors 10 or so years ago who would hang their kill in the front yard by the street to do this shit. Just happened that my grandma's chair and all was set right at that window where she could see only that mess. She tried for years to get them to sell the place so she could burn it down. They would throw any unwanted parts in the yard for those nasty inbred pitbull mix mutts that they are so fond of to drag around the neighborhood. Usually she would find them in her yard or have to pick them up out of the alley. I would have thought the town had something against part of it at least but nothing was ever done to them. Even after constant cussing and complaining they never changed a thing. She finally sold her house and moved to another rural area but that is what I have seen of the type you speak of here!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

And here my dog has a ribcage from my last deer out in the front yard to pick at as he pleases. But then again, I'm smack dab in the middle of 43 acres. If my neighbors are freaked out by it, it's because they came up my 1/4 mile long driveway to see it, and if they're gonna do that, well, fair's fair. My yard, my dog, my carcass, my business. Giving him scraps saves a bloody fortune in dog food, too!

I am a certified pistol safety instructor. (Have I mentioned that before?) I have a background in tactical self defense. I am also disabled. I have no means of retreat should one of those evil bastards that Howard speaks of chooses me. I have several different means of self defense at my disposal, and I have the training to use any or all of them should it be necessary. A bad guy isn't going to wait while I get out my cell phone and dial 9-1-1. They're generally not that polite.

The best advice I ever saw was from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". The bathtub scene where one guy was in the tub and the other one came in through the swinging door, pistol in hand. The bathtub guy pointed his pistol back at swinging door guy and started telling him about how long he's waited for this opportunity to shoot him. So Swinging door guy puts one in his chest and says, "if you're gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk". Best scene in a movie, ever, and couldn't be more true to life when it's you or him. Make damned sure it's him.

• Members

I hate to be the buzzkill here but I would kind of like to get back to the hunting thing. It is my opinion that if people could see how people like me view hunting, alot of the negativity sorrounding (how do you spell that?lol) the sport would be eliminated. Granted there are people who are and always will be appalled by the idea of killing animals for any reason. However, there are too many people who only hear about he slobs and idiots in the hunting community. The rest of us tend to suffer because of the actions of these people. I work at a sporting goods store, and these people are easy to spot. They're the ones who love to brag about how big their deer was or how many ducks they shot over their legal limit. They ask to handle the firearms we have for sale and scare me to death with how they handle them. Any comments made are met with replies of "It's in the store so I know it isn't loaded." I don't care if it's loaded or not. IT IS NOT FUNNY TO POINT IT AT MY FACE. Give it back and get the hell out of my store.

I now live in an apartment in the middle of the city. Because of this, I now hunt very little due to freezer space. When I did hunt I was taught to shoot only what you could effectively kill with one safe shot. I was taught to never, ever leave a wounded animal. I was taught to respect the animals and thank them when you took their life to provide yourself with food. The one area that I am flawed here is that I do hunt coyotes which I do not eat. I hunt in areas that overpopulation is threatening livestock, pets, and in some cases people. The pelts are given to liscensed fur dealers and that is really all that is used so far as I know.

I guess my real point is that if possible, I think alot of us would love to see the idiots and kill happy hunters out of the picture. I do have to disagree with Howard, however, that a person has the right to refuse people to hunt on their land without fear of reproach or hard feelings from neighbors. However, I have never been to Maine and attitudes may be very different there than they are here in Kansas. Howard seems to have been there before if not even lived there, so my apologies if this truly is the case in that region. I view these areas where hunting is prohibited as good for the sport in general. They allow sanctuary for animals to reach maturity. They can keep poachers/idiots/assholes from destroying the number and quality of game. Also, many people who do not allow hunting will allow their neighbors to shed hunt and study sign, letting them know where game moves when entering or leaving the property. The only time I get irritated is when they prohibit local hunters but then accept money to allow out of state hunters access. However, I do believe that it is, in the end, the owner's choice and I have nothing but respect for their decision.

Now that I've ranted a little, and voiced my opinion alot, I want to ask a question. Has anyone here ever jerked fish. If so what species, recipe, methods, etc. did you use?

• Members

I have heard of fish jerky but have never tried it. I'll check the NAFC site a bit later and see if there is a recipe there.

• Members

Here in Kansas the Wildlife and Parks department stocks our streams and certain waters with Rainbow Trout during the winter months. I can't help thinking that trout would make some very tasty jerky.

• Members

I PMed a list of links to you on the jerky. There are many more if you GOOGLE trout jerky recipe.

• Members
YOu can dry trout, but I don't think you can jerk it. The flesh is too soft, and delicate to stay together during the jerking process. Drying tends to concentrate flavors, but trout has so little flavor, I cannot believe it would be worth the effort. Trout tastes like what you put on it. Butter, salt pepper, and lemon are the most common. Enjoy them as a fresh fish meal, an jerk something else.

Howard

LOL well I agree if you cam get a grip on that slimmy slippery thing.

Glenn

• Members
Thanks for the list. Looks promising.

There were well over 3,000 hits on the search I did. Sorry but my fishing club site is undergoing renovation! I highly recommend the beer batter recipe though. And another tip I've found with Bass and Catfish is to fillet them and run them under the hottest water you can get using something to press the fillets to the bottom of the bowl to remove dirt, oils, and much of that game taste from the fish. I use two large mixing bowls with the fillets in between. Rinse and repeat 6-8 times and this also helps to toughen the meat and at least partially boils it. Hope you find one that you like!!

• Members
There were well over 3,000 hits on the search I did. Sorry but my fishing club site is undergoing renovation! I highly recommend the beer batter recipe though. And another tip I've found with Bass and Catfish is to fillet them and run them under the hottest water you can get using something to press the fillets to the bottom of the bowl to remove dirt, oils, and much of that game taste from the fish. I use two large mixing bowls with the fillets in between. Rinse and repeat 6-8 times and this also helps to toughen the meat and at least partially boils it. Hope you find one that you like!!

I'll have to try that since I like catfish, but never cared for the battered way of frying. Fish makes a great breakfest food in the morning.

Glenn

• Members
I'll have to try that since I like catfish, but never cared for the battered way of frying. Fish makes a great breakfest food in the morning.

Glenn

Just so we are clear on this and noone tries to eat the fish this way, I do this then bag them for the freezer or straight to the skillet. If you don't like the batter I would recommend baking with butter, lemon, beer or any combination of preferred accompaniments. Howard, I was terribly disappointed to read about you buying fish! SHAME!

• Members

At least you take it in stride! I've never thought myself to be the best fisherman but I've had some luck at least. In keeping with the way I was taught we normally take one or more kids with us and they keep me pretty busy. Most of the time my line is in the water and one of them catches a fish I get to watch my line jerk as I am removing the hook or bait theirs. One of my favorite fishing partners of all of them is my gf's then 4yo niece. We took her and her brother to a friends pond that I know has many big fish in it. She took to me immediately and walked through the chest high weed and grass with me. Her brother was with my gf. He was jumping and screaming because of the grasshoppers but she never showed one bit of fear. That little girl brought in fish after fish while her brother caught less than half of what she had. She is now about to hit her teen years and asks every time we see her if we can go fishing again. If we do she better learn to bait her own hook and release her own fish cause I want to catch one or two myself. My own daughter bought me one of those sim fishing games for my birthday about 8 years ago and said that I needed the practice to keep up with her. Needless to say, she doesn't get to fish with me anymore! LOL!!!

• Members

Cranberrys huh? I have to try that but it sounds pretty gourmet and delicious. Give me more reason to make fresh cranberrys. Easy to make, 1 part suger to 1 part water ( a cup) and then add 12 ounces( usually bagged that way by dole)of cranberries as your water/suger syrup starts to come to a boil. Just simmer. I have a few ways to spice it up.

I never thought about it but battering then freezing would be alot easyer and less messy at cooking time. That what the fish places do, pop a frozen fillet in the batter then toss it in the deep fryer.

I cook catfish all kinds of way, I even ate it smoked once and it was ok that way too. Not as good as mullet but still good. Depends on the species, I think flounder and grouper tatse good broiled and catfish and snapper I like fried

Wiskeywomen: I have several cook books on fish recipes, most the ones for trout are sea trout but there lots of ways to do it without lemon and butter.

Tell you what let me make a topic for fish recipes and we can share some ideas on it

Glenn

• Members
It's hunting season most everywhere. I don't mind that. But what set me off this time, was that I saw a deer, or what was left of one, on the side of the road, without it's head. It was obviously CUT off (not ripped like a truck could possibly do), and the deer was a buck. Maybe, just maybe, the deer was hit, and the person took the head. But, if it was hit, why not take the whole thing? Not only was it callous, but gruesome as well.

Tyger,

Here in Texas it is illegal to move a deer that has been hit by a car without the premission of the TPWD. It's also illegal for someone to do what you must have seen which would be to take the head or any other part of the deer. In most cases where deer have been hit by a car the meat is so bruised and bloodshot that it isn't edible. Along with that goes the fact that depending on how long the deer has been dead the meat migh very well be spoiled. I'm not defending whoever took the bucks head but just trying to supply you with some of the facts concerning these things.

I've been a deer hunter for a long time but other than the ocassional quail that's all that I hunt because that's all that I like to eat. I'm a hunter and not a killer and I have the utmost respect for the animals that I harvest. If the day ever comes when I take an animals life and don't have some feelings of remorse and sadness then that will be the day I hang it up.

• Members

It's been a while since I was in your neck of the woods and didn't hunt while I was there. Here in Oklahoma when you hit a deer there is always going to be some usable meat that the OHP will ask if you want to donate the deer to needy people. I don't know about you guys but if a deer hits my car and tears it all to shit it is going to be eaten by somebody. No sense letting it go to waste with all the hungry people around. I'd be more worried about lack of a good freeze this year more than bruised meat. But mounting roadkill is just about par for the idiots who just can't pass it up. I bet he'll tell his buddies that he made the shot of the decade to get it too. I hope there is car paint stuck on the horns! LOL!!!