Official Community Forums Home

How Many People Would Do This?

kellijane1

• Members

Ok, so Saturday night, I went to the grocery store. When I came out I saw a huge dent in my car with scratches and my passenger rear door handle was ripped off. Someone hit it while I was in the store and didn't leave a note. Luckily, My insurance is going to pay for it, so I'm not really upset, but I just don't understand why people would do that. So I was just wondering if you guys would leave a note, or not. Be honest, there is no judgment here. Have a great day everyone.

Always and forever,

Kelli

• Members
Ok, so Saturday night, I went to the grocery store. When I came out I saw a huge dent in my car with scratches and my passenger rear door handle was ripped off. Someone hit it while I was in the store and didn't leave a note. Luckily, My insurance is going to pay for it, so I'm not really upset, but I just don't understand why people would do that. So I was just wondering if you guys would leave a note, or not. Be honest, there is no judgment here. Have a great day everyone.

Always and forever,

Kelli

That really sucks. My car gets dinged up from time to time and NO ONE, not even ONCE has ever left a note. So in answer to your question, a lot of people I guess.

Nuri

• Members

This happens to me ALL the time, the side of our van looks like it has been to the war! That is why last month when it was very windy and my car door flew open and dinged a car door that was next to me, I waited. I thought that guy was going to faint when he saw how honest and upset I was about denting his door. He was so touched at my honesty that he took my information, but I have yet to hear word one about it from his insurance. He told me he wasn't going to report it, and he didn't! HONESTY PAYS!

• Members

Happened to me once to! People get scared shitless and just drive off, they dont want to deal with police, insurance so they do the immature thing and RUN!!

Happened to my sister once to, but they were nice and left a note!

• Members

So far I haven't hit anyone's car - *knock on wood* - but I think I would be too scared of getting caught if I DIDN'T leave a note! Someone is always watching!

• Members

It happens all the time, its ridiculous really. Did you check to see if the parking lot had cameras?

some do. You never know they may be able to find whoever it was!! I would be really upset too

I can't afford to have someone hit me I would not be able to get it fixed.

• Members

That is just too bad. I would never walk away If I was ever responsible.

Last Friday at aound mid morning at my local shopping center, I was parked and ready to back out. A car came around me to park next to me and smashed really hard into the car that was parked two spots from me. I noticed it was a young lady. She reversed her car and this time parked in the spot first intended. She got out of her car and walked towards the store, I was so angry that I got out and asked her if she thought it was right to just walk away. She gave me a really dirty look like I was doing something wrong. I ran past her towards the security booth and reported her. I showed them her car and the damamged that she had done to the other car. They said that they would wait for her to return and waited by her car.

I just dont believe people sometimes.

• Members

I've had this happen a lot to my own cars. I am an old school line of thought guy who only buys old cars/trucks that I know how to work on. I don't see any reason not to wait or even seek out the owner of a vehicle that has been damaged by negligence on my part. Though I have never caused any I would definitely wait or actively seek the person out. One pisser in the whole thing is that your ins. will probably go up now that you have sought payment for this. Regardless of fault it is still a fact that ins. companies are a for profit venture and will use this to raise your rates or even drop you altogether. I have been dropped for filing a claim on the hail damage on one of my cars.

• Members

I think that is sickening that people would not wait when damaging another person's car. It is called a hit and run. It happened to my Mom's mustang at work. A coworker of hers smashed into the passenger side, so that the door was crunched in and jammed. Apparently, the woman got out to look at the damage to HER car, and then drove off. Thankfully, a security guard saw the WHOLE thing and got the police there ASAP. The woman had to pay the deductible for the mustang, even though Michigan is a no fault state, because she fled from the scene.

I too have accidentally hit someone. I was backing out of a rather tight space and dinged another car at like, 1 MPH. It looked like I left a rather large dent, too. I went into the store again and had them page the owner of XYZ vehicle. Turned out the dent had already been there, though he was glad I was so honest.

I would stay, personally.

The SAME YEAR I got my new car, someone was going up the "down" aisle, at Wal*Mart, tried to get into the parking spot next to me, with a HUGE van, and of course, scraped the driver's side bumper on the corner. Of course, my car is new, and expensive to fix. I was shocked when I came outside and she was still there! Actually, she had someone else driving her van to try and avoid doing anymore damage to my car. I was kinda irritated that this happened, but we exchanged info, and there's a body shop on the way home, where I got an estimate, and, when I was walking in my door, her insurance company called! I was impressed. Not sure if she had really been intending on staying, since I caught her, but she seemed nice enough, and extremely apologetic.

I now park as far from the door as comfortably possibly (weather permitting). So there's less chance of someone dinging my car.

• Members

This happens to me ALL the time, and on my new car makes me even more mad. I would wait for the person and if they were taking to long I would leave them a note with my phone number etc.. I have never understood this and I will never be able to, but I am sure if it was there vechile then they would want some to leave them a note or something. The nerve of some people.

• Members

I would stay. I would be too scared to leave because of being found out later. If I did leave, the guilt would probably eat away at me for a long time. Its best to deal with things honestly right off the bat instead of running away. Altough I would be absolutely terrified while waiting for the owner to come. :(

• Members

There is ABSOLUTELY nothing to fear in being an honest person. Although some people cannot or will not ever see it, there is a reverence in being up front and honest in our everyday lives!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Of course there's nothing not to fear with being an honest person, but in a circumstance like this... What if that person has anger issues or is just a flat out jerk? I'd just be terrified of an altercation taking place over it. But my imagination runs away with me and I tend to worry about improbable scenarios.

Aside from that, kids get scared when they do something wrong or break something on accident, and even when you get older those feelings don't go away. Its like "Oh no, I did something and now I'm trouble!"

• Members

I had the same thing happen to me one time at Home Depot. I came out and was loading up my truck and a guy walks up to me and said"I'm going to make your day". I thought he was selling something so I replied kinda sarcastically " oh ya, hows that?" He hands me a piece of paper and said that this is the lady that just hit my truck. It was on the lower part of the quarter panel and I didn't even notice it. 2 hours later the cops were in route to the lady's address. She admitted to it and got a hit and run with property damage and her insurance paid up. You never know who is watching and you reap what you sow.

I feel for you Kelli

Bugs

• Members

I agree this is bad BUT you should try riding a motorcycle through a parking lot , or any other place. If you drove a semi like I do and spent as much time on the roads as I do you wouldn't wonder how this happens. You would Not believe what people are doing that share the road with you at 80 or 90 miles per hour. I'll give you a hint IT'S NOT WATCHING THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
I had the same thing happen to me one time at Home Depot. I came out and was loading up my truck and a guy walks up to me and said"I'm going to make your day". I thought he was selling something so I replied kinda sarcastically " oh ya, hows that?" He hands me a piece of paper and said that this is the lady that just hit my truck. It was on the lower part of the quarter panel and I didn't even notice it. 2 hours later the cops were in route to the lady's address. She admitted to it and got a hit and run with property damage and her insurance paid up. You never know who is watching and you reap what you sow.

I feel for you Kelli

Bugs

I'd say you were very lucky there. A 3rd party getting involved is possibly more likely than the offending party sticking around!

• Members
I wish I could be as relaxed about the entire situation as you were; but, honestly, if all that happened to my car AND no one left a note, I'd be livid. So, yes, I'd definitely leave a note if I couldn't wait.

About 3 months ago, someone cut open the roof of my convertible and stole the CD/MP3 player out of my car as it sat in our well-lit driveway. All I could do was shake my head when I looked at my car. They needn't have cut the top-- the door was unlocked for that very reason. So it cost me three times the amount of the stereo (without insurance) to make the repairs. I wasn't happy at all about that. :angry:

I can't say I had that happen with our convertible but have had it with T-tops, moon-roofs and sliding-back glasses. It's a damned shame that they find it more convenient to destroy your property while stealing it. I know here they will tear it up worse when there is nothing worth stealing! It's happened to all three of our rental properties too! I found a used needle in one house so I called the PD and asked them if a cop could come and get it. They told me to stick it in a pop can and take it to the nursing home for disposal. I would have had to drive all the way across town with this thing and I KNOW FOR A FACT that no cop would believe that if I told him. BTW, I hope you fixed the car before the weather had the chance to make things worse for you!

• Members
I agree this is bad BUT you should try riding a motorcycle through a parking lot , or any other place. If you drove a semi like I do and spent as much time on the roads as I do you wouldn't wonder how this happens. You would Not believe what people are doing that share the road with you at 80 or 90 miles per hour. I'll give you a hint IT'S NOT WATCHING THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IDK about the semi thing but I know all too well about the bike thing. Most people who don't ride would never think of looking for a bike. They can even see you coming and will still do something goofy. I've had a guy hit me from behind while sitting in the turn lane at a red light, (both of us were stopped and he just stomped the gas and ran into me), another guy was leaving a BBQ/party when I had my neighbor girl on the back. He paused long enough to make me believe that he had seen us coming then started a left-hand turn in front of and stopped 3/4 of the way into my lane. Although I had time to react, locked up the rear brake and leaned to the right to avoid him which we did successfully, but when I pulled back out of it to get back in the traffic lane there was a 67 Cadillac parked on the street which we did hit. I caught the drivers side rear fin right in the ribs as we hit it and it flipped her clear over the hood of the car. We were really lucky that those people chased down the guy that had caused it and made him return but when he got to me his first thought was to offer me a shot of the Jack Daniel's that he had been nipping at all day. If I could have stood properly I would have beaten the ^&*( out of him. The Cadillac owner had seen the whole thing and made the guy pay for his repairs as well! Had those people been in the back yard when this occured I have no doubt that the guy would never have stopped at all!