Official Community Forums Home

Schools

nosleepnmesa

• Members

Friday the 1st my daughter was at school a whole 15minutes before I recieved a phone call to come get her. She was in PE where the boys and girls play togeather and they were playing Hockey at the time. The call stated, " Your daughter was hit in the face with the hockey stick." I arrive at the school to find my daughter's lip split really good and her complaining about her teeth.

I took my daughter to the dentist and thank god all her teeth were in tact. :D Then we were off to the Emergency room to get her upper lip stitched up and mouth. Needless to say I called the school District and I was informed that Hockey was played in this District and that this was just a freak accident. I informed them that Hockey is a dangerous sport and that protective gear should be used and that I feel this accident could have been prevented if some sort of gear was used.

I am still very upset and I am hoping that her lip doesnt scar to bad. I just can't beieve that they are allowing our children here to play hockey with no protection. My daughter will be okay but I am still ranting about it I believe that if this is part of there PE that parents should be notified and told about it and be let known that they do not use protective gear. This is 5th grade by the way. UNBELIEVABLE. I do understand that accidents happen but this shouldnt have.

Okay I think I am done throwing a fit. :(

• Members

It is very likely that the school cannot afford/budget for the protective gear, but therefore, should not have bought the sticks and pucks then let the game be played. When I was in 5th grade, we played dodge ball and basketball - cheap to buy equipment for these games and not nearly as dangerous.

Spread the word to as many parents as you can. If my child were in the same class as yours, I would appreciate the information.

Also, I would put scar ointment on her lip as soon as her stitches are out. What's that stuff called? Mederma for kids?

• Members

That is ridiculous! Of course they need to be provided with appropriate protection. And, of course, the school district sends out a letter at the first of every year that states that they do not provide insurance of any kind, and that if your child is hurt at school, all medical bills are the parent's responsibility...

I'm so sorry, Katprr. I hope she is okay.

• Members
It is very likely that the school cannot afford/budget for the protective gear, but therefore, should not have bought the sticks and pucks then let the game be played. When I was in 5th grade, we played dodge ball and basketball - cheap to buy equipment for these games and not nearly as dangerous.

Spread the word to as many parents as you can. If my child were in the same class as yours, I would appreciate the information.

Also, I would put scar ointment on her lip as soon as her stitches are out. What's that stuff called? Mederma for kids?

It's been a little while since I was in 5th grade, but I remember playing Field Hockey in PE from at least 6th grade through to 12th. I don't remember anyone ever being seriously injured while playing the game; I believe we did have helmets... but I don't remember a facemask.

As for a letter to parents, I'm pretty sure stuff like that is in the Student Handbook, which every school I ever attended provided at the start o the year.

• Members

Hey Kat,

I would check the schools handbook to see if it specifically states that no protective gear would be used or not.

I don't know about there, but back in Michigan it was required at the beginning of the school year that ALL children be insured, we were given a form to fill out saying we declined the schools policy because we had our own insurance.

It was also a liability waiver, stating that we would not hold the school responsible for any injurues.

I know in this school district they do not play hockey in the elementary schools, but they do in junior high and high school.

I also know they use rubber tipped sticks.

If the school is short on funding for genuine safety equipement, then why are they allowing kids to use real hockey sticks?

And if they are rubber tipped, that one one heck of a hit your girl took.

If you can not bill the school for the dentist and the ER, then by all means, find out wich student hit her and go after their parents for the bills.

The other child should have been a bit more considerate and watched where the stick was aimed.

I agree with you, all parents SHOULD know that their children are particiapating in " full contact" sports with no protective gear.

• Members

PE can get a little rough sometimes. My former school district only let us play floor hockey in junior high and above. We never wore protective equipment, except for the goalie. We did not use pucks, but rubber balls that don't have much force behind them. But the sticks are wood and plastic, and sure do smart when someone gives your shin a sharp hit with them. BUT there were rules, such as no raising the stick above the hips. If any of the PE teachers saw a hockey stick rise above someone's waist, you were OUT and instead had to go running around the track :D

I had my glasses busted in dodge ball from a hard smack to the face. Thankfully my eyeglasses place fixed them for free. But I was temporarily blinded from the force of the ball for about thirty seconds, that was freaky.

I agree that if the school will not cough up money for the bills, than you should go after the other child's parents. He (or she) was doubtfully following proper playing rules, and was probably doing something stupid like trying to play golf with a hockey stick. I hope your daughter is ok.

OMG Katt!! I would definitely check with the School Board higher up, maybe with the Superintendant or even higher than that. DHS may know as well. I hope your daughter's lip heals up soon! I'd have been all over them like white on rice!! You don't mess with my lil' cub!! Helllllll nawwwwwwwww *said with a southern drawl there*!!!

And, if there is no laws for that, I'd see what you could do about getting that changed (take pics of your daughter's injuries), have meetings, PTA, and so on, and HIGHLY suggest to the school that, unless they can afford to get the proper equipment for those contact type sports, or ones with sticks, then they shouldn't HAVE the sports in the school!

• Members

I would think that the school would be responsible for this but I'm no lawyer. Those kids are in their care on that property. I would think safety would have won out on that game but obviously it didn't. I hope she feels better today.

• Members

They are real Hockey Sticks nothing plastic about them. I checked the handbook and nothing in it about the children playing Hockey. There was also no waiver signed at all by me or my husband. I carry insurance which of course it covered this but I am still upset. I talked to the Superintendant and they just had the PE couch call me. I have talked to the District etc and yet they seem not to care. I honestly am more worry about another student getting hurt. Since they don't seem to understand that Hockey is a dangerous sport and should not be played with some basic protective gear I wrote the news channel here and told them what was going on in the schools out here. My entire goal at this point is to protect other children from getting hurt, also to inform parents here in this District that full contact sports are being played with no gear. I have made it vwery clear that my daughter unless the basic protection is used she will NOT be playing any sports.

When I spoke to the District I asked them what is it going to take for another student to get injured like my daughter or even worse before you open your eyes and protect or children? Of course I got no comment.

• Members

Good for you! I think sometimes too many of us just sit back and do nothing after the initial confrontation. I think a lot of officials plan on that. Otherwise, they would actually have to change policies, and that takes time and effort.

My 17 year old daughter recently broke her nose playing a game in class. This teacher immediately made his own policy that this game would no longer be played.

Maybe we need some teachers to be a bit more proactive...

• Members

Sorry to hear about your girl Kat!

When I was in school, I actually HIT a girl with a hockey stick (not on purpose) and her parents tried to sue the school board AND me and my family. She had a broken nose and needed repair surgery. Apparently, back in the 80's at my school, my parents and hers signed a waiver about injuries. Somewhere in that waiver also cleared me of any wrongdoing if I hurt someone during a school activity such as gym or wrestling.

I think schools have to have these policies in place since baseball, basketball, hockey, football - you can get hurt with or without gear.

I feel bad because I know how raging mad I would be if my child were hurt because of lack of protective gear! I would be contemplating writing a letter to the school board, and perhaps the local paper as well. When we played hockey in school it wasn't actually 'against' each other, it was more passing the puck sort of thing. Are they actually playing hockey, as in running around with the stick chasing the puck? IF so, they NEED that protective gear! 5th graders (not to mention adult players) are not coordinated enough to run, pass, hit the puck and not hit other people!

Yes, I think I would not let this go easily.....

• Members

Oh my goodness! That's insane! I'm glad your daughter is okay kat, but seriously that's ridiculous. But then again, when I was in middle school, looonggg time ago lol. We never ever work protective gear and I was constantly petrified someone was gonna whack me in the face. owww.

• Members

I hate to think it may take a lawsuit to wake them up. That system is already mediocre with all the BS. IMHO, it would be cheaper and would make most parents feel a bit more secure about the public school system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

When I was a kid we played hockey with no protective gear in gym too. The idea was that if the teacher saw a high-stick, ie a stick above the waist, she'd blow the whistle and you got pulled out for a timeout. So that was a good safeguard.

All the same...accidents happen. At her age even if she does scar it will probably go away.

And honestly as a little kid I was pretty fearless, and all of us would have just shed gear just as fast as it could be smooshed on our dumb little heads...so gear would have been useless...

Hope your daughter is okay! It's never fun to get whapped in the face with anything; but I bet she wants to do it again tomorrow doesn't she? LOL!

• Members

I do remember football practice in the 5th and 6th grade here. No gear at all and the only injury I recall is me getting my nose broken by a lineman who wasn't supposed to even be there. I was playing wide reciever and went out for a pass that was thrown a bit high so as I jumped up for the ball I came down and met my lineman face to face. I held onto the ball but that was pretty painful. My nose bled for an hour or so. Of course back then times were different and any contact sport was not played with the girls. Don't get me wrong here I have nothing against women who choose to play any sport. We had 2 girls on the football and wrestling teams in my Senior year. This has little to do with your post but she may go on to do things like the girls I spoke of!

• Members

I used to play full-contact football as a kid too. I always wanted to be on the football team but my parents refused (could this have something to do with me being 85lbs and frail? Nawww). xD

• Members

Frail may be the key word here. Weight has little to do with it. I wrestled at 101lb. all through high school but rarely weighed that much. I did make it to 103 one time and had to wrestle at 105. The girls that played were smaller than me but they never let that stop them.

• Members

Well the frailty is moreso because I'm a wuss...they just refused to let me 'cause I was so small. Pft. Apparently 85lb girls don't need to be on football teams with 200+lb guys...xDDDD

Any updates on the hockey front? Is the school going the pay the bills?