Official Community Forums Home

Calling Out Someone Else's Name...

sugarlips

• Members

Ok, so my current "relationship" is in the new stages, and a bit complicated. Not getting into the details of that.

The other night in the heat of the moment he called out someone else's name. He immediately caught it, appologized, covered it by saying how early in the morning it was, implying that he wasn't fully awake, and we moved on. Neither of us has brought it up since. Considering our situation, I'm not really hurt by this. But I do find myself pausing occasionally wondering if it will happen again. Has this happened to anyone else?

You know, these things can happen. This is why, my rule of thumb is that, when I started a new relationship, I'd say "baby, OMG, or the infamous OH YEAH!" :D It wasn't that I wasn't into the new guy, but, out of habit, saying a man's name, other than the one I was with then, would be bad. :P

My ex husband, while we were dating called me Melissa, which was his ex's name, that he'd broken up with to be with me. My name's Meaghan, and he said it was the "M" thing that threw him, though he never said that when we were having sex. He did it twice in one day, and needless to say, he didn't do it again after that.

Chances are, it was an honest mistake, especially if your names sound similar, or if he broke up with the girl a short time ago. It's a habit he's got to break. If it continues, then I'd be worried about it, but, unless he's an insensitive ass, I don't think it will because he'll be making sure that he stays away from her name, especially at that point! LOL

• Members

I have been lucky that I have never called out anyone elses name and the same thing they have never called out a different name either.

• Review Team

I have never done that, or had that done, but I have worried about doing it before and used the method Tyger mentioned to prevent it.

It would depend on the situation, and you say yours is complex, so I would say if it was an honest mistake, and you can see how it happened, then let it go.

• Members

I've only been intimate with two men.... my first one liked me quiet.... my second likes me vocal (can't help it with him!). However, because my second was so new after a relationship of about a year and a half, I had to concentrate on the name.... I apologized in advance if I ever have and he said he probably wouldn't notice anyway, and that he knows I don't mean it... such a good guy.... :rolleyes:

• Members

Well since I have a crazy habit of hooking up with guys named adam, it's not too much of an issue for me unless by some freak chance I'm with someone named something else I do like Tyger and stick the "Oh yes" "oh God" and such non-discript things.

If its teh ex, and the break up is recent I'd be okay with it. If it's teh ex and the break up was three years ago and he hasn't seen her or hooked up with anyone since, I'd worry a little. But since I don't get the feeling that this is the case no worries. Now if you'd be together a while and he randomly popped off with someone's name, games are over for teh night. and he'd have a hell of a lot of explaning to do.

• Members

Thanks, that pretty much re-affirmed my thoughts. It was the ex, we do have somewhat similar names (dani, dawn), and it is a VERY recent break up. So, I don't blame him at all, and I do try not to think about it. Most men in my past have been so quiet that having someone so vocal is new and exciting for me. I guess it just caught me off guard a bit.

And God - I've spoken YOUR name aloud many times!!

• Members
I usually call out my own name. (I'm that good!) ;)

You rock! I love that you have these one liners LOL!

Well I would literally CHOKE my H if he did that to me! but in your case, again since it is new, it could have just been a slip. I actually slipped and said someone's name during sex one time it was like I got distracted by my thoughts. I wasn't fantasizing about someone else or anything. It was an issue on my mind that involved that person. So who knows!

• Members

We've never had that problem before (he's quiet during sex, and I'm completely incoherent), but a close friend of mine had that happen. Like with most of the stories mentioned by everyone else, it was early in the relationship, and their names were very similar: his ex's name was Alli, and my friend's name is Ashlee. Then fought about it, but she forgave him, because given the way the beakup with the ex had gone, there was no question that he was over Alli. Luckily for him, he never did it again.

• Members

Never had it happen to me. I think it would halt the action, tho. <_<

• Members
We've never had that problem before (he's quiet during sex, and I'm completely incoherent), but a close friend of mine had that happen. Like with most of the stories mentioned by everyone else, it was early in the relationship, and their names were very similar: his ex's name was Alli, and my friend's name is Ashlee. Then fought about it, but she forgave him, because given the way the beakup with the ex had gone, there was no question that he was over Alli. Luckily for him, he never did it again.

I agree with the incoherent part. That is me most of the time. Though the times I can speak I have never done it. He has never done it either which is a good thing. It definitely would be a mood killer for sure.

• Members

Would you rather me making love to you using his name or making love to him using yours?

Bull Durham

I've never had it happen either way, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt this time considering the circumstance you mentioned.

• Members

Imangine my suprise to find out I have been shouting Iha's name the entire time!! *hee*hee*

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Not during sex, its never happened...

But during an argument with my GF it has happened...Which only inflamed our argument...Not hat I was thinking of my Ex, just the heat of the moment as I was somewhat accustomed to arguing with my Ex...Old habit I attributed it to...

• Members

Not during sex, its never happened...

But during an argument with my GF it has happened...Which only inflamed our argument...Not hat I was thinking of my Ex, just the heat of the moment as I was somewhat accustomed to arguing with my Ex...Old habit I attributed it to...

Ouch! So not good. Hope you patched things up with her afterwords.

• Members

Ouch! So not good. Hope you patched things up with her afterwords.

Yes, things were patched, and she was understanding due to the heat of the moment...

• Members

Does "Mom!" count?