Official Community Forums Home

Birth Control And Sex Drive.

After the birth of our 2nd child my wife has been taking a shot every three months for birth control. Now she has no sex drive at all. She is also stressed at work and I know that has an effect on her too. We were wondering if anyone had any suggestions for birth control out there that don't seem to have the side-effects that the shot has. We seemed to have narrowed it down to stess and maybe the shot that is creating the lack of drive. Any suggestions?

I have heard from friends that have been on the shot, that they're sex drive has gone down. Not really a good side effect for birth control, but effective. I would ask her doctor/GYN what they would recommend. I always had great results with BC Pills. The only time I had a problem with Pills, is when I was on a certain type, and I'd been on it for about 5 yrs, and I had a build up of testosterone in my system, causing headaches & migraines (something I never get). So I got switched to a different type of Pill, and was fine.

In matters such as birth control, hormones, or anything medical, we usually give the same advice (talk to your doctor). That's what your doctor is there for. Always be open and honest with what's going on with your body with your doctor and GYN, cuz they're there to help you and make sure that the medicines you're on are working the best they can.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Good post by Howard, but I suggest you take it one step further. When you get a pharmacist and a doctor's office talking directly to each other about a patient, magic can happen. When you combine what the doctor knows about your health and what the pharmacist knows about medications and how they work, you get great results. Often times the patient is the one left going back and forth, but don't let that happen. Both the pharmacist and the doctor are there for you. Of course this requires you to build the same sort of relationship with your pharmacist that you have with your doctor, but trust me, your health benefit will be worth it. Also, I would suggest the pharmacy printouts or ask for information from their PDR that relates directly to your medications and conditions.

Thurisas.

Taking initiative in your own health is very important. Granted, the doctors and pharmacists go to school to learn their trades. However, YOU know how things effect YOU, and, communication between doctors, patients, pharmacists, all for the benifit of the patient is extremely important~great point Thurisas!!

Also remember, those of you that are thinking of going on some sort of birth control, that everyone's effected my medicines differently. What one person has for a side effect, another may not even show. That's why they always say "possible side effects".

• Members

if a man wants it once a week or less and a woman wants it every other day or so, would using these birth controls even things out for her? after all it's not easy to ask one to do more than he desires it makes him feel like he's 'trying' or 'performing'. besides wanting it more makes me feel like a freak and just makes me irritable when we don't. if i didn't want so much we'd both be happy.

• Members

I used to take the shot myself, unfortunately, the progesterone killed any type of sex drive I had.

I had to stop taking it, not just because of the lack of drive, but also due to the " other side effects"

I always joked and said "I guess thats one way to keep from getting preggers, kill off the sex drive so you don't do anything"

I also suffered depression while on the shot.

If your wife has problems with it, have her see her doctor, and possibly change her form of BC to one that has a lower prostegen level.

almost all birth control forms have prostrogen in them, so unfortunatly, a lack of sex drive may continue to be a problem.

Some women are exeptionally sensitive to the preostregen levels,and a lack of drive will continue.

I suggest talking to her doctor, especially if the situation bothers her as well.

best of luck

• 2 months later...
  • Members

My GF is on the same thing and does not seem to have that side effect from the drug its self. However, some of the other effects do contribute. Long menstrual flows and some depression. These both seriously contribute to a lack of confidence on her part. The drug is actually supposed to eliminate her flow after a period of time but seems to have just the opposite effect. Anyone else experience this?

• 1 month later...
  • Members
My GF is on the same thing and does not seem to have that side effect from the drug its self. However, some of the other effects do contribute. Long menstrual flows and some depression. These both seriously contribute to a lack of confidence on her part. The drug is actually supposed to eliminate her flow after a period of time but seems to have just the opposite effect. Anyone else experience this?

Yes i have experianced this before. i was on the shot after my first child was born, had a period for the whole time all 3 months long, needless to say i never returned for shot #2 ... guess what came next baby #2! LOL I have alwful depression while on the BC pills tried quite a few after #2 was born. then had baby #3 and after that i got an IUD and have had a great time with it no weight gain, extreamly light flow like maybe spotting 1-2 days out of the month. no cramps (except for 2-3 days after it was put in). no effects of depression, oh and best of all it last for 5 years... although i think you have to have given birth and be in a long term relation ship to get one... again probably depends on the MD.

When I first went on the Pill, at age 16, I stayed on that particular Rx for about 4 yrs, which caused a build up of testosterone in my system, and gave me my first migraine ever. Well, I got off that one, and onto another one, which I was on until the age of 29, when we decided to get pregnant. I was never really affected in a bad way from the Pill. However, I've had friends on the shot, and they too said that their sex drives went down and they gained weight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was on the shot after I had my son because I thought it would be easier than remembering a pill everyday with a newborn and I will say that was the worst thing I could do, it killed my drive and really 11 years later I am still trying to get it totally back. But I'm getting there. :P

Now I was just put on Sprintec (the Ortho generic) for an ovarian cyst, they are hoping it will help me not need surgery to remove the ovary. But I did make sure to tell the doctor I didn't want anything that would kill my drive. Since it doesn't help I was also prescribed antidepressants and in that leaflet it did say decreased sex drive. UGH :rolleyes: But so far so good, I have just noticed it takes me a little longer to reach an O but then again it's more fun getting there.

But my doctor was so funny when I was telling her about the shot and the decrease of drive, she said 'Ahh the woman and her drive, one day she'll have a pill too' :lol: And of course that was the day she had a medical intern with her who was a young guy. I looked at him and said "Bet you didn't think you'd be having this type of conversation today" He was a good sport said his dad was a gyno and he heard so many stories. :lol:

• Members

I have heard rumor of such a pill in development but who knows if it will come full circle any time soon! I bet many men would like to see it happen also!

I don't know about the shot, b/c I never got it. I was on the pill for a while, but I now have a daughter to show how well that one worked. The dr. wouldn't tie my tubes so he gave me a copper IUD/IUC. This has been a WONDERFUL thing for me. It does have some s/e, but not too bad. May want to talk to dr. about that one. It lasts 10 years, the copper one does. Mirena lasts 5 years, but it has hormones in it, so that may not be good for the libido thing, don't know much about Mirena. Good luck with all that. Dmhill

• Members

Any form of hormonal birth control - the shot, BCP, hormone implant - can cause a decrease or complete lack of sex drive in a woman. Every woman responds differently so there is no way to determine prior to starting a particular form of birth control what your response will be. The shot is more likely to cause a decrease as it is given in a way that cause the hormone to slowly build up in your system over time. It is very important that you let your physician know if you esperience a decrease in your sex drive so that other options can be tried. (There are over 20 different BCP alone). IUD's (intrauterine devices) are an excellent option. Unfortunately IUD's got a very bad rap in the US during the 1970's (due to one poorly designed IUD that created all kinds of problems). Now there are 2 primary IUD's in use in the US - Mirena and Paraguard. Mirena is good for up to 5 yrs - there is a small amount of progesterone in the IUD that acts locally (only on the uterus), so there is no effect on blood levels thus no effect on one's sex drive. The Paraguard does not have any hormone associated it with is good for up to 10 yrs. Whenever you are considering BC your physician should be willing to discuss all options with you - barrier methods (condoms, diaphragms), hormonal methods (BCP, the shot, hormone implants), IUD's, tubal ligation and vasectomy - to help you make the best decision based on your needs and situation.

• Members

I had an Implanon implant between the children and it totally killed by sex drive. It didn't even enter my head! So much so that it took my husband to point out that I NEVER considered having sex.

After baby #2 I have had the Mirena IUD with no problems. The tiny amount of hormone is enough to stop me getting periods (yay!) and keep me interested in sex all month!

We had previously talked about a vasectomy, but I will keep a Mirena for as long as I'm able!

It's great advise to talk with your doctor, to find out what is best for YOUR needs. Hell, I just learned by reading the previous post about Paraguard!! That almost sounds better for my needs (and I'll be off to find the info on their website). But it's up to you to find out what is your preferred method for BC, so you can learn all of the side-effects as WELL as the benefits.

Best wishes!

• Members
I will keep a Mirena for as long as I'm able!

Research supports staying on the Mirena until menopause. Just keep swapping it out every 5-7 years. (Check with your provider on their comfort level going past the 5 year mark, but science is bearing out at least 7 year efficacy).

• Members
It's great advise to talk with your doctor, to find out what is best for YOUR needs. Hell, I just learned by reading the previous post about Paraguard!! That almost sounds better for my needs (and I'll be off to find the info on their website). But it's up to you to find out what is your preferred method for BC, so you can learn all of the side-effects as WELL as the benefits.

Best wishes!

Tyger, you'll be happy to know that Paraguard is actually showing continued prevention of birth control up to 20 years now. Again, I would recommend talking with your provider, but these are some great methods!

WOOT!!!

• Members

I am very impressed with Leslianne's post. Thank you everyone for the info in paraguard and mirena. I didn't realize that paraguard could last for 20 years!! Woohoo!!! Best news all day...lol!!!! :D