Official Community Forums Home

I Hate Hospitals!

whiskeywoman

• Members

So earlier this morning, I had an appointment to get my truck fixed.

It needs a new serpentine belt and to have the brakes checked.

I had an hour or two to spare before going to the shop, I figured, now is an awsome time to go get water for the animals, not too hot, and while I am watering them, I will feed them too.

So I load up the 150 lb tank, climb up in the bed, flip the tank over and turn it the right way.

I begin pulling it foward so I can get the valve conected and put the lid back on.

I took a step back and met air.

Lemme tell yalls something, the coyote lies, there is no hang time in the air, you just fall straight down.

There is no time to hold up a little sign that says "Oh shit, I am gonna feel this."

When I fell, I landed on both feet, but my foot found a sinkhole.

I bent both knees, and when I did, I felt something pop.

So I have spent about 4 or 5 hours in teh ER.

The doc twisted my knee and made it do all kinds of un natural tricks.

In case no one is aware of it, the leg is not meant to snap, pop, grind or squish,

nor is it supposed to sit NEXT to the knee cap.

Good news is, it ain't broken.

Bad news, I have to see an orthopedic surgeon monday.

They think I dislocated the lower halfof my leg from my knee.

So now I am going to have an MRI done, possibly a scope, and the very real possibility of surgery to replace torn cartalidge.

I have been to 5 differant stores to find a pair of crutches.

The knee immobilizer they gave me is for crap, it keeps down, mainly due t the swelling going down.

So much for my exercise routine.

Anyways, I think I am gona go take a pain kiler, and lay on the couch and veg for a bit.

thanks for letting me vent.

Wow! What kind of cheezy hospital did you go too? I've never heard of a hospital that doesn't give crutches in cases like this! Even when my mother twisted her ankle, they wanted to give her crutches. And the hospital here is really low-quality for the most part! Wow!! I'd be worried that they let you go without relocating your leg/knee too. I'm sure that could cause high amounts of undo pain! I'd go back to a different ER and get a second opinion, cuz this hospital just doesn't sound like it knew what it was doing!!

I hope you feel better soon!!

• Members

Whiskey, I'm so sorry! I think that ER messed up big time! They should have taken care of things right away. And they should have had crutches for you. Rest up, and take it easy. ((HUGS))

• Review Team

Whiskey,

I sooo feel your pain. It sounds like you went to the local ER here! I tore up my knee awhile back and it is amazing how badly a knee can hurt. I wish you a speedy recovery!

• Review Team

Yikes, honey! Sorry you got hurt :( Hope they fix that soon. My knee hurt just reading that!

• Members

Unfortunatly, we only have 1 hospital in town.

the next nearest hospital is an hour away.

The hospitals no longer give out crutches, we now have to buy our own.

Luckily I had a walker that belonged to my grandfather.

That is how I managed to get to the truck and into the house.

Getting in the house and back out is a bit trickier than I had thought.

I don't think I am gonna be doing any driving any time real soon.

So now I have to figure some way to feed and water the animals.

This really sucks big fat rotten goose eggs...

• Members

Well, I know why they had you wait until Monday to see the surgeon. Massive swelling happens in injuries like this, and the swelling has to go down a bit so they can see breaks or fractures along with muscle damage. However, NO crutches? Um, are they 'du-pid?' I mean, what if you did something REALLY serious to it - you are gonna walk on it?

I know from personal experience (like many of the fellow posters) that knee injuries hurt like hell and no way should you be walking on it! When I hurt my knee a few years back, they took the MRI and X-rays and had me wait a few days to see the surgeon for the aforementioned reason. However, they gave me crutches, kick ass pain pills and told me not to walk on it!

I am sorry you got hurt - I hope for your sake you don't need surgery! Take care hon!

• Members

Oh my god, I was in pain just reading about what you went through.

Hope you have better luck with the ortho surgeon.

Take care..

• Members

OH love I am so sorry! I wrecked my knee duringa show a couple of years ago, nothing as bad as you but I know how bad it hurts. Leg up, hopefully they at least gave you some fun drugs. If you need a laugh feel free to let us know!

• Members

Ice, rest, elevate it and Ibuprofen...up to 800 mg every 6 hours. That is the best thing for now. I'm sorry the hospital didn't give you the crutches, that's a load of crap. Get better soon...Best of luck, TNT

• Members

I hope they gave you the type of brace that has the inserts that can be frozen or nuked at least. I think they should have given crutches also since you can bet that bill will be high anyway they may as well give you everything you need to take care of it until you get to another doctor. At the very least they could have told you where to get some at.

I never have figured out why doctors love to twist and pull on joints that have been twisted already. An X-ray will tell them a lot more than twisting and pulling.

• Members

I feel for you girl. I've had more than my share of issues with both knees from torn cartilage to tendons and it hurts something fierce at first and then very,very gradually gets better.

Stay off of it all that you can and ice it well especially for the first few days. I know it doesn't help any but if I was close enough I'd take care of your animals for you. Wish that I could.

Rest and get well soon.

Man