Official Community Forums Home

Ocd Moments

angelkisses98

• Members

OK so, you know how your going about your daily routine and all the sudden it hits you? "damn, thats just a bit OCD" so, I was wondering whats yours??

I will start...when hanging cloths, they have to be hung a certain way..when my hubby helps, if he doesn't do it just so, I will take the cloths down and re-hang them...When folding towels, they all have to be folded the same exact way, all the creases have to be the same way, and when I put them away, they have to be all lined up, in the same direction, all the creases down the line.

• Members

I'm right there with you with the clothes. No one else can do my laundry, I throw a huge fit.

I also have issues with having my bookmarks (internet) organized a certain way. I drive my boyfriend crazy because I'm always moving his favorites around putting them in the right section. lol

Guest eminatic

i think i mentioned this to a few people in the chat already but...

-everything that im wearing NEEDS to be even. i freak out REALLY bad if socks, sleeves, the little metal adjuster thingy on brastraps etc are not EVEN. or sometimes if they dont FEEL even i freak out

-when walking on a sidewalk the number of lines or cracks that i pass over with my left foot must be even with my right foot, but i must always END with stepping over a line on my LEFT foot. the same thing applies to multi colored tiles.

-i have certain sets of...patterns that i need to do if i think of a bad thought. i get it the most at night, and cant fall asleep, or sometimes im REALLY tired but dont want to go through doing all of it so i stay awake instead. i was getting better a few months ago but now i seem to be getting worse as i now get it more throughout the day when im driving or doing other stuff.

-i only eat or drink at exact times during the day, and get really upset if it is thrown off.

-i almost always decline hanging out with anyone because it will throw my pattern off for the day.

those are the big ones and thats all i can think of right now but there are probably more that i dont notice lol :D

• Members
I will start...when hanging cloths, they have to be hung a certain way..when my hubby helps, if he doesn't do it just so, I will take the cloths down and re-hang them...When folding towels, they all have to be folded the same exact way, all the creases have to be the same way, and when I put them away, they have to be all lined up, in the same direction, all the creases down the line.

I used to be just like that but I work so many hours now that when hubby helps I'm just grateful....I had to let go of alot of that towel folding pickiness or else I'd be working 24/7. My main ones now are mostly at work....I can't stand to have something left undone....finish the job before you move onto another and don't leave a trail behind.

• Members

I have to go to the gym at 5 am. If I can't make it that time, I don't go.

I fold towels a certain way and will refold them if someone else does the laundry and folds them differently.

I make my bed every morning as soon as I get up. I won't get in an unmade bed with wrinkly sheets.

I won't let anyone else clean the bathroom. (I don't think they do a good enough job.)

There are some others, but they are fairly common like dishes in a certain order on a hutch.

• Members

MY KITCHEN!!! All of my mugs have the handles facing the say way and at the same angle. All of my boxed food is group by type then further by size and still further by flavors. My cans all are stacked the same way, labels forward. THey get organized into vegetiables, and again by color, then by perfence and again by size. Repeat for soups, canned pastas anything that comes in a can. DONT get me started on my spices.

PS everything has to be rotated, first in first out.

• Members

I double check locks. Even if I know I've locked my car, house, door, I end up going back.

• Members

My OCD moments only happen at work. I work in retail and have a gift for merchandising and I get very irritated when the product isn't properly grouped, properly profiled, properly spaced, and full looking. Otherwise, I'm a slob. *nodnod*

Randy

• Members
I make my bed every morning as soon as I get up. I won't get in an unmade bed with wrinkly sheets.

I won't let anyone else clean the bathroom. (I don't think they do a good enough job.)

Yup, that too!

• Members

Me too. It drives me nuts.

• Members

I had to REALLY think on this one and then it hit me. My daughters outfits have to match if we go out. I just have this need for them to match. Then I wonder why people think they look like twins... :rolleyes:

• Members

Everything I have needs to be in an even number. Even when I was little, if my sister gave me 5 skittles, she knew I would either give one back or ask for one more. Having them be an even amount of each color is also there, but not as important as it being an overall even number (or I'll just look at two yellow, one blue, one green and realize they are all related on the color palette)

Certain things must be symmetrical. Mostly actions.... If I scratch the left side of my nose, I have to scratch the right side too.

When I am in restaurants, if I am paying too close attention to the table settings, I have to move them so they are perfectly lined up straight to the table and other plates. (I was at a restaurant with my SO and I moved the plates so they were more even... he decided to move them back again to screw with me. Then he mentioned how the sugar packets weren't straight, so I had to fix those.... then the waitress came over and took the sugar and brought it back all messed up..... Andy CRACKED UP.... the poor waitress had no idea what was going on...xD)

But, most objects don't need to be straight.... just have to be in an "ok" position.... have to look right...

I once got in my father's car and shut the door but it just didn't FEEL like I shut it right. I had to ask him to pullover so I could fix it.

When things aren't right, my hands and legs feel weird... like I don't know what to do with myself, so I fidget WAY more than I should.... and I get constant chills.... I get it from my mother (several addictions she's recovered from) and my father (mild physical turrets)

• Members

Interesting post.

My food can't touch. Ever. I eat each food separately, usually in the same order; meat, vegetable, starch (potato, rice, pasta. etc.) For this reason, I love those divided plates. Watching people each food that is all slopped together nearly makes me gag.

I often lock and unlock all of my doors eight times. Eight seems to be a "magic number" for me. Whenever I'm nervous about something, I will count in eights (steps, breaths, blinks, swallows, etc.)

While shipping, I need to line up the boxes according to size/shape. I like the rows to be even and straight.

I find that when I am stressed, these traits come out more; the more I do them, the less stressed I feel. Does anyone else find that to be true?

• Members

Oh man, do we have enough space on the board for this??? OK, I will give a few:

(1) Every night I check every window and door in the house. Every one. Every night.

(2) I can not go to sleep if there is any mess in the house. Not even mess, more like things out of place. Once I was in the middle of sex afterglow wondering if my hubby put the whipped cream we were using away. I went naked to the kitchen to check.

(3) I iron my t-shirts, towels, sheets and my kids clothes. Even if they are just hanging around the house.

(4) I have to drink a half frozen, icy bottle of water before I go to work out, one during my workout and at LEAST a total of 5 bottles a day.

(5) I eat my breakfasts in rotation. A 3 day rotation, it never varies.

(6) My children have specific coat hooks, and if they reverse them, I have to move them back.

(7) my cabinets are alphabetical order

(8) I have a wipe board on my freezer, all the things in it are listed. When something comes out, I have to erase it from the list. Add when we shop.

(9) I vacuum twice a day, everyday. I have a mini-vacuum to vaccuum my vaccum's filter. I do that between vaccuming.

(10) I mop my kitchen floor every night.

(11) I clean my bathroom daily, scrub the tub every 3 days

(12) My books (and my children's books) are all stacked by height, largest to smallest

(13) My recyclable containers are arranged in alphabetical order: cans, cardboard,glass, paper, plastic

(14) I 'remake' the bed every morning, even though my hubby makes it

(15) When I grocery shop, I arrange my cart in zones: boxed goods, cans, frozen foods, delicates (chips, bread) and I bag it as such

(16) If a lightbulb burns out, I HAVE to change it. Now. Can't wait.

(17) I disinfect my counters every night. Even though they are clean, I disinfect them. I also disinfect all the toys 3 times a day.

(18) My poor kids, when we do window clingers for the holidays, I let them put them on, but move them when they go to sleep so they are even and look appealing. I am sorry boys!

(19) I try, REALLY try, to get every leaf off my lawn when it is fall

(20) My table chairs at my table must be even and put in

Oh I could go on and on and on....

• Members

(1) Every night I check every window and door in the house. Every one. Every night.

(2) I can not go to sleep if there is any mess in the house. Not even mess, more like things out of place. Once I was in the middle of sex afterglow wondering if my hubby put the whipped cream we were using away. I went naked to the kitchen to check.

(3) I iron my t-shirts, towels, sheets and my kids clothes. Even if they are just hanging around the house.

(4) I have to drink a half frozen, icy bottle of water before I go to work out, one during my workout and at LEAST a total of 5 bottles a day.

(6) My children have specific coat hooks, and if they reverse them, I have to move them back.

(8) I have a wipe board on my freezer, all the things in it are listed. When something comes out, I have to erase it from the list. Add when we shop.

(9) I vacuum twice a day, everyday. I have a mini-vacuum to vaccuum my vaccum's filter. I do that between vaccuming.

(12) My books (and my children's books) are all stacked by height, largest to smallest

(13) My recyclable containers are arranged in alphabetical order: cans, cardboard,glass, paper, plastic

(15) When I grocery shop, I arrange my cart in zones: boxed goods, cans, frozen foods, delicates (chips, bread) and I bag it as such

(17) I disinfect my counters every night. Even though they are clean, I disinfect them. I also disinfect all the toys 3 times a day.

(18) My poor kids, when we do window clingers for the holidays, I let them put them on, but move them when they go to sleep so they are even and look appealing. I am sorry boys!

And the winner is.... :lol:

• Members

"My little penguine always faces Due South." (from movie Misery)

I double check locks. Even if I know I've locked my car, house, door, I end up going back.

Me too, and car headlights, even when I see the switch is off. In college, I'd end up going back up 3 or 4 flights of stairs to make sure I locked the room door on my way out. Every once in a while I'd find it unlocked, so I could never get out of the habbit.

I'll go around the car and check every door lock. My wife (girlfriend at the time) would mock me for this. Then one time my folks took us out to dinner, and after getting out of the car they checked every car door to make sure it was locked; wife gave me a funny look.

Dollar bills gotta have presidents facing the same way.

When I get home from work I go through the house to make sure the water pipes aren't leaking, faucets off, and some other things.

To this day I sometimes find myself avoiding stepping on sidewalk cracks and joints, something left over from kid days (the "step on a crack, break your mother's back" thing).

Shirts gotta hang facing to the right so I can reach in with my right hand, pop the top button, and get them off the hanger easily.

My wife has to always wear socks unless she has sandals. Wears socks to bed. Wears socks during sex. Wore socks giving birth. Wears sox in the hospital while getting wheeled off to surgery. Her first worry is not dying on the operating table, but whether she'll be allowed to wear socks. And they just about NEVER match.

. . .

Wowwww . . . Can I clone you to take care of my house? (I'll still keep my wife for sex and company)

• Members
My OCD moments only happen at work. I work in retail and have a gift for merchandising and I get very irritated when the product isn't properly grouped, properly profiled, properly spaced, and full looking. Otherwise, I'm a slob. *nodnod*

Randy

I know exactly what you mean. I was a very demanding boss, but it alway paid off.

• Members

Ok to start my bathroom need to be organized very specifically,

my closet is categorized by subject,color and season

Same with shoes

same with purses

same with clothing drawers

My bed needs to made in a specific manor

All pictures and decorative items have an exact place

All doors need to be closed in and out (we have a lot)

my refrigerator has a VERY spicific order, which I'm always fixing

my spices are alphabetized (don't mess with them, I'm a cook)

my pantry is categorized by use

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT MESSING WITH MY KITCHEN

And that just the tip of the ice burg.... I haven't even really begun to touch the surface. I'm not paralyzed by my ocd, but it all gets done....... :wacko:

We aren't even going to get into the cleaning thing......

• Members
Interesting post.

My food can't touch. Ever. I eat each food separately, usually in the same order; meat, vegetable, starch (potato, rice, pasta. etc.) For this reason, I love those divided plates. Watching people each food that is all slopped together nearly makes me gag.

I often lock and unlock all of my doors eight times. Eight seems to be a "magic number" for me. Whenever I'm nervous about something, I will count in eights (steps, breaths, blinks, swallows, etc.)

While shipping, I need to line up the boxes according to size/shape. I like the rows to be even and straight.

I find that when I am stressed, these traits come out more; the more I do them, the less stressed I feel. Does anyone else find that to be true?

you would die if you ever say my MIL eat!! i wanna toss my cookies half the time...she just literally makes it into a pile of mush and eats it

• Members

i do that when i grocery shop to..my hubby just tosses it up on the belt and lets me do mything

• Members

Mikayla, we would get along famously. You can visit any time. The food thing is a little different though, i have seasonal breakfasts, not a 3 day rotation.

• Members

I don't think any of you could stand being roommates with me. I'm pretty laid back about stuff, but I do have a couple of issues that I've had to work on. I used to have an anxiety thing about always having enough paperclips at my desk, but I'm over that. I have some issues with 90 degree angles, but it doesn't get in the way of anything. My current thing is over washing my coffee mug at work. I have to do it a certain way even when people start lining up behind me. I get a bit anxious about the people behind me when that happens. Oh, and of course.....public bathrooms! I can't stand touching anything in them.

• Members
Interesting post.

My food can't touch. Ever. ... For this reason, I love those divided plates. Watching people each food that is all slopped together nearly makes me gag.

I need to line up the boxes according to size/shape. I like the rows to be even and straight.

I forgot about the food thing! I can't have my food touch. My SO is really understanding about that. He joked with me once about it and put food together on my plate (he was the head of the table at a camp dinner one night) and he saw the discomfort in my face. Now he makes sure to keep them apart for me.

And size and shape, yes. My books HAVE to go from biggest to smallest... drives me crazy when they are odd dimensions....

And yeah, I get stressed with it... they help reduce stress for me too.