Official Community Forums Home

What Do You Think Of The Social Sites?

Some studies have shown (so I've heard) that social/networking sites such as Facebook & MySpace have cause much jealousy/distrust in many a relationship. So, I was wondering if you feel like that?

Personally, I don't care either way that my hubby has both Facebook & MySpace. I created his accounts, so if I really really wanted too, I could "spy" on him. I don't. When I do sign on to check his sites, it's to clean them up, or do something he's asked me to do.

IMO, if you are so insecure that a site like that makes you distrust your SO, it may be time to re-evaluate your relationship.

Give us your thoughts.

• Members

No jealousy here, he doesn't have a facebook or anything like that. He says he barely has the time to do the thing he wants to do and doesn't want to add to his to-do list.

• Members

They arent my thing. I can see why people like them though but they seem so time consuming.

If my SO had accounts (he doesnt he thinks they are silly) I'd be wary if he didnt like me looking or tried to hide things.

I dont have many friends at all but I figure if I was meant to I'd be talking to them IRL rather than on the web.

I have an issue with people posting pics too, especially when I saw a couple of my own children, I'd rather I was asked for permission before my kids were posted on the web.

• Members
Some studies have shown (so I've heard) that social/networking sites such as Facebook & MySpace have cause much jealousy/distrust in many a relationship. So, I was wondering if you feel like that?

Personally, I don't care either way that my hubby has both Facebook & MySpace. I created his accounts, so if I really really wanted too, I could "spy" on him. I don't. When I do sign on to check his sites, it's to clean them up, or do something he's asked me to do.

IMO, if you are so insecure that a site like that makes you distrust your SO, it may be time to re-evaluate your relationship.

Give us your thoughts.

I agree with your statement BUT!!! I will tell you that I know a ton (A TON!!) of people who have hooked up with old flames on Facebook. It can be very tempting, talking about old times and then BAM the spark is renewed. I think it is a question of personal boundaries! You just have to be guarded and stick to your values!

Even if you are in a wonderful relationship, you can still be tempted! I will vouch for that personally! B)

• Members

I do not use Myspace or Facebook or any other type thing.

My wife uses them a fair bit, but I have no trust issues with it. She also text messages a ton, yaks on the cell and regular phones, e-mails, chats, visits forums, and goes out on the weekend to the bars and clubs with her pals till the wee hours, while I stay home with the kids (and sleep . . . ah . . . sleeeeep . . . ). I am not too worried about any of it.

• Members

For me it a online photo album and an outlet for family news. Since I control who has access to my facebook it allows me to keep in touch with old friends and family. I have co-workers, people from church, childhood friends who I can trace back to first grade and kindergarden and alot of people from the neighborhood. It not used for dating and looking for anything else. I have myspace but I think facebook gives me better control over who has accrd to information. I have a few people on it I know from here.

• Members

My wife and I both have a FB and Myspace and, I don't know about her, there is no distrust for us. I do talk to one of my old exes on FB all the time, so does my wife and she doesn't care, mainly because my ex is married with a child.

My other ex who I broke up with because she was literally obsessed with me (I'm not kidding, it was on the verge of stalking) that tried to friend me on both of these sites I ignored.

I absolutely adore Facebook tho. I have been talking with family and friends, which I used to see once or twice a year, on a nearly daily basis.

• Members
My wife and I both have a FB and Myspace and, I don't know about her, there is no distrust for us. I do talk to one of my old exes on FB all the time, so does my wife and she doesn't care, mainly because my ex is married with a child.

My other ex who I broke up with because she was literally obsessed with me (I'm not kidding, it was on the verge of stalking) that tried to friend me on both of these sites I ignored.

I absolutely adore Facebook tho. I have been talking with family and friends, which I used to see once or twice a year, on a nearly daily basis.

generational thing..... what do you think

• Members

We'll if anyone on here wants to get on my facebook just let me know you know me from here and I add you, Glenn Baker in Jacksonvillee Fl ( right now my pic has me and my wife dressed as women with a kid looking like Scooby Doo). If you don't tell me you know me from here, I may not add you

My wife is considering the facebook, as a teacher she paranoid about her students finding her. I told her there was security, the only students on my facebook are relatives or those who were once students of hers in the Phillippenes. Two of which live near by I find out here in Jacksonville.

• Members
Ya, Ladylove. A lot of it is a generational thing. I notice most people on here that are older than me (not "old" but older) hate FB and myspace.

Dude, I am 40 and I love it! I have both! Most all of my friends are around my age, give or take and love FB too... so I have to disagree there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm on FB and so is the wife. She's asked questions about people she didn't know but that's it. She can talk to whomever she likes. Not an issue with me. I HATE all those stupid games though. Don't play any of them.

• Members

On both FB & Myspace and makes no difference to me if my SO has an account. I trust him so why would I care. Temptation is everywhere. An online social network is no different than a barrista at a coffee shop or a coworker.

I actually laughed when we changed our status on FB to in a relationship with one another. Sometimes the drama with status updates are just plain funny.

• Review Team

Hubby and I met through My Space, so yes, real relationships can and do come from such sites. We both still have accounts on there as well as FB. We don't mind the other having those sites. Trust is trust and either we trust each other or we don't. If we didn't, the online stuff would seem more "safe" than hanging out with friends, or whatever, so I don't think it matters. That's just me, though. I know there are some different temptations online, I guess because it can seem less real, but again, Hubby and I have trust, so that's all that matters to me.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I'm gonna modify my view a bit. While I still don't have any trust issues with the wife using them, I have come to view the social sites, as well as the proliferation of text messaging, as a big time waster that cuts into chores around the house getting done, which can be kinda frustrating.

(On the other hand I have no life, so I do get some entertainment value out of tales and drama from facebook or the texting world that the wife shares with me.)

• Members

Personally, I dont care for FB. Too much information is put out there. Though restrictions may be added, then whats the use.

I have an account on FB, though I ignore it most of the time. I do follow my children on it however, or I'd close the damned thing! cool.gif

• Members

Personally, I dont care for FB. Too much information is put out there. Though restrictions may be added, then whats the use.

I have an account on FB, though I ignore it most of the time. I do follow my children on it however, or I'd close the damned thing! cool.gif

395951_584799280905_51402767_31886020_2043944714_n.jpg

• Members

395951_584799280905_51402767_31886020_2043944714_n.jpg

Yeah I remember that table...It wasnt so cool during my stay though...:blink:

• Members

I also have an FB account. I had 2 of them at one time--one for personal and one for a business I had at one time. I have since closed one of my accounts.

Personally I like to call most of the people on my Facebook account "Fake Friends".

Some of the posts these people write are hysterical----(as in, they really have WAY too much free time !)

I don't care if they are waxing their floor or making jello ! Some people like to give a blow by blow account of each thing they are doing at any given second.

Now if they were really describing some awesome "BLOW BY BLOW" for real....well then--it would make it much more fun to read !!! :rolleyes: But, unfortunately Facebook is supposed to be G rated :(

I prefer reading TT then Facebook.....

• Members

I look at it this way, if your already a jealous type of person and you already feel like you need to know everything about you SO and everything about everyone they know, then yes, facebook is going to cause trouble. Otherwise, take it for what it is, just another place for people to be immature and ridiculous, like a bar only they don't serve booze.

• Members

I agree that if you are a jealous person it will cause trouble. No matter what the media outlet the person is using. As some of you know thankfully I have a very trusting relationship. Hell he goes on and flirts in fun with friends of mine on here and in person. I know it is harmless and that he truly cares about me. Yes I also think that jealousy is also fueled by insecurities or low self esteem. Probably when my self esteem was very low this would have bothered me tremendously. I have had different ones that have flirted back and forth with him come to me and ask me if I minded as they didn't want to upset me. I told them not at all because at the end of the day I know he is with me. He is just a fun loving guy. They were shocked. We are comfortable in our relationship.

• Members

They could be a stalkers paradise (until the stalkee wisens up and sets thier settings to private and then your fun's over <_< !) I can totally understand the type of exhibitionist feelings that might propel people to want to put all of their pics and blurts out there, but ultimately I am waay too private of a person to want the masses to have access to my private life. If you could keep your account limited to JUST the small circle of real life friends that you want to share with that would be great, but I know that most people will get friend requests from damn near everyone that lives in their town that remotely knows what you look like and how to graciously turn them down can be draining. If I want anyone to see or know my stuff I will personally phone, talk to, or email them. (mostly because depending on my mood I can easily get carried away and post or blurt something out that I might come to regret later lol! and at least the people who REALLY know me would know not to take it as gospel!)

• Members

They could be a stalkers paradise (until the stalkee wisens up and sets thier settings to private and then your fun's over <_< !) I can totally understand the type of exhibitionist feelings that might propel people to want to put all of their pics and blurts out there, but ultimately I am waay too private of a person to want the masses to have access to my private life. If you could keep your account limited to JUST the small circle of real life friends that you want to share with that would be great, but I know that most people will get friend requests from damn near everyone that lives in their town that remotely knows what you look like and how to graciously turn them down can be draining. If I want anyone to see or know my stuff I will personally phone, talk to, or email them. (mostly because depending on my mood I can easily get carried away and post or blurt something out that I might come to regret later lol! and at least the people who REALLY know me would know not to take it as gospel!)

My page is to private and the only people I have on there are people that I would not mind sharing things with whether on the computer, via phone or in person. Some of the people on my FB are from here as well but they are people I have gotten to know overtime. I just deny the request. That is my right and if they get offended that is on them and shows that due to their immaturity about things that I wouldn't want them on my page to begin with.