Official Community Forums Home

Awareness And Hugs.

• Members

This isn't to address my hiatus or make everyone realize I'm back. I just wanted to let my TT family and friends in on what's happened.

It's important that I cue you all in, and who knows others might be in a similar position or know someone else who has been there, or not at all. First of all thank you to everyone's unconditional support and encouraging words over the past few years. I have recently been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa and am in the process of seeking professional help. As well as joining a sustained support group. I have been fighting the dancer stereotypes all my life. Especially the association that all dancers have or get eating disorders. I am here to say from experience, that my eating disorder was NOT entirely from being a dancer. The dance world is a vicious place and the teachers/choreographers can be nasty, but there are plenty who are indeed loving and inspiring. But the ballet world is an even tougher, grueling place. I feel a constant pressure to look the way I need to, and even one is thin, sometimes it's not enough. I have had fluctuating weight, loss of hair, a change in my menstruation (explains a lot), and extremely cold. After fighting this weight/appearance battle for six years, I have finally come forward to address my battle. I recently went in for a consultation and I'm looking for a change. I don't necessarily want to gain weight or lose any more, I just want to be in a healthy and happy mind set. I want to continue my dancing, but without the focus on my weight and shift it over to ME. Not the mirrors. I'm hoping to find a counselor or some sort of help that will help me fight through this difficult time. We all have a struggle, and this will be mine.

I'm sorry if this isn't something to address on this site, but I wanted to share a snipbit of my story for anyone out there. I've missed you all, and I send to love to every one, whether I know you or not. I love you all. Embrace yourself and beauty comes in every shape, style, and form.

• Members

It's so good to see you back and I wish you nothing but the best. Just remember that you aren't in this battle alone. We are all here for you and will help in any small way that we can.

Best wishes always,

Man

• Members

How much courage you have to admit your illness. Very hard thing to do, especially when everyone around you is saying that you look 'good' or you are doing what you need to to have a career.

I wish you only the best and hope that you will continue to come on the boards!

• Members

First of all darling, you know I think your GOREGOUS! Not just the outside thing, but you are an amazing wonderful person who cares very much for her friends and family and your generosity knows no bounds.

It takes more guts, backbone, balls, whatever to admit this, more so to confront it than there are euphemisms. Anything you need hun, EVER I'm here for you, gimme a pm and I'll send you my contact info darling.

• Members

Good, Good, Good for you that you were able to recognize that you have a problem and you have the wisdom to seek help. I'm sure we all pray that you will have the strenghth to get through this and come out a happier, healthier young lady.

God Bless.

• Members

You are an amazingly strong young women to have even recognized, you need help for yourself. You have half the battle down, now time to hang tuff for the next part. Good luck honey! I'm here if you need....

• Review Team

You are amazing and so strong. We all wish you nothing but the best! :kiss:

• Members

I am so proud of you and your bravery.

We all love and support you.

• Members

I am so, so very appreciative of everyone's support and positivity. It helps me get through each day that much better. Although I have not really completely told everyone about my recent diagnosis, this is a start. And that eventually, I will let everyone else I love know the truth...

• Members

Littlemissy, I to want tell how brave you are and to wish you all the best. You know you can ALWAYS come home to TT for all the support you need. I want to wish all the best and "God's speed" to you.

• Members

"I'm sorry if this isn't something to address on this site, but I wanted to share a snipbit of my story for anyone out there."

This is an issue that very much belongs here. Top that with the fact that when regulars to this site don't post for a minute we start to worry about them!

Beauty does have many faces and you have it inside and out! Get Better!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I am so, so very appreciative of everyone's support and positivity. It helps me get through each day that much better. Although I have not really completely told everyone about my recent diagnosis, this is a start. And that eventually, I will let everyone else I love know the truth...

Well little lady I was pretty angry about 4.5 years ago when I told my Doctor the problems I was having at work with dealing with folks. He put me on anti depressants. They helped me alot. I had to do alot of soul searching too...and in the end I found out I am my best when most folks just leave me the hell alone especially if they think I should be a good lil liberal. At that point it is best that I just walk away.......

• 2 weeks later...

You know I love ya darlin'!! I'm proud of you for having the courage to face your problem, and wisdom to seek help! Stereotypes suck, and, I'm sure they're strong in the dancer's field. On top of that, being as young as you are, and everything seems to matter on what the scales say, you are the strong one to go and get help!!! *HUGS*

• Members

Thanks Tyger love ya tooo and thank you archer for sharing your wife's story too.

I think the toughest and scariest part of this, is HOW to tell my parents. My mom will literally flip a lid and go a-wall but I need to get it off my chest ya know?

It's just not the right time yet...I'm not ready. Too many hurdles for one jump.