Official Community Forums Home

So Discouraged

vanilla_bean

• Members

So I've been working on my fitness pretty hard for the last five months or so. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and really work as hard as I can. In the last month or so I've added a spin class (really challenging), a boot camp class (almost kills me) and a yoga class each once a week. I also go for hour long walks with a friend whenever we can both swing it which varies between 1-5 times a week. Oh yeah, and lots of sex :)

Today I had my monthly weigh in, measurement check. In the last 5 months I've gained a couple of pounds and some of my measurements have increased. WTF! And it's not because I'm gaining muscle. My body fat percent has increased too. Oh, and my blood pressure was the highest it's ever been.

My diet hasn't changed either. I'm pretty careful about what I eat - far from perfect, but pretty healthy.

I have been working so hard and I just wanted to see some results. I've been in a bad mood all day over this! Thanks for letting me rant!

• Members
So I've been working on my fitness pretty hard for the last five months or so. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and really work as hard as I can. In the last month or so I've added a spin class (really challenging), a boot camp class (almost kills me) and a yoga class each once a week. I also go for hour long walks with a friend whenever we can both swing it which varies between 1-5 times a week. Oh yeah, and lots of sex :)

Today I had my monthly weigh in, measurement check. In the last 5 months I've gained a couple of pounds and some of my measurements have increased. WTF! And it's not because I'm gaining muscle. My body fat percent has increased too. Oh, and my blood pressure was the highest it's ever been.

My diet hasn't changed either. I'm pretty careful about what I eat - far from perfect, but pretty healthy.

I have been working so hard and I just wanted to see some results. I've been in a bad mood all day over this! Thanks for letting me rant!

Hey babe!

Look don't let it discourage you, no matter what teh scale says your doing the healthy thing of being active! Have you thought about talking to a personal trainer on setting up something that works for better for you? Or your doctor on maybe there's something different that you need to do? Or even better yet, put off all the dieting and do what makes you happy. I'm sorry i've been a slacker workout buddy. if you need anything love I'm here!

Suzy

• Members

AW that sucks! What is your diet like?

• Members

Forget the scale. All that excercise is doing you good.

Over the summer I got out the bike and did a bunch of riding, mornings before work and weekends, anywhere from 5 to 25+ miles, plus a quick dumbell/pull-up/push-up/sit-up routine. The bike trip computer would tell me how many hundreds of Calories I burned off, 5 or 600 sometimes.

I didn't lose one stinkin' pound. I ended up getting hungrier and just eating more. But I felt pretty good; in better shape then I'd been in a long time.

• Members

Hey sweetie pie please don't let it get to you...theres nothing wrong with some curves,its always

better to have something to hold onto...then women that post articles in cosmo telling other

women they have to be skinny...the old hollywood standard...perfect example,would be

Britney Spears at the vma awards a while back...hollywood was overly cruel towards her telling

her she was fat...in reality she looked sexy and hott with curves,I would be happy with that...

Its normal for blood pressure to change everyday,if you check it after eating a meal,it will show

high,check it before eating breakfast,it will change...stay away from fried foods,fast foods,and salt...salt is bad

It could also be genetic...my aunt is thin,eats salads,goes swimming,exercices, and she has blood pressure

issues because of genes ...you just never know

For a week check your pressure everyday and watch your diet see if the numbers go down,sometimes stress adds weight too

If your numbers start to go down out of danger level then you just have to watch your diet,eat healthier...

If your worried ,you might want to see a doctor,you have only one life...

As far as the few extra pounds,if you are happy and your husband thinks you look sexy don't worry

about what other people think...don't let it stress you out,just be happy...I'm sure your husband loves you

no matter what...

• Members
Hey sweetie pie please don't let it get to you...theres nothing wrong with some curves,its always

better to have something to hold onto...then women that post articles in cosmo telling other

women they have to be skinny...the old hollywood standard...perfect example,would be

Britney Spears at the vma awards a while back...hollywood was overly cruel towards her telling

her she was fat...in reality she looked sexy and hott with curves,I would be happy with that...

Its normal for blood pressure to change everyday,if you check it after eating a meal,it will show

high,check it before eating breakfast,it will change...stay away from fried foods,fast foods,and salt...salt is bad

It could also be genetic...my aunt is thin,eats salads,goes swimming,exercices, and she has blood pressure

issues because of genes ...you just never know

For a week check your pressure everyday and watch your diet see if the numbers go down,sometimes stress adds weight too

If your numbers start to go down out of danger level then you just have to watch your diet,eat healthier...

If your worried ,you might want to see a doctor,you have only one life...

As far as the few extra pounds,if you are happy and your husband thinks you look sexy don't worry

about what other people think...don't let it stress you out,just be happy...I'm sure your husband loves you

no matter what...

It's nice to hear from a man who doesn't mind a little extra weight. Sometimes it doesn't seem to matter how hard I work, the weight just doesn't change. Thanks for the words of encouragement to all of us.

• Members

Cut down on any/all weight bearing exercise your doing, increase all cardio non weight-bearing exercise, and if you can hire a nutritionist to go over your diet with you.

It would be better for you to eat 5-6 very small portions through out the day, than 3 square meals. And for goodness sakes, DON'T skip meals, you'll just throw off your metabolism, and your body won't burn it's fuel effectively.

• Members

Hi Ms. Nilla~

Sorry you are discouraged after all the work, but I am sure you are healthier now then you where.

Do you feel better physically? Mentally? Exercise always makes me feel better.

I lost some weight during my divorce, (crying and throwing up, not something I recommend)

I lost almost 30 lbs. I thought I looked pretty good by the time my weight leveled out.

Sweetguy never said anything until after we where together for awhile and I had put 15 lbs back on.

He said I looked a little to thin before and he liked me better curvy. So, curvy I am. I feel good, too.

Just went to my annual check up on Thursday, and the Doc. asked me if I had any concerns. I said

'um, my weight?' and he said not to worry, I looked good, all my tests looked good, and if it didn't bother me,

it sure didn't concern him. What a guy, I love my doctor!

Everybodys body processes food and exercise differently. Everybody carries their weight differently. What is right for one person

isn't right for everyone. If you feel good and your doc isn't concerned, enjoy your workouts and the extra energy you get from them.

• Members

Vanilla,

I feel your frustration. I've been going to the gym 4-5 times per week (I don't have time to do all the other classes and things that you do.) And have had almost the same results. Blood pressure can fluctuate. Did you have something a little higher in sodium that day or the day before you went for your physical? I've talked to a lot of people and their main response was if I felt any differently. I do. My classroom is on the third floor. I used to be gasping for breath by the time I reached the top with my laptop and bag of correcting. Now, I don't. I have noticed that my thighs aren't fitting as tightly in my pants as they used to. Also, someone told me too that I since I alternated cardio and weight/toning machines, that I stick with just cardio. But, I've noticed the firming of that underarm swing a bit, as well as the inner thigh area, so I'm reluctant to give it up. I know this post is all over the place, but I guess it mimics my thoughts on it.

• Members

I think you're great for having the resolve to be out there and exercising. I certainly don't have the drive to go out of my way to get fit. I'm fortunate that I have a decent metabolism still and that I work a job that sends me walking the equivilant of several miles per day. Still, you body acclimates and plateaus at what you're used to doing. So that 7 or so miles of walking I do in a day keeps me right where I am weight wise. It wasn't until I made a change to my diet that I started losing a significant amount of weight.

My wife is the best cook ever. No, really. And we eat pretty squarely with some extras every now and again. My biggest change was switching from regular pepsi to Diet Pepsi Max. Within the course of a few months after that switch I lost 20 pounds. Sometimes it just takes one change.

I would take a long hard look at the way you eat. There are tons of products out there that are marketed as "healthy" but if not used right can help you gain weight instead. Protein bars and shakes are along these lines. People often times think they're better off eating those than a small candy bar. Look at the calories on both of those things. Many protein bars calorie-wise are like eathing a whole meal.

Just a few thoughts.

Randy.

• Members
Vanilla,

I feel your frustration. I've been going to the gym 4-5 times per week (I don't have time to do all the other classes and things that you do.) And have had almost the same results. Blood pressure can fluctuate. Did you have something a little higher in sodium that day or the day before you went for your physical? I've talked to a lot of people and their main response was if I felt any differently. I do. My classroom is on the third floor. I used to be gasping for breath by the time I reached the top with my laptop and bag of correcting. Now, I don't. I have noticed that my thighs aren't fitting as tightly in my pants as they used to. Also, someone told me too that I since I alternated cardio and weight/toning machines, that I stick with just cardio. But, I've noticed the firming of that underarm swing a bit, as well as the inner thigh area, so I'm reluctant to give it up. I know this post is all over the place, but I guess it mimics my thoughts on it.

The other reason you don't want to stop doing resistance training all together is that muscle burn calories when you use them (for everything) and the more muscle mass you have teh higher you metabolism will be. Now don't think that I want to see you looking like one of those creepy muscle ladies, but firming up what you have (and reducing under arm flab, toning your tummy, and prevent thigh rubbing) will speed up your metabolism and as long as you don't eat more then you'll be fine.

Good luck love! And BTW I'm sure you look fantabulous!

• Members

I've been trying to lose weight since I was 10 years old and haven't been able to lose more than 10 pounds... even then it came back in a few months.

Diet, exercise, the whole bit. I decided to go to my doctor to be checked for hypothyroidism. The hormone imbalance could explain why I can't lose weight, am tired all the time, and why I get so emotional.

If you haven't been talking to your doctor through all this, it might be in your best interests.

• Members
I've been trying to lose weight since I was 10 years old and haven't been able to lose more than 10 pounds... even then it came back in a few months.

Diet, exercise, the whole bit. I decided to go to my doctor to be checked for hypothyroidism. The hormone imbalance could explain why I can't lose weight, am tired all the time, and why I get so emotional.

If you haven't been talking to your doctor through all this, it might be in your best interests.

Have you ever tried cutting back on carbs? It totally worked for me! I felt just like you before... I need to start up again! I lost 45 pounds and kept it off (well... between pregnancies :rolleyes:) For 6 years! I have recently gained 10-15 back so I need to get cracking!

• Members
Have you ever tried cutting back on carbs? It totally worked for me! I felt just like you before... I need to start up again! I lost 45 pounds and kept it off (well... between pregnancies :rolleyes:) For 6 years! I have recently gained 10-15 back so I need to get cracking!

See I personally love my cereals and pastas too much. And a sammich? MMMMMM

• Members
See I personally love my cereals and pastas too much. And a sammich? MMMMMM

EVERYONE, including me, says that! But when you don't even have to exercise, and you are consistently loosing 2-3 pounds per week... It is way sweeter than anything! Now if only I could get back at it.

• Members
EVERYONE, including me, says that! But when you don't even have to exercise, and you are consistently loosing 2-3 pounds per week... It is way sweeter than anything! Now if only I could get back at it.

LOL Nah I actually enjoy working out, so if that allows me some pancakes, then I am all for it, lol.

• Members
Hey babe!

Look don't let it discourage you, no matter what teh scale says your doing the healthy thing of being active! Have you thought about talking to a personal trainer on setting up something that works for better for you? Or your doctor on maybe there's something different that you need to do? Or even better yet, put off all the dieting and do what makes you happy. I'm sorry i've been a slacker workout buddy. if you need anything love I'm here!

Suzy

Suzy is right - you've been getting active and healthy. Don't look at the scale. Its a major major negative. you need to concentrate on the positives and just excited when that pair of jeans fits again. If you get too caught up on numbers it can be crushing and miniscule details like that will eat you alive. Take the kudos that you are DOING IT! Its hard enough to get there, so hats off to you missy!!!!!

• Members

I feel your pain sista!

I lost 20 pound immediately when I started exercising, then it just.....stopped. So, I did the logical thing and upped my cardio and weight time. The scale stayed put. My clothes got a little bit looser, but for the most part, stayed the same. Stopped my weekly Starbucks runs (or got no fat), added 15 minutes to my eliptical time, amped up the weight liftings. Stayed the same, and then gained 5 pounds. I am like, what the fuck??? I get up mega early, go work out for an hour and the frickin' scale is going to deny me? Helll naw. Called the doctor, went in, and she said I am not eating enough. Yep, my body is burning calories but retaining fat cause I am burning more calories than I am taking in at an extreme. So, I started eating a wee bit more and started loosing weight again.

My best advice, keep exercising, you aren't doing your body any harm, and then eat a little more, writing down everything you eat and calculate the calories.

Good luck!

• Members
I feel your pain sista!

I lost 20 pound immediately when I started exercising, then it just.....stopped. So, I did the logical thing and upped my cardio and weight time. The scale stayed put. My clothes got a little bit looser, but for the most part, stayed the same. Stopped my weekly Starbucks runs (or got no fat), added 15 minutes to my eliptical time, amped up the weight liftings. Stayed the same, and then gained 5 pounds. I am like, what the fuck??? I get up mega early, go work out for an hour and the frickin' scale is going to deny me? Helll naw. Called the doctor, went in, and she said I am not eating enough. Yep, my body is burning calories but retaining fat cause I am burning more calories than I am taking in at an extreme. So, I started eating a wee bit more and started loosing weight again.

My best advice, keep exercising, you aren't doing your body any harm, and then eat a little more, writing down everything you eat and calculate the calories.

Good luck!

You must have been PISSED! That makes sense though. Your body can go into "starvation mode". Where it stores fat in desperation. Eating smaller meals throughout the day, doing strength training and watching your carb intake probably would be the perfect solution. Now if I could just practice what I preach! LOL

• Members
Don't forget it's not just how much you eat though, but what. Lots of protien is good for you too!

I think the recommened amount is still around half a gram per every two pounds of body weight, if your real active you need alittle more. Max is still around 1 gram per pound.

I shocked at the recommenedations people follow for 2 to 3 grams per pound, talk about excessive. Body can only handle 20 to 25 grams at one time, more then that ends up washing away in the urine. Of course to much over time can result in extra fat and kidney stones to name a few.

I think the best way is to excercise well, gets lots of rest( you need lots of rest or you will not gain or lose), and eat well. I personally go by the fitting of the cloths. My wife hasn't lost much weight over the past year( a pound or two) but she dropped a few sizes . Some days here lots of sag and other days things look abit less then there was a week prior. It amazing how the body can change daily in it shape.

Glenn

• Members

Bean just keep at it whether the scales tip either direction. You will be healthier, feel better, and somewhere in there you will arrive at your ideal wieght. May not be the one you are striving for but it's better to get comfortable with a healthy body than an underweight, starved one.

• Members

A womans weight changes all the time,water build up,then during a period her weight

changes thats what makes women so special each woman is so unique and precious,a few

pounds isn't worth the stress...toyqueen agreed with me too,I love her she is so down to

earth,she is her own person she doesn't let hollywood get to her...stress can actually make

a person gain weight...if your stressed about 5 pounds,stress can add 4 more,now its 9...

Life is short,keep active with exercise,throw away the scale its probably wrong anyway...

just keep having more sex and get eaten more so you will feel better,the stress won't

even be a factor anymore...

• Members

I've tried it. It really killed my metabolism so I was too tired even with 10+ hours of sleep.... I love my pasta and bread too, so kinda fortunate that it didn't work too well for me....

• Members
I've tried it. It really killed my metabolism so I was too tired even with 10+ hours of sleep.... I love my pasta and bread too, so kinda fortunate that it didn't work too well for me....

It's not your metabolism... I don't think. At first the diet kind of makes you feel sluggish. Once you get into the habit, after a couple weeks it changes. I mean I had WAY more energy! I felt great! The lack of carbs did me a world of good! It's hard to be patient but it really worked wonders for me!